Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just taken delivery of my new Sportage GT Line and was amazed to find it fitted with a cigarette lighter and an ashtray. It’s probably the first car I’ve had in twenty years that’s had them. I queried it with the dealer and was told that it was standard on all new Kia’s apart from the Picanto and Rio.
Seems a little bit strange to me. I was told if I didn’t want them I could take them out and throw them away but that would just leave a hole where the lighter belonged !!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Exactly my thoughts when I picked up my GT line, even the salesman was amazed that Kia had started to fit them again, strange in this day and age...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes I was surprised to find same in my GT Line S after so many years. Catering for the Europeans that still smoke like chimneys LOL(y)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I thought it was daft as well. We thought the ash tray thingy will probably be used to hold loose change for carparks and we'll use the cigarette socket as another power outlet.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Interesting comment from Dealer as Daughters Picanto GT-S has ashtray (used as coin storage in middle storage area) and cig lighter... Used with a extra usb socket.
But my Stonic did not...

Seem to remember a few people wanting the ashtray bit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Didn't have a lighter in my 2018 GT S line either, just the socket.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Seriously! Where would you plug in your 12v devices if it didn’t have the cigarette lighter socket?
You get the lighter part... So you can look at the glowing red rings...

Never understand how you can't eat a banana in a car, but it is OK to light and smoke a cig :rolleyes: unless you have a under 18 in the car....

·
Registered
821 Posts
I can't really understand this, our 2004 Fiesta has a 12v socket but only a plastic insert for it and no ashtray and our 2010 Fabia is the same. Only 15% of the UK adult population currently smokes (reducing rapidly year on year) so it seems odd that Kia are marketing for such a small market. They don't provide spare wheels but do provide ashtrays and cigarette lighters :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A fairy story, but it could be true.
Once upon a time, in a shed far, far away, a couple stores men were doing a big audit in the big Kia stores shed. They pulled a few dozen crates out and found loads of ash trays and cigarette lighters. 'Blooming heck! Why have we still got these?' says the foreman. "We kept them, just in case." says his mate. "Well we had better find a way to get rid of them and make room for all the spare wheels we are not using."

·
Registered
998 Posts
I also had that in my 2019 Sportage, my grandson who has never seen one in his lifetime (he is only 20) pushed it in and pulled it out, he told me it is red and promptly stubbed it in the palm of his hand!

Our next trip was to the local A&E where they treated him for a burnt palm!!! and the cigarette lighter is in the glove box now in case anyone else decides to see if it works or even check out what it is!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sure you can buy a blank plastic replacement if you really don't want it in there and can't face a hole. Which most people won't have as it'll have a USB adapter with a cable for their iphone.

Really, though - who cares? It'll cost about 20p to put in the car and some people might find it useful.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You get the lighter part... So you can look at the glowing red rings...

Never understand how you can't eat a banana in a car, but it is OK to light and smoke a cig :rolleyes: unless you have a under 18 in the car....
If not a smoker then it's hard to explain but I can actually see the logic. For an experienced smoker, sucking on a ciggy takes little concentration. We become one with the little death stick if you like. While admittedly it is extremely hot at the action end, you come to ignore that and if a bit drops off then that's just bad handling, we gave up worrying about ash years ago. I expend a lot more concentration on making sure my drink doesn't spill or my chips don't go down the side of the seat (nightmare!). ?
The eating thing is just a catch-all, from bananas to a full Chinese takeaway, but the last time I checked, it wasn't a specific offense. As it's prosecuted under careless/dangerous driving, it's largely subjective and reasonably easy to challenge. Generally eating requires more time with hands off the wheel but popping a mint in your mouth would be unlikely to attract even the most aggressive of traffic officers. Its another of those things where its difficult to get caught unless you're being blatant about it.

I say this as an ex-smoker and prolific eater. Best thing I did was stop smoking in the car, even before I gave up the nicotine treats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve just taken delivery of my new Sportage GT Line and was amazed to find it fitted with a cigarette lighter and an ashtray. It’s probably the first car I’ve had in twenty years that’s had them. I queried it with the dealer and was told that it was standard on all new Kia’s apart from the Picanto and Rio.
Seems a little bit strange to me. I was told if I didn’t want them I could take them out and throw them away but that would just leave a hole where the lighter belonged !!!
Here in Finland none of the models has a cigarette lighter. Instead many models, for example the Sportage, has two power outlets in the center console, but nothing to put a lighter into.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
Here in Finland none of the models has a cigarette lighter. Instead many models, for example the Sportage, has two power outlets in the center console, but nothing to put a lighter into.
If you have the 12V power scoket. That is what the cig lighter plugs in to. You push it in, wait a bit. It pops out and the end is then hot so you can light a cig.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have the 12V power scoket. That is what the cig lighter plugs in to. You push it in, wait a bit. It pops out and the end is then hot so you can light a cig.
Nope, the outlets are only for chargers and such, a lighter wont work in them, the holders at the bottom are missing. And they are also slightly larger than them normal lightersockets, as we all know they are a bit tight for all the chargers we need today

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope, the outlets are only for chargers and such, a lighter wont work in them, the holders at the bottom are missing. And they are also slightly larger than them normal lightersockets, as we all know they are a bit tight for all the chargers we need today

1 - 20 of 26 Posts