Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a clunk or knock on their suspension / steering when turning their steering quarter of a turn to the left whilst going over bumpy ground? This happens in my Cee'd when going at a slowish sort of speed about 10-20mph. I have had a replacement steering rack but the issue is still there, I'm wondering of this is a ball joint or one of the bushes on the subframe. Don't know if anyone here has any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think I might have found this, after a new steering rack. This knocking is pointing to a drop link on the drivers side suspension strut. Going into the dealer for a new drop link, hopefully this will solve the problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fingers crossed for you Andy, let's hope this cures it for you.
Let us know how you get on matey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, took my car in on Saturday for the new drop link on the suspension and they admitted that they couldn't actually find what was clunking. The dealer have agreed to just replace the whole suspension strut otherwise this would be a lengthy process of elimination. Ca't argue with that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So they didn't replace the drop-link then?
Sounds like they're being fair enough but a bit of a pain keep having to go back and forwards, let's hope this fixes it for you matey.....will keep my fingers crossed again for you.

jamie

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi i was just wondering if you got the knocking problem resolved on your ceed o/f suspension. my local dealer told me yesterday 06/10/2008 that this problem was down to a bush on the electric steering pump and that kia are aware of this and are looking to supply a modification soon. i'm not convinced that this is the problem due to the noise that comes from the car and it only seems to come from the o/s/f

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it still isn't sorted, they have replaced most of the components, they have just fitted new shock absorbers on the front, these haven't made any difference. I did see something where there was a bearing problem on the electric steering motor, but now you mention this perhaps there is an issue which isn't that common. Wonder if there's a TSB reference for this yet.
They also fitted a new turbo to try and copmbat the hiccupping problem, this seemed to resolve the problem for another week then hey presto! it came back again.

What I can't get my head round is when they look into the problems i.e. the clunk or the hiccup then I get the car back, everything seems fine for about a week then the symptoms return gradually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andy
I've had my Ceed (08 plate, 1.6 Diesel LS) since Feb and have noticed the fault with knocking suspension. The difficulty seems locating exactly where the sound is coming from, had anyone else had this problem????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have written another very nasty letter to Kia Motors basically stating that I now want a replacement car or I will take this further, alternatively they take this car away and refund the difference outstanding then let me walk away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THIS knock on my o/s/f is getting worse now even when sat in the car without the engine runing and rocking the steering left to right it knocks and sounds as if somthing is going to drop off, it even knocks when traveling in a straight line on certain road surfaces (not uneven roads, but on coarse tarmac) seems to be lower end of steering coloum taking car back to dealer soon as it is starting to annoy me now!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a nasty letter to Kia Customer Services demanding that the car is replaced they have basically now come back and said that this is with the dealer. The dealer I bought this from Lythgoe motors are a waste of time and couldn't even replace a damaged seat instead they glued it and got glue on my steering wheel. Now I have to challenge this dealer who is no longer a Kia dealer either. Basically Kia have turned round and said tuff! I'm stuck with a rogue car and nothing I can do about it, other than torch it and claim for it!!!
I cannot believe the arrogance and ignorance of car manufacturers, this is the last Kia I ever buy and I intend to write to every car magazinestating not to buy one of these as the 7 yearwarranty is afarce and a load of bulls**t.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1) Go to http://kia-global.com. Click on the "contact" menu in the top right hand: Click on"After Sales service", left of picture, than click on "Contact" . Raise your complaints there saying what kia uk have told you giving letter references etc. If you feel inclined, copy your complaint via e-mails to all the other headings in the left menus, albiet the more people in Kia Korea who know about your problem the better. Tell them too and your letter to Paul Philpot Uk Managing director
2) Write toPaul Philpot, Managing Director, Kia Motors UK Ltd Stockport SK3 0WU in a registered letter, detailing your situation. LEAVE OUT PO Box 464. This decreases the loop.

3) CC your PaulPhilpot letter to the Managing Director,Motor Sports Association at Motors Sports House, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG and also same to Medical Director of St Johns Ambulance Brigade. The Kia Ceed Safety Car and the Kia Ceed Primary Medical Response Car are used by these organisations on British Racing circuits. They won't be too happy aboutsteering "Clunks"

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reading your complaint.
I had exactly the same, on the same road surfaces etc.

At only 500 miles or so the dealer informed me the fault was a defective RHF damper and replaced it whole under warranty. Seems to have cured the problem.

After reading similar entries on this topic seems we are not alone in having this issue.

BMA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seems to have gone after new couplings fitted to the steering somewhere. Now just need to get rid of the hiccup

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does anyone elses steering feel very unstable and light, also if you're driving and very slightly move your steering from side to side mine seems now very touchy and the steering seems to have lost its feel. I know the ceed is light anyway but it feels limp and un-planted on the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What they will have done is to replace the rubber coupling in the steering motor as per the TSB I mentioned before. They shouldn't have needed to touch the rack so steering geometry shouldn't have altered. Assuming that your light steering problem only arrived after the repair, the most likely cause is the wrong programming of the column motor controller.

When the column is re-assembled it has to be set up on the dealers computer system, and there are different tune downloads depending on vehicle spec as the same basic column is used on allCeeds. I should get your dealer to check which tune they downloaded.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So in theory they can alter the torque on the steering motor and perhaps make this feel heavier etc?

I did ask this and the dealer said that the motor cannot be heavied up any.

Its difficult to explain but it feels like I am driving on ice most of the time where the tyres don't feel like they're quite contacting the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The steering assistance levels are set up in software at the factory or via the dealers programmer. They are correct that they can't just invent a new tune. However, different models of Ceed do have different settings, and European settings are also different from elsewhere. I believe they would have to electronically reset the column when they did the fix, so could potentially have chosen the wrong settings then.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts