Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sorento 2013 K3 auto model went into Kia for a intermittent clunk, they said it was a rear bush that they
fitted for a cost of £345, but the clunk was still there. They offered to investigate further and did quote £1987 for investigation and possible repair, with no guarantees. I declined, soon after my 4 wheel drive converted to 2 wheel drive and has been since in that mode ever since, goes OK but does squeal when pulling away a bit sharpish.

I am not sure if its the transfer box or actually what, anyone have any ideas before it goes back in July for service, what cost transfer if it is? can it be anything else.
One interesting point is that a couple of years ago (when in warranty) they did tell me that there was a call back on Transfer boxes, on that occasion I had to fit 4 new tyres, they told me I had 2 mill less on the older back that could cause problems.
Any advice help would be good

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
853 Posts
Can't help you much because mine is '05, but you should be aware that the sorento 4WD system is very sensitive to tyre tread depth and will be damaged if it constantly engages?

·
Registered
Santa Fe auto Sorento auto gone. Picanto & i10
5,218 Posts
If the transfer box has gone the propshaft going to the back diff will not be turning. If the propshaft turns but no rear wheel drive it will be the clutch unit fitted to rear diff not working. This lock if selected will disengage at 19 mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Sorento 2013 K3 auto model went into Kia for a intermittent clunk, they said it was a rear bush that they
fitted for a cost of £345, but the clunk was still there. They offered to investigate further and did quote £1987 for investigation and possible repair, with no guarantees. I declined, soon after my 4 wheel drive converted to 2 wheel drive and has been since in that mode ever since, goes OK but does squeal when pulling away a bit sharpish.

I am not sure if its the transfer box or actually what, anyone have any ideas before it goes back in July for service, what cost transfer if it is? can it be anything else.
One interesting point is that a couple of years ago (when in warranty) they did tell me that there was a call back on Transfer boxes, on that occasion I had to fit 4 new tyres, they told me I had 2 mill less on the older back that could cause problems.
Any advice help would be good
Hi Snowflake
I have the exact same model and year as your sorento and it appears the same problem.
As usual a few weeks after the warranty
expired I discovered the rear traction was not working, getting stuck in my own field.
On inspection prop turning with all wheels off the ground but not through the awd coupling-therefore broken coupling! Main dealership quoted 2k to replace! Bought one direct from Korea for £500 Inc shipping, easily replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This can be the issue regarding to the rear diff, however the can suffer from the transfer box splines corroding this can also cause the clunking noise you can hear sometimes. But ye you could do with lifting it and see if all 4 wheels rotate wile off the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts