Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Kia Sportage petrol and its started to make a noise depressing the clutch, I am guessing the thrust bearing is going and could pop at any second releasing bearings everywhere. Troule is I've been quoted £4-500 and its apparently a tricky job as the subframe has to come off.
How easy difficult is it to do for an average DIY home mechanic?

I have access to 4 ramps and 2 hydraulic trolly jacks, not ideal for taking off a subframe but I've seen a youtube video, so I don't think it's impossible, also I plan to put the ramps on some scaffold boards for an extra few inches. Still unsure how to support the engine,

Never changed a cutch but I've done wheel bearings & the usual brakes and servicing etc..

I'm worried I won't know things like do I grease the thrust bearing (still researching that one) or what clutch alignment tool will I need, (a universal?) and although I have grabbed every manual I can find but there is no easy walk through explanation. I can find a youtube on a Kia Soul that look familiar, and I presume this engine is in a lot of Kia/Hyundia cars..so I might find more that are similar enough.

I'd really appreciate any advice..

·
Registered
35 Posts
A bit late with the reply but FWIW I have always repaired my vehicles but have bitten the bullet and had someone do mine for me. I have the 4WD version, and after some extensive research about doing the job, I found the lowest price garage in the area prepared to do it, I paid £600 collected and returned within 2 days. Happy with that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A bit late with the reply but FWIW I have always repaired my vehicles but have bitten the bullet and had someone do mine for me. I have the 4WD version, and after some extensive research about doing the job, I found the lowest price garage in the area prepared to do it, I paid £600 collected and returned within 2 days. Happy with that.
I bought a Celica with a noisey thrust bearing at 68,000 and waited for it to fail before repairing it. Five years later I sold it with 138,000 on the clock still making the same noise. I know it's a different car but unless it's affecting the gear selection or clutch action, don't panic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a Celica with a noisey thrust bearing at 68,000 and waited for it to fail before repairing it. Five years later I sold it with 138,000 on the clock still making the same noise. I know it's a different car but unless it's affecting the gear selection or clutch action, don't panic.
It was on the verge of failure so I had no choice.

Reactions: Bodgerer

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
I have a 2007 Kia Sportage petrol and its started to make a noise depressing the clutch, I am guessing the thrust bearing is going and could pop at any second releasing bearings everywhere. Troule is I've been quoted £4-500 and its apparently a tricky job as the subframe has to come off.
How easy difficult is it to do for an average DIY home mechanic?

I have access to 4 ramps and 2 hydraulic trolly jacks, not ideal for taking off a subframe but I've seen a youtube video, so I don't think it's impossible, also I plan to put the ramps on some scaffold boards for an extra few inches. Still unsure how to support the engine,

Never changed a cutch but I've done wheel bearings & the usual brakes and servicing etc..

I'm worried I won't know things like do I grease the thrust bearing (still researching that one) or what clutch alignment tool will I need, (a universal?) and although I have grabbed every manual I can find but there is no easy walk through explanation. I can find a youtube on a Kia Soul that look familiar, and I presume this engine is in a lot of Kia/Hyundia cars..so I might find more that are similar enough.

I'd really appreciate any advice..
I don't envy you and I personally would be tempted by the garage option. I'm sure it's possible DIY. The engine is usually supported by a strong frame that sits on the wings and the engine hangs off the centre on a chain or strap. There are purpose made ones or you could make something out of a metal box section. If the subframe is being removed you will probably need some form of tool to realign it on reinstallation. I suppose it's down to how long you can be without vehicle and the cost difference between DIY or a garage. Good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's only nuts and bolts at the end of the day. If someone has put it together , then with the right kit /info almost anyone can take it apart again.

If you have alternative transport that really helps, as it reduces the pressure on you to get it done quickly.

Although cars are more complex than 20 years ago I really believe there has never been a better period for DIY-ing stuff.

The Internet thru forums and YouTube is an amazing resource, as it the ability to download official workshop manuals in minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts