Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a clunk or knock on their suspension / steering when turning their steering quarter of a turn to the left whilst going over bumpy ground? This happens in my Cee'd when going at a slowish sort of speed about 10-20mph. I have had a replacement steering rack but the issue is still there, I'm wondering of this is a ball joint or one of the bushes on the subframe. Don't know if anyone here has any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think I might have found this, after a new steering rack. This knocking is pointing to a drop link on the drivers side suspension strut. Going into the dealer for a new drop link, hopefully this will solve the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, took my car in on Saturday for the new drop link on the suspension and they admitted that they couldn't actually find what was clunking. The dealer have agreed to just replace the whole suspension strut otherwise this would be a lengthy process of elimination. Ca't argue with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it still isn't sorted, they have replaced most of the components, they have just fitted new shock absorbers on the front, these haven't made any difference. I did see something where there was a bearing problem on the electric steering motor, but now you mention this perhaps there is an issue which isn't that common. Wonder if there's a TSB reference for this yet.
They also fitted a new turbo to try and copmbat the hiccupping problem, this seemed to resolve the problem for another week then hey presto! it came back again.

What I can't get my head round is when they look into the problems i.e. the clunk or the hiccup then I get the car back, everything seems fine for about a week then the symptoms return gradually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have written another very nasty letter to Kia Motors basically stating that I now want a replacement car or I will take this further, alternatively they take this car away and refund the difference outstanding then let me walk away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a nasty letter to Kia Customer Services demanding that the car is replaced they have basically now come back and said that this is with the dealer. The dealer I bought this from Lythgoe motors are a waste of time and couldn't even replace a damaged seat instead they glued it and got glue on my steering wheel. Now I have to challenge this dealer who is no longer a Kia dealer either. Basically Kia have turned round and said tuff! I'm stuck with a rogue car and nothing I can do about it, other than torch it and claim for it!!!
I cannot believe the arrogance and ignorance of car manufacturers, this is the last Kia I ever buy and I intend to write to every car magazinestating not to buy one of these as the 7 yearwarranty is afarce and a load of bulls**t.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does anyone elses steering feel very unstable and light, also if you're driving and very slightly move your steering from side to side mine seems now very touchy and the steering seems to have lost its feel. I know the ceed is light anyway but it feels limp and un-planted on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So in theory they can alter the torque on the steering motor and perhaps make this feel heavier etc?

I did ask this and the dealer said that the motor cannot be heavied up any.

Its difficult to explain but it feels like I am driving on ice most of the time where the tyres don't feel like they're quite contacting the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mine still seems light, but I've had to get winter tyres on mine as the Michelin Energy tyres are just absolutely rubbish, I slid into the back of a truck 3 times in the bad snow because these tyres just have no traction. This is the second accident I have had with this car now on these tyres I will never use Michelin tyres again, never liked them, never will. Now I need a new front end for my car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
To top it off this week I had a puncture and whilst having that repaired I noticed a huge crack has appeared across my windscreen,I remember a big stone hit the windscreen on the motorway and must have cracked it. So the clunk on the steering has gone, the hiccup is still there even after various updates, now I need a new bonnet, bumper and grille, a new windscreen and the hiccup sorting out, then its almost perfect. By then I'll be getting rid of it.
I had the Conti Sport Contact 2's on my Mondeo ST TDCi, they were good tyres but on this car only lasted around 6000 miles, not cheap either. THey did grip well in all conditions not bad in the snow too although it did have traction control. I have Kumho winter tyres now, they are brill in snow it actually ploughs through like a 4x4, but if the road is a little wet then they slide around more than the Michelins. I'm going to get some Nokian tyres for the summer and just keep these for the winter when it snows, atleast I'll then be able to get to my front door.

If anyone knows anyone who can get the parts cheap and labour good and cheap then let me know I need a new front end for my 5 door Cee'd. Oh and a windscreen, or even a car if they have one going cheap!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts