Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound like a stupid question - but how exactly do you check the coolant level on a Mk II Carens?

I looked in the handbook, and I can see the radiator cap, and also the tube next to it. All the cars I've had up to now have had a reservoir, with a min and max mark, but am at a bit of a loss with the Carens setup.

Does the tube next to the radiator cap have a scale on it? Because when I look from the side, it's not that easy to make out the level?

Somebody put me out of my misery on this, 'cos I'm sure it's very easy, and I'm just being stupid in not getting it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Strange!My MK3 has a reservoir on the LH bulkhead - looking from the front.
Not heard of any vehicle from about 1999 that doesn't have one.Even my 1992 Toyota Carina had one!

Has somebody nicked yours?

Seriously tho' you mentioned the pipe from the radiator cap - what does this go into?Some older vehicles didn't have a reservoir and if the radiator got very hot, the cap valve lifted and dumped fluid out of the overflow pipe. When it cooled the level fell and needed topping up.
I'm sure one of the knowledgeable regulars will post but other than that all I can suggest is when the vehicle is cold, remove the radiator cap and check the fluid is up to the top of the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2006 Mark 2 Carens and the coolant reservoir is on the LH bulkhead (looking from the front). Minimum and Maximum levels are clearly identifiable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
esdeb said:
I have a 2006 Mark 2 Carens and the coolant reservoir is on the LH bulkhead (looking from the front). Minimum and Maximum levels are clearly identifiable.
2006 was changeover year, wasn't it?

Is yours a diesel? In which case, the handbook shows the coolant reservoir to be, as you say, near(-ish) the firewall, on the driver's side (for a RHD, UK model).

For a petrol engines, it's not, and there's not the same sort of reservoir visible. There's a metal cap (this would be on the other side of the engine bay, at the front, actually on top of the radiator) and next to it, an unusual (well it seems unusual to me, compared with all other cars I've had) plastic tube that I'm guessing leads to a reservoir that you can't properly see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts