Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sportage GT Line S Plugin Hybrid (to order this month)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be ordering a Sportage GT Line S ( possibly Blue with black roof) on Monday.
This car will be with us for two years (company car) and will be replaced by either the same again or an EV. (cash)
So I am not sure whether it is worth getting a charger or waiting to see what the final vehicle needs .
The first question is how long does it take to charge the Sportage from empty using a normal socket and how long with a EV charger. ?
Has anyone worked it out?

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
320 Posts
I haven't seen that official figures have been released yet but a granny charger (3 pin plug) should be able to charge from empty to full in about 5-6 hours, call it overnight. A "proper" charger will reduce this to just under 3 hours.

The limit is the onboard charger in the car, that's 7.2kw I think so no matter what you do you can't go faster than that. Hence just under 3 hours being the best you can do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The specifications are now online so its 5 1/2 hours on a normal plug and 1h 45 on a 7.2kw charger.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Personally I would get a dedicated wall box. Far less of a strain on your home wiring, especially the ring main you will be plugging into with the 3 pin socket.
Add in it gives you future proofing. Also would allow charging on one of the off peak tariffs from the likes Octopus energy.

@Puppy59
Sportage PHEV has a 7.2kW onboard charger.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The PHEV DEFINITELY charges at more than 3.6KwH, those timings are from other Kia models.
The 13 amp "granny" charging is sooooo sloooow that you could probably charge it faster with a wind up radio!
Depending on sunshine, ours is around 2 hours to fully charge, although we now charge early afternoon on sunny days to use both solar panels and battery storage to charge for "free" and still have energy to sell....

Would recommend Octopus Energy as they at least offer best export prices.

To go full EV would recommend checking on cost for a 3 phase domestic supply and a 22 KwH charge point, otherwise you'll spend more time charging than driving unless you can get to a superfast 50KwH near home.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's correct, mine came with a 20amp type 2 cable, had to buy a 32amp cable to get the 7 kW fast charge to work. Think Kia should be supplying a 32amp cable with the vehicle.
Did it come with just 1 cable or do you get both a granny plug and type 2 cable with it?

·
Registered
On order - EV6 GT Line S in Yacht Blue : Initial delivery advised as end of January '23
21 Posts
The specifications are now online so its 5 1/2 hours on a normal plug and 1h 45 on a 7.2kw charger.
I got excited when I saw the specifications had been updated, but having checked on KIA's website, the spec sheet that I can see is still showing N/A for the PHEV - where are you getting the spec sheet from?

·
Registered
On order - EV6 GT Line S in Yacht Blue : Initial delivery advised as end of January '23
21 Posts
Thanks!

I'm interested to start hearing some real life examples of EV range. KIA state 43 miles but I suspect in reality that's going to be 32 at best and possibly even down to 20 in winter - anyone else with a more informed guesstimate?

·
Registered
Soul EV Maxx
303 Posts
I have a soul EV Maxx and I regularly exceeded the range (288). If you run the trip computer you can see miles per kwat. If I get greater than 4.5 I have exceeded the range.
Range / Batt capacity
288 miles / 65 kwat

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Also would allow charging on one of the off peak tariffs from the likes Octopus energy.
We charge our PHEV using the 3 pin "granny" cable. From empty to full (about 12.5 kwh in a supposed 13.5 kwh battery) it takes about 5 1/2 h.

We are on the Octopus Go tarrif which renewed earlier this month. Its 7.5 p per hour off charge and it does not require a wall box.

Will not be fitting a wall box until a) its the law or b) we get an EV (very unlikely - the PHEV suits us just fine).

·
Registered
Soul EV Maxx
303 Posts
For a lot of us with an EV even with a granny charger if you charge between 80% and 20% with a charge rate of 2.2 kw it's 17 hours charge. S no awful lot of us can get away with it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Our PHEV consistently shows 100% range as 38 miles.
Granny 13 amp charging is soooo loooong, 6 hours but with a 32amp 7.2KwH charge point AND cable it's around 2 hours. We've never seen the battery completely out of charge (or below 10%) so, technically, you might get 40+ from 100% to flat...
If anyone is thinking pure EV, think you'd need to consider the cost for 3 phase supply and 22KwH charge point, or you'll be charging longer than driving.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
If anyone is thinking pure EV, think you'd need to consider the cost for 3 phase supply and 22KwH charge point, or you'll be charging longer than driving.
Just making sure the EV you get is capable of 22kW on a AC wall box.
Not many do at the moment. Might be a good future proof. But there are potential extra costs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kevin, is that 38 mile range on the new sportage? Interesting that it is indicating 4 miles less than KIA's indicated range. Can I ask if you've noticed any fluctuation to that? I'm intrigued to discover what the PHEV sportage range is likely to be during the colder winter months and how much the motorway miles are likely to sap from that range.....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
EV1980: Don't understand your question :) It IS the Gen 5 PHEV, what else, see picture and signature details :)
It's NOT less than the indicated range at the time of purchase, if Kia have amended, then news to me, but might be achievable if you drove pure EV mode from full to empty, there's usually a minimum buffer of about 10% that's difficult to get below, as ICE usually cuts in when that low. 38 is what we expected, 38 is what is shows at 100%

iooi: There MUST be pure EV's capable of fast home charging at 22Kwh, else they'd be totally dependent on public chargers at 50 and 100KwH? Surely an EV purchaser is going to investigate how best to charge their EV?
Even a Taycan BEV charges at 22KwhH at roughly an hour per 100km of range.
The point I made was that IN THAT CASE any potential purchaser would need a 3 phase supply to get 22KwH.
Lower than that you just multiply the time you'd be charging and not driving :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts