Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for a decent battery charger for a Kia Sport diesel 1.9.
My battery has decided to fail in this cold weather.
Are there any precautions I need to be aware of i.e. can I charge battery in situ; will my radio work ok if battery removed and then refitted etc ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Perfectly fine to charge your battery in situ. Ctek seem to be well thought of and can be set for various types of battery and they have a conditioning setting (recommended as your battery will be the worse for its experience) read teh instructions and follow them carefully.

If you remove the battery various non essential stuff will be lost but radios are not coded these days. If you do remove the battery be careful to reconnect it the correct way round, and make the final connectin to it as cleanly as possible. We have seen some confused electronics when connecting a battery tentatively, caused by power going on and off and on again, it is posible to interrupt the correct start up sequence and bizarre effects can result. If this happens the fix is to disconnect the battery, wait a while and reconnect it again cleanly. If you can possibly leave the battery in situ then do so - far fewer ways to gedt into trouble.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Perfectly fine to charge your battery in situ. Ctek seem to be well thought of and can be set for various types of battery and they have a conditioning setting.
Where is the best place to connect the negative to please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I will connect anywhere convenient but there is a school of thought favouring the engine ground strap.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If the battery has "failed" why not replace it? What the point of charging a battery every day that is past its best?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts