Kia Owners Club Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
I wonder what happens when Tiddles or Fido runs under the car with ferrous materials in their bell or collar? :poop:
Watch the video. it's covered ;)

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
Interesting video, I'm not sure all potential issues were addressed though.

The supporting infrastructure i.e. street furniture, seems somewhat intrusive, and the example in the video apparently only supports 2 charging pads. Implementation in most UK cities would be pretty difficult - and 85 kHz inverters along with air conditioning are going to add to the ambient noise levels (and radio spectrum interference).- the same also applies to the other fast chargers shown in the same street. I can see one potential issue being interaction between differing 85 kHz charging inverters causing lower frequency beat notes - something which could drive residents barmy!

The issue of ambient noise is a looming problem for all high power charge solutions. While 7.5 kW delivery from lampposts, and similar structures, should not create noise higher power charging points in residential areas may not be feasible because of noise pollution. This is currently underestimated in my opinion having lived for a while in a 14 story flat where all the noise from roof top ventilation and power systems waft around in the breeze creating a continuous almost sub audible hum.

It was also clear that pad to pad distance was somewhat critical to the efficiency of charging - and while there was much talk about the 40-50 kW charge entering the car there was no mention about how much power was required from the grid to deliver that to the charging pad. Positioning accuracy over the pad also seems critical - can that be achieved in a reverse parking situation and by the average competency of drivers?

Promising - but quite a lot needs to be done in relation to standards and compatibility across electric vehicles and some investigation about the impacts to ambient conditions.

At present I can see this as a solution for car park environments, and Taxi ranks, but not for general use in city streets or residential roads.

I would not want any outside of my house! I'm suffering too much radio interference from all the power-line ethernet adaptors and switched mode plug packs in the community to want 85 kHz at 50 kW sitting in the street. Incidentally while the inference in the video was that it was 'safe' I suspect that this solution may have problems with current International RF safe exposure levels. I'm afraid Tiddles, metal charm or not, may already be too warm before the detectors shut the system down!

(Bedtime reading - https://emfguide.itu.int/pdfs/C95.1-2005.pdf )

Reactions: phil866

Registered
As I have posted previously on this and other threads - problems associated with the required future charging infrastructure have been grossly underestimated,this country could end up being very messy/untidy and the worldwide requirement for minerals/metals/plastics to build the infrastructures will be collossal but hey - it is 'green'

Registered
2021 Soul EV
As I have posted previously on this and other threads - problems associated with the required future charging infrastructure have been grossly underestimated,this country could end up being very messy/untidy and the worldwide requirement for minerals/metals/plastics to build the infrastructures will be collossal but hey - it is 'green'
References please.
I don't read that sort of fear, uncertainty and doubt elsewhere. Sure realists will recognise that there will be some problems. There will be no solutions from doing nothing.
Isn't that just classic unsubstantiated FUD - the stuff that circulates on social media, with no reference to facts.

Registered
There sure will be 'some' problems LOL.
I don't know why you have to 'rubbish' different views - like you tend to Robin.
I am just a boringly practical guy,I am certainly not attempting to put the fear of (insert whichever fantasy figure you like) into anybody.
I have a different view and opinion to you - most of our posts on internet forums are just personal views.
If you believe that changing to EV's is going to save the planet - you are absolutely free to have that view - just as I am absolutely free to hold my own views that EV's + the associated infrastructure will not save the planet.

Registered
There sure will be 'some' problems LOL.
I don't know why you have to 'rubbish' different views - like you tend to Robin.
I am just a boringly practical guy,I am certainly not attempting to put the fear of (insert whichever fantasy figure you like) into anybody.
I have a different view and opinion to you - most of our posts on internet forums are just personal views.
If you believe that changing to EV's is going to save the planet - you are absolutely free to have that view - just as I am absolutely free to hold my own views that EV's + the associated infrastructure will not save the planet.
Yes, there is very little negative media coverage to EVs and this make me suspicious. It could be that they are perfect of course but I suspect a conspiracy among media sources that hate to annoy a government that may well be pushing large advertising revenue their way in future on the EV message.
I think most people will make their own mind up and obviously the more wealthy ones will buy the EVs first but keep a ICE car as well, as in my area. Here we have double garages and good front gardens in which to park/charge EVs. However, I doubt the little sub station along the road could cope with the sudden demand for 100 plus fast chargers . People would have to take it in turns to charge- a rota perhaps.

Registered
I would agree but have you ever known the media not to put up all opposition to government ideas

Registered
2021 Soul EV
I doubt that a little substation along the road would need to cope with 100 plus fast chargers, in any residential location. I need to drive for about 3 hours before I'd be ready for the next fast charge, which would take the best part of an hour. That's really my point that councils need to do more to roll out affordable slow <=7kW charging (like home charging), so people plug in and charge for a night or a morning as an alternative to driving to rapid chargers and taking a big spike out of the local power distribution. There are many households which only fill a car at the pump once a week or two weeks (or if it were me in past years, less than that). Most people will have days go by between charging. The more often they charge the less they will be using to get full. You can only charge as much as you use, so what might a typical use be.
Let's take what is often quoted as a fairly average mileage of 8,000 miles (I've rounded up a bit from this - but I'd rather be accused of an over-estimate)
I expect something like 3.5 - 4 miles/kWh (that's what I'm getting, you can compare it to something like the figure you get based on advertised ranges of 250 miles from 64kWh battery or thereabouts = 3.9 miles/kWh)
So if I take only 3.5 I'm being pessimistic. 8,000 miles will therefore use about 2,285kWh.
An average UK home will use about 3,000-4,000kWh per year (I've used this)
So if every car on the road was a 100% BEV there would be something like a 50% increase in domestic electricity use.
But it's not going to happen overnight and we don't know how much less our consumption per household is compared to a few decades ago with less efficient lighting, and electrical equipment. I know that some high tech is quite power hungry, but so were the heavy industries which have changed/shrunk substantially.

I agree that media (mainstream or not) is not all that reliable. Often it likes the sensational at the expense of detail. I don't trust the crop of politicians that do all the TV and get the headlines for what goes on in the House of Commons, but the real scrutiny goes on in things like Commons & Lords committees. That's how we get the occasional knock at the government that it isn't going to reach a target, or that it has wasted money (some people have looked at the detail!). A little of this gets on-air, but then a commonly seen face comes on and smooths over the news. I trust that there are thousands of people doing real hard work and not in the limelight who do the detail, write the reports, inform the "machine" - The w*nk**rs who might gloss over the experts and the reports might not be trustworthy, but it doesn't mean everything is just a matter of opinion. Some people say Brexit will be good and some say it will be bad - all just a matter of opinion... apparently... unless you listen or read the detailed analysis.

EVs will certainly not save the planet. Neither will continuing to extract and burn more coal at a greater rate (or oil or gas.. insert any buried carbon being turned into CO2). Mankind has a voracious appetite for energy. If we stopped populations growing we would stand a better chance of reaching a steady state on consumption, whether consumption of hydrocarbons for fuel or making throwaway fashion.

Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
If we stopped populations growing we would stand a better chance of reaching a steady state on consumption, whether consumption of hydrocarbons for fuel or making throwaway fashion.
Unfortunately, there's little chance of the lack of breeding option happening anytime soon until the so-called 'family allowance' is culled, so I'll stick to my 3 x 3 cylinder two stroke motorcycles in the meantime, and the polar bears will have to sort themselves out. If people had to actually pay for their desires, rather than getting handouts to help, most of the problems would dissolve.
And no, I never had kids before anyone jumps on that one - they aren't natural and lead to empty pockets and worn out braincells very quickly. Better off just buying a V8 SUV and enjoying motoring while we can.
Hopefully, this opinion won't upset anyone. :whistle:

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
Unfortunately, there's little chance of the lack of breeding option happening anytime soon until the so-called 'family allowance' is culled, so I'll stick to my 3 x 3 cylinder two stroke motorcycles in the meantime, and the polar bears will have to sort themselves out. If people had to actually pay for their desires, rather than getting handouts to help, most of the problems would dissolve.
And no, I never had kids before anyone jumps on that one - they aren't natural and lead to empty pockets and worn out braincells very quickly. Better off just buying a V8 SUV and enjoying motoring while we can.
Hopefully, this opinion won't upset anyone. :whistle:
Totally with you on this one Alan, only difference being i only have 1 off 3 cylinder motorbike (and its a 4 stroke)

Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
Never mind GB, hopefully you'll get over it!!! ;)
Way back then, I even had a 2 stroke car!!!

Registered
Did anyone else see this program on Monday evening?
Apparently all hybrid cars emit more Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) than a new standard diesel car.
That doesn't quite make sense, many new diesel cars are hybrids.
does the hybrid version of the exact same diesel motor emit more VOCs than the the non hybrid version?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts