Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a Cee'd crdi sw with climate control and must admit i do not understand how the a/c works i have tried setting the temp manually but it either blows too hot or too cold and i am forever readjusting i have also tried leaving it on the AUTO setting and again the temp is all over the place.
i have owned other cars with climate control (VW Passat) and have never had this problem before any suggestions would be welcome

·
Registered
757 Posts
mickb said:
i have a Cee'd crdi sw with climate control and must admit i do not understand how the a/c works i have tried setting the temp manually but it either blows too hot or too cold and i am forever readjusting i have also tried leaving it on the AUTO setting and again the temp is all over the place.
i have owned other cars with climate control (VW Passat) and have never had this problem before any suggestions would be welcome
How old is your Ceed? Mine is an early one with single control. It is complete rubbish too. I have spent more time faffing with it than I ever did with a manual system. Except I have never had experience of CC in other cars so don't know whether it's the Ceed that's particularly bad or whether it is normal and the industry as a whole doesn't have a clue.

Anyway, I got so fed up with it, I have now put my skills with electronics/software to use and made a "tuning" box for it. I have covered the cabin sensor with a heater and my controller determines the adjustments needed to confuse the system.

My biggest gripe, apart from the seasonal inversion, is that there is no simple method for selecting fan assisted ambient. In the range 13-21 I generally want the incoming air to be unmolested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok its a 57 plate Ls with 2 controls 1 for temp and 1 for blower if that helps at all. auto on 1 and ac on the other

·
Registered
757 Posts
mickb said:
ok its a 57 plate Ls with 2 controls 1 for temp and 1 for blower if that helps at all. auto on 1 and ac on the other
Identical to mine. This is single zone. Later ones are two zone where the fan control has been incorporated into buttons and the two rotary knobs supposedly let driver and passenger set slightly different temperatures. The AQP function has been removed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with the climate control on my 08 Cee'd. Before I asked the dealer if it can be recalibrated or something I thought I would see what other owners have experienced.

I usually find that the system overshoots badly during the first 15-20 mins of running, so it could be pumping out warm air on a warm/hot day when that's the last thing you want. Eventually it seems to settle down but the only way to avoid being uncomfortable is either to turn the system off and open the windows - *very* sophisticated - or turn the temp way down below where it should need to be - say just above the 'Lo' point where it goes into full cooling mode, shuts off outside air and turns the fan up to max.

On very warm days or at least when you've set a fairly wide differential between what the outside temp is reported to be and the temp you want inside - say 9-10 DegC - on 'Auto' the system just doesn't seem to churn out enough of the cool air and I often find I need to select a higher fan setting to get it to take the job seriously!

I suspect the cabin temp sensor is in the wrong place or it's just no good or the control algorithm that looks at outside air temp vs internal temp is ker-rap.

I'd be interested to know if there's any way of interacting with the climate control setup via the ODBII port - anyone from Kia reading this?

·
Registered
757 Posts
piemanpete said:
I suspect the cabin temp sensor is in the wrong place or it's just no good or the control algorithm that looks at outside air temp vs internal temp is ker-rap.

I'd be interested to know if there's any way of interacting with the climate control setup via the ODBII port - anyone from Kia reading this?
I have monitored mine. In one example, when it has been 10 outside and cabin already at 15, I have recorded the air at the vent outlets reaching 35 degrees. (OK for a burst of full heat on a cold day but not when already warm!). Vent temperature then settled at 25. The bulk of cabin air is thus maintained by low airflow. So the balance is totally wrong which makes it feel unpleasant and stuffy. It seems to do the reverse (vent is cold but flow inadequate) on a hot day too.

If you select LO and turn the aircon and recirc off, you can have the fan without heat, which avoids opening a window. It's the mode I have used more than any - even down to a sunny 6 ambient.

It isn't the position of the cabin sensor. The software controlling the thing needs a complete overhaul (and in particular to add a simpler fan only mode, please). I was on the verge of enquiring about the cost of a manual panel until I devised my own fix.

There is a diagnostic. Press and hold the OFF button. While doing so, press the left hand (dash vent) button 4 times. The panel will flash all segments then issue a fault code - 00 indicates no detected fault. If you don't get 00, post the result and I will tell you fault.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting.

Tried the diagnostic routine but couldn't get it to work I'm afraid. I pushed the button immediately to the right of the auto/off/temp selector knob - I take it that's the one you mean - but no joy.

I think I might drop in to the local Kia dealer and see if it's a known issue. Will report back.

·
Registered
757 Posts
piemanpete said:
Tried the diagnostic routine but couldn't get it to work I'm afraid. I pushed the button immediately to the right of the auto/off/temp selector knob - I take it that's the one you mean - but no joy.
Start the CC in Auto. If you press OFF and delay the display just goes blank. It just takes knack. So restart in AUTO, prepare both forefingers; left presses OFF and right immediately jabs the vent button several times. No need for finesse. It will burst into life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got it! That worked, but I got the 00 code so I presume there's nothing actually wrong with it, apart from not being very good.

How on Earth did you discover that btw - experimentation? Or do you work for a Kia dealer?
Edited by: piemanpete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info will try the fault code test tomorrow just to let you know i have fired off my complaint to Kia UK today so lets see if they respond -i will keep you posted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow!

*Some* nuggets - I want to download the lot!

I have emailed Kia UK to ask them if it's a known issue and if so what they are doing about it.

I wonder if I will get a reply?!

Watch this space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tried the diagnostic test as recommended and got the 00 sugesting that there are no faults with the system which only proves my first thoughts that the software program running the rubbish and not a scratch on the climate control I had in my last VW Passat - I have also contacted Kia uk so let's see if a i get a response - and if i do wether it will be possitive.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, stand by to be amazed - I've just had a call from Kia customer care asking me to take the car to my local dealership to have the CC looked at.

If they find nothing wrong using their own diagnostics I am to ask them to contact Kia technical support for suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it.

Not a bad start considering I only sent off the customer enquiry form from the Kia UK website less than three days ago, including a weekend.

We'll see what Norfolk Motor Group, my local Kia dealer, makes of it next.

Watch this space!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is really spooky I have also just had a call from Kia technical asking me to book my car in, and if they do not find any thing they are to call Kia technical - same hear with Grovebury road cars Leighton Buzzard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts