Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,I have mentioned it before, but just wante dto build a little toy for my fiancee (soon to be wife...wow! 6 weeks!)

Anyway, I will do a full write up at some point if people want it, but here are a few shots of the picanto so far:

So in order, 1.0 engine out, 2.0 engine in and on custom mounts, full custom coilovers, adjustable top mounts, Clio 182 brake brackets and calipers fitted, brakes and suspension fitted up. (Re Suspension; we have done away with the rear shock and separate spring setup for a full rear coilover setup. Gives us much more adjustment all round which is fantastic).

This is still an ongoing work in progress, so excuse the "rough around the edges look". It will have an engine bay paint and the block will be cleaned and powder-coated. We have some tasty interior mods coming too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looking good so far...
How do you go on with the DVLA and insurance after doing something like this?
And do you have to have it inspected by vosa or similar for them to test it prior to it being allowed on the road?
Only asking as I've seen quite a few cars with engine swaps and never asked owners about the boring legal stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do it privately then you have to get a special sva check. Because we are doing it with a garage then they are basically honoring the work. With an invoice for the work they have carried out you send off the logbook with the setails of the new engine with all engine numbers etc and they change it over on the system.

I did the same with my astra coupe. That was a 125bhp 1.8 and ended up as a 430bhp 2.1 turbo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow this is nuts, I love it!! Haha.

What kind of 2.0 engine have you dropped in it? Is there a lot of modification work to be done to get everything to fit into place?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a c20xe - vauxhall redtop.
Yes. EVERYTHING has had to be custom built. There is literally nothing for this car!!
It is getting close now. Dropped some bits off to the powdercoater and painter today

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been a bit slow on progress as we have been faffing around with hubs and wheel bearings. You want hybrid conversion...

We have fitted the C20XE engine. To work out the length we needed for driveshafts we slotted the MK3 Astra driveshafts in...wait...THEY FITTED gearbox and hub end!! So, we now had a knuckle and a driveshaft. After MUCH searching we have now found some conversion hubs and found a wheel bearing to fit. I dropped the knuckles at the machine shop to have the width extended 2mm to take the new bearing, BUT we should be back on the floor and rolling tomorrow! Picanto knuckles, Astra MK2 GTE wheel bearings, Astra conversion hubs. Phew...

Another update, the new rad is from a MK4 Astra Turbo as it is HUGE and the water pipes are all in the right sort of place, but it definitely fills the hole and definitely will not overheat! After some cutting and shutting of the new alloy rad with some welding the rad fits the original mounting points.

Oh, and the new seats have arrived.

Edited by: Stu&Amie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys I am new to the forum and came across this thread, I know it is quite a revival but would like to request if I may the final updates for this project? Was it turbo?

I also have a Picanto and hoping to attempt something along these lines just turbo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey,I have mentioned it before, but just wante dto build a little toy for my fiancee (soon to be wife...wow! 6 weeks!)

Anyway, I will do a full write up at some point if people want it, but here are a few shots of the picanto so far:

So in order, 1.0 engine out, 2.0 engine in and on custom mounts, full custom coilovers, adjustable top mounts, Clio 182 brake brackets and calipers fitted, brakes and suspension fitted up. (Re Suspension; we have done away with the rear shock and separate spring setup for a full rear coilover setup. Gives us much more adjustment all round which is fantastic).

This is still an ongoing work in progress, so excuse the "rough around the edges look". It will have an engine bay paint and the block will be cleaned and powder-coated. We have some tasty interior mods coming too.
What coilovers are you looking to upgrade to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeez, I was always thinking about fitting a 1.4 or 1.6 engine in it. Is there enough room for the 2.0 engine then? And what is the ideal goal of this project?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts