Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Post long time viewer. So I recently changed the fuel filter on kia proceed 1.6 crdi 2015. Since I changed the filter on cold mornings the car has become extremely hard to start.
Times when it does start correctly the engine seems to take and extra crank before it starts.
I've attempted to prime the fuel filter by attaching a clear hose to the Outgoing piping and using the hand pump.
No matter how many times I do this there still seems to be air bubbles coming out with the fuel.
Is there something I am doing wrong here or is it to due with a poorly housed filter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya Alanmcg131, did you manage to sort your problem? I'm hoping to change my filter this weekend, how much of an arse was it to swap it out? I have a 2012 1.6crdi ceed so I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same as yours?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is it to due with a poorly housed filter
if this is the spin on disposible type, or just a spin on bowl, fill the bowl/filter to the top prior to installation so that there is a minimum of air in there.

It could be poorly housed, was the seal seated correctly? Did you take any before and after referance dimensions? does it leak? was the old seal removed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if this is the spin on disposible type, or just a spin on bowl, fill the bowl/filter to the top prior to installation so that there is a minimum of air in there.

It could be poorly housed, was the seal seated correctly? Did you take any before and after referance dimensions? does it leak? was the old seal removed?
Ya I didn't fill it up before I fitted. Going to get a new filter at the weekend and try that and check all the seals. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Alanmcg131, did you manage to sort your problem? I'm hoping to change my filter this weekend, how much of an arse was it to swap it out? I have a 2012 1.6crdi ceed so I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same as yours?
Just takes a bit of time removing air box. Maneuvering the battery and the ecu out of the way. The fuel lines are a little bit awkward to get your hands in.
One thing I realised I didn't do was close the bleed screw after priming. Not sure if this would have made a difference

·
Registered
131 Posts
My brother was a technician at a Kia/Hyundai garage and he changed many a filter on these JD 1.6's.

He mentioned that they didn't use a diagnostic computer to bleed the system, just use the primer to fill the filter and purge the air.

As long as your filter is seated correctly it should prime and go stiff when the system is primed. That's the low pressure side of the system, he said it might chug a bit before starting, if it chugs for ages prime it some more. He didn't mention using any bleeder on the filter housing as the air/fuel is pushed back down the low pressure return line to the tank.

You could try pumping the primer bulb to see if this helps you?

I need to change mine soon as I think I've some waxing in the filter, I'll film it with a GoPro and stick it on YouTube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just takes a bit of time removing air box. Maneuvering the battery and the ecu out of the way. The fuel lines are a little bit awkward to get your hands in.
One thing I realised I didn't do was close the bleed screw after priming. Not sure if this would have made a difference
Thanks for your help, turns out I didn't get time to replace it in the end because of the weather and my car decided to give up on me, on the way to work and home again the engine cut out everytime I tried to accelerate above 1.5rpm. it's been going into limp mode for for a little while at 3000rpm and rev hunting at idle while at traffic lights. Have been thinking either fuel filter or MAF or dpf, I don't have a code reader at the minute so gave it back to the dealer and he's been advised it's the filter so fingers crossed 🤞. On the plus side I'm getting my clutch and front breaks done while it's there so saves me a job getting under the car in the snow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts