Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I usually drive in Eco - love the relaxed gait of the car - and have always had the sound enhancer completely off. I’m lucky to have the 2019 upgraded exhaust, so that’s loud enough on its own. I only use Sport occasionally when I want to have fun on my own. It’s quick enough in Eco if you floor it after all!

Today, whilst following a Tesla, my daughter, 13, said, “The trouble with these electric cars is that they don’t make any exciting rumbling noises!”
I replied, “Good girl! Okay, let’s have some fun. Let’s put it in Sport and turn the sound enhancer up to the max!”

She was keen, so much so that she turned off her beloved ‘pumping tunes’ on the Harmon-Kardon.

Well, Clucking Bell (!!), what a difference that makes!! I hadn’t fully appreciated (or had forgotten) how cool the pumped-in sounds added to the forward thrust of Sport was! Talk about a complete transformation of the car. Adrenaline rush! Obviously the sound really adds to the excitement, and I quickly realised I was going a touch quickly for the road and considering my daughter’s well-being!

We had a really good laugh and promised we’d keep the Sport / Enhanced sounds combo for special occasions.

Have just realised, again, that the GTS is at least two completely different cars in one!

Happy days!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with you both, bought mine 06/2019 and get a kick out of driving the car each time. I agree the sport mode transforms it into a different vehicle. I must admit that I like the way it is happy as well when you drive it sedately which for me is usually in comfort mode. Enjoy your Stingers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah, I leave sound on enhanced all the time as I have a silent exhaust (although when I had my boxes modded, as guy there said he thought the car was an M3 before seeing it). It's very true that it does make a big difference in the experience of the car, even though it's fake. Maybe you know, but even on enhanced, the volume of the fake noise changes depending on which mode you're in, so to save you going through the menus dunc, maybe try keeping it on enhanced and seeing how it sounds in eco - it should still be a lot quieter - that way, when you wack it over to sport, it's a fast change into mental mode!

I've turned off all the visual drive mode indications on the main screen so the Mrs doesn't see me change them. Avoids getting an earful. Having said that, in winter, sport mode almost always results in a bit of rear slip so I get the ear bashing anyway!

On the the Tesla front, I'm seeing art least 3 every time I go out these days!

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, I usually drive in Eco - love the relaxed gait of the car - and have always had the sound enhancer completely off. I’m lucky to have the 2019 upgraded exhaust, so that’s loud enough on its own. I only use Sport occasionally when I want to have fun on my own. It’s quick enough in Eco if you floor it after all!

Today, whilst following a Tesla, my daughter, 13, said, “The trouble with these electric cars is that they don’t make any exciting rumbling noises!”
I replied, “Good girl! Okay, let’s have some fun. Let’s put it in Sport and turn the sound enhancer up to the max!”

She was keen, so much so that she turned off her beloved ‘pumping tunes’ on the Harmon-Kardon.

Well, Clucking Bell (!!), what a difference that makes!! I hadn’t fully appreciated (or had forgotten) how cool the pumped-in sounds added to the forward thrust of Sport was! Talk about a complete transformation of the car. Adrenaline rush! Obviously the sound really adds to the excitement, and I quickly realised I was going a touch quickly for the road and considering my daughter’s well-being!

We had a really good laugh and promised we’d keep the Sport / Enhanced sounds combo for special occasions.

Have just realised, again, that the GTS is at least two completely different cars in one!

Happy days!!
You sound like my eldest son who from time to time scares the living daylights out of me in his Golf GTI when he floors it :))

Seems like an eternity ago when I did the same in my Mini Cooper!

Now a sedate oldie in a sedate Optima SW (mind it does have a little bit of grunt)!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I leave sound on enhanced all the time as I have a silent exhaust (although when I had my boxes modded, as guy there said he thought the car was an M3 before seeing it). It's very true that it does make a big difference in the experience of the car, even though it's fake. Maybe you know, but even on enhanced, the volume of the fake noise changes depending on which mode you're in, so to save you going through the menus dunc, maybe try keeping it on enhanced and seeing how it sounds in eco - it should still be a lot quieter - that way, when you wack it over to sport, it's a fast change into mental mode!

I've turned off all the visual drive mode indications on the main screen so the Mrs doesn't see me change them. Avoids getting an earful. Having said that, in winter, sport mode almost always results in a bit of rear slip so I get the ear bashing anyway!

On the the Tesla front, I'm seeing art least 3 every time I go out these days!
Banzibarn, good shout. I’ll have a play with the settings.
Cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Incidentally, you can't really hear the difference in sound between say eco and sport on the enhanced setting at low revs. It becomes much more evident as the RPMs rise.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

There has been much comment on here about the upgraded exhaust from 2019.

Go to 9:07 on this. This is how mine sounds on start up. ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are you trying to rub it in! Ha Ha. Sounds miles better than mine. Oh well, this is the price you pay for getting an early car, although talking about price, it was more the £10k less than a new car's on the road price, so I have to remember that. Plus, we do loads of short journeys - I'm hearing a fair few people complaining about the PPF which I don't have, so I guess that's a positive (he says, trying to convince himself) !

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you trying to rub it in! Ha Ha. Sounds miles better than mine. Oh well, this is the price you pay for getting an early car, although talking about price, it was more the £10k less than a new car's on the road price, so I have to remember that. Plus, we do loads of short journeys - I'm hearing a fair few people complaining about the PPF which I don't have, so I guess that's a positive (he says, trying to convince himself) !
The PPF is a bit of a pain. My commute is 6 miles, so it does come on every once in a while.
To be fair, 6 miles home in sport, or any longer journey clears it, so not an issue and can encourage spirited driving!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Managed to get 36 mpg indicated on a trip from Bradford to London and back last week. Awesome car - real Jekyll and Hyde character :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Managed to get 36 mpg indicated on a trip from Bradford to London and back last week. Awesome car - real Jekyll and Hyde character :)
Excellent work. Got 33 today on way up to London.
67AB0EC3-F13B-4630-A1C3-3A8E6CDE1544.jpeg
Then the PPF came on as I started my return. 26mpg on way back ?

Got back a fair bit quicker....... ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did a 385 km round trip yesterday cruise set to 110 KPH mainly highway driving although some of it quite hilly and usage was shown as 6.8 Litres per 100 Km (41.5 MPG) for the trip
Better mileage than I could ever get out of my Holden Calais V6 3.8 litre

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did a 385 km round trip yesterday cruise set to 110 KPH mainly highway driving although some of it quite hilly and usage was shown as 6.8 Litres per 100 Km (41.5 MPG) for the trip
Better mileage than I could ever get out of my Holden Calais V6 3.8 litre
Wow, incredible MPG!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts