Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

New to the Forum so hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any help and advice to come ..........

Just brought a 2004 Picanto for the wife , 1.1 SE with 100k on the clock , I know its a lot of mile but its only had 2 owners and was just £400 .
Really good nick to be honest but there are a few problems which I did know about and will need to fix.

Its got the ABS issue and thanks to this site I know where I am with that.

The wipers (front ) are so SLOOOOOOOW , I mean they creep across the screen , is this a common fault , I suspect its mechanical , lack of lubrication or maybe wiper motor brushes . I will check this out and report back .......

The one issue I need some pointers on is the check engine light . What happens is that I start the car and it goes off ... drive for a little while , say 2 minutes and then it starts to flash , drive with it flashing for a couple of minutes ( car drive normal no changes in power or such ) then it stops flashing again and the cycle repeats !!!
Checked previous posts and its all a bit confusing , some say 02 sensors or even blowing exhausts , the thing I don't understand is the on for a bit then going off .........
I do have a code reader and will try this to see what is reported.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Richard
Exmouth

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sure you'll figure it out once you get a code from the reader. My light would come on for a few days then go off for a week or so then back on for a bit. Turned out it was a P0340 fault which is the camshaft position sensor which I replaced (cost 13 quid).Would be interested to know how it turns out.
Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ian and thanks for the reply.

First the wipers , checked the motor and its red hot , although it moved the arms like I said its so sloooooow .... seems like something s seized up ... thought about stripping it but the connecting rods look like their pressed in place ; so off to Ebay for a replacement , they are £20 ish complete...

The engine light : checked with my code reader and its show P0300 P0302 P0303 ,which is misfire .
Funny because its not , misfiring that is.
The previous owner said she did have an issue 6 months ago "with it jerking" and from the paperwork her local garage fitted a new cam sensor ( as you suggested Ian ).
It was fine after that she said a part from the check engine light coming on now and again.

I have cleared the codes and will see what happens after a few miles of driving .
Watch this space ......

Thanks
Richard
Exmouth

·
Registered
914 Posts
Our 2004 with only 40k miles shows the CEL every so often for the O2 sensor but there's nothing wrong.

I just use a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth scan tool to check and reset.

You can get them for as little as £3 direct from China these days.

·
Registered
914 Posts
MrStinky said:
I'm sure you'll figure it out once you get a code from the reader. My light would come on for a few days then go off for a week or so then back on for a bit. Turned out it was a P0340 fault which is the camshaft position sensor which I replaced (cost 13 quid).Would be interested to know how it turns out.
Ian
Can you tell me where you sourced one for 13 quid?

Cheapest I can see on eBay is 17.50:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kia-Picanto-Sorento-Hyundai-Amica-Getz-Santa-Fe-Camshaft-Position-Sensor-/171211264107?fits=Car+Make%3AKia%7CModel%3APicanto%7CCars+Year%3A2004%7CPlat_Gen%3ABA%7CCars+Type%3A1.1&hash=item27dcfc906b

But you can get them from China for 6.99!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camshaft-Position-Sensor-For-2001-2006-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-2-4L-J5T23071A-30874179-/351522637374?fits=Car+Make%3AKia%7CModel%3APicanto%7CCars+Year%3A2004%7CPlat_Gen%3ABA%7CCars+Type%3A1.1&hash=item51d861c63e

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Richard_Kia said:
The engine light : checked with my code reader and its show P0300 P0302 P0303 ,which is misfire .
Funny because its not , misfiring that is.
The previous owner said she did have an issue 6 months ago "with it jerking" and from the paperwork her local garage fitted a new cam sensor ( as you suggested Ian ).
It was fine after that she said a part from the check engine light coming on now and again.
Jerking can also be caused by too wide a spark plug gap.

I'd have a look at the plugs just to verify. Friend of mine has a Honda Jazz and the gap should be 0.9mm and the actual gap was about 2.5mm!!!

I'm surprised it did not blow the coils really.

Reading on the internet suggested that it was the EGR valve at fault - turned out to be spotless!

One new set of plugs from Euro Car Parts for £13.xx and the car is running perfectly again. Did you know the 1.4L Jazz takes 8 spark plugs?

There's a set at the back which most people don't realise...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kia friends,

Bit of an update .... fitted the new wiper motor unit (£20 from a fleebay) , that's all sorted now.
So easy , remove the wiper arms, (12mm nuts) ,remove the plastic trim covering the motor unit (few cross head screws).
Remove the rust flaky bits from inside the trim !!!!!!!!!!!!
Remove the wiring plug and 3x 10mm nuts holding the wiper assembly and replace and refit.
Easy as that .

As far as the check engine light (CEL) , cleared the fault codes (misfire ) ... went for a drive and its the same .... on flashing .....then off ......... did notice that on hard acceleration it comes on ....not sure if this is a symptom or just coincidence .....

Any thoughts ?

Thanks all
Richard ; Exmouth

·
Registered
914 Posts
Worst case scenario is Crankshaft Pulley Bolt failure....I think the longest thread on here is for that very subject...
It's a known problem and a factory defect I'm afraid to say.

Hopefully it's not the problem of course! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Kia Friends ,
I don't think its the pulley issue as GTD kindly suggests as I have checked the thread and am getting none of the symptoms.
The car to be honest goes really well apart from this stupid check engine light coming on now and again.
There are no signs of any misfires or the such at all.
I have cleared the codes and will check them again today to see if anything new has come up.
Watch this space .................................

Thanks to all
Richard
Exmouth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so to continue .....

Drove the little beast around a bit ( 3 ~ 4 miles ) and the CEL comes on again , flashing .
Checked the codes and I get 300 302 303 , which is misfire on cylinders 2 & 3 .(No misfire felt BTW)
Seems to do it more on acceleration but that may be coincidence .
As an industrial electronics engineer by trade I am used to working on sensors and such but does anyone have a schematic of the engine electrics at all , cant seem to find one anywhere.

Even better would there be a fault flow diagram out there somewhere.... wishful thinking .....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so to continue .....

Drove the little beast around a bit ( 3 ~ 4 miles ) and the CEL comes on again , flashing .
Checked the codes and I get 300 302 303 , which is misfire on cylinders 2 & 3 .(No misfire felt BTW)
Seems to do it more on acceleration but that may be coincidence .
As an industrial electronics engineer by trade I am used to working on sensors and such but does anyone have a schematic of the engine electrics at all , cant seem to find one anywhere.

Even better would there be a fault flow diagram out there somewhere.... wishful thinking .....
Hi there what was the fix for this issue? Cheers Toby

·
Registered
279 Posts
When I had a code for misfire on cyl 2 I replaced plug leads all of them and never had it return. So simple things are often the best to do first,

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I had a code for misfire on cyl 2 I replaced plug leads all of them and never had it return. So simple things are often the best to do first,
All good now, turned out to be crank sensor worn away caused by end float gone on crankshaft allowing the crank to move side to side and wearing the sensor away causing it to throw the misfire codes up 👍🏻

1 - 17 of 17 Posts