Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any members have any issues whenchanging down gears on the Cee'd 1.6 CRDi. Mine is difficult to change down into second when on the move, and almost impossible into first unless your at a standstill - problem is worst when the car is cold.

Thanks
Edited by: pjm1507

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yip had that on both Ceeds and on Rio. Worse in winter. Obviously down to theviscosity of oil, too heavy maybe for our cold climes or a tight box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some experiance of this issue.

My clutch release bearing failed on Wednesday of last week. might be worth getting it checked out, because it was a pain in the back side to change down for a few weeks, then developed a squeak before it finally failed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ONly thing I've noticed on my 08 SW is reverse gear sometimes doesn't engage and I get the usual whines and grinds when I let the clutch out. Gotta pop the clutch back in quick and reselect reverse from neutral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 16crdi is a little 'notchy' going into gears - but I can change on the move. It might help if you pause in neutral before gently changing up/down. My only gripe is that I have to be going less than 18mph to get from third to second; any faster the gears act like a brake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
gripper its quite normal for the gears to act like a brake as you describe.

I am not a young man anymore
. So when I learned to drive many years ago it was taught that you changed down the gears fourth to third gear (we only had 4 if you were lucky otherwise 3) and then third to second gear as a means of slowing down and using the gears in effect as a brake.

This was because brakes at that time were not very effective when compared to today, and they still seem to use the old stopping distances in the highway code, so you can see what I mean.

The braking effect you describe will be even more noticeable with a diesel engine because it has a higher engine compression ration than a petrol one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with Eric. Engine braking is a useful phenomenon. I missed it when driving an Auto Saab. I was taught (back in the dark ages) to use the engine to brake as it evens out wear on the cylinders. Don't know if that's an old wives tale though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Apparently difficult change into 2nd gear, both up and down, is a known issue on the Hyundai I30 which has an identical engine and gearbox combo. There is a fix involving a special lube on the linkage which is the source of the problem and not the gearbox itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts