Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MOT is due soon and thought I should replace my 3rd brake light as the bulb has gone. Does anyone know how to remove the cover on the tail lift, does it just pop off or do I need to unscrew the back panel. Dont want to crack the panel by trying to pop it off
Any advice would be very welcome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The manual says:-
1) Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal
2) Open the trunk lid (tali gate) and then disconnect the connector of high mounted stop lamp
3) Replace the bulb by rotating the bulb holder to the clockwise direction

Just like that!
No help given on access - not a lot of use

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's what it states in my handbook too..
Really have no idea on how this is even possible as there are no covers or exposed screw head to even get to the bulb..

I know for the rear lights to be changed, you have to unscrew the whole light cluster. Would have thought it would have been much easier to have an internal cover that unclips to access the bulbs, which is more common on practically every car that isn't a Kia..

anyway, if anyone has even changed any of these lights, please post on here so we can cheer in celebration on how simple the job probably is..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a look in the back of mine yesterday. It looks like you have to take off the all the trim panels, starting with the lower one (which is the higher one when it's open, if you knowwhat I mean!), as they appear to be layered on top of each other.

Might it be worth calling in at the dealers, to see if there's a freindly mechanic who's done this before and can tell you the answer?

I'd love to know!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems like a whole lot of bother for 1 bulb.. Koreans.. all the same.. Similar to my hyundai I had before my Kia. To change the bulb on that, i had to unclip a cover, unscrew the 3rd brake lightfrom the bootlid, then unscrew the light assembly unit, then unscrew the bulb bracket from the unit to change a bulb. They always make things so complicated.

I changed the radio in that car too for a cd player, and to do that I had to remove the glove box, disconnect the heater, remove the center console to unscrew the radio bracket to remove the old radio before putting my new one in.. LOL took 2 hours to do a 5 min job

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, it's not easy but can be done, basically the trim is all clip fit, but hard to pull, basically it's brute force and ignorance that's required. I grabbed the tim, put my foot against the boot lip and pulled hard with my face all screwed up and eyes closed. Then when the trims clips release, picked myself up off the gravel with the offending trim in my hands and my wife looking down at me, wondering what the hell just happened and why I was flat on my back on the floor, legs akimbo

·
Registered
473 Posts
LMAO sounds like a proper korean car then! I think I'll just take mine to the dealers and let them tackle it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day All

Good news I got mine off. It is so easy once you know how... "Even a Blond girl can do it."

Open the "boot-lit" and take the outside cover of the light by pulling it down word. simply twist out the bulb and replace.

See images...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep that's different from my 06 Rio then, you have a cover just for the light, Mine has a cover stretching across the width of the tailgate like this pic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, am new on forum, but saw your old post about changing the high mounted brake light, so hoping you are still active and you don't mind me bumping this old thread? I have a 2010 Rio Hatch which sounds similar or same as yours, as regards this brake light. I think some other owners may be confused about the difference in a hatch/5 door and mix it up with a boot lid rather that the lift-back. Anyway, like you, am a bit scared about forcing the trim section from the lift up to gain access to the bulb. Before I embark on the same course of action, I Just wanted to confirm that you were also able to fit the trim back without any problem? Cheers, Rikko

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, pulling the trim off is tricky, it's a mixture of brute force and extreme care but it can be done. The clips, if I remember are spring steel wedges retained on plastic tabs, which slot into slots in the tailgate pressed steel.

I have broken a few of these tabs off in the past, mainly on the large lower panel which covers the wiper motor, but as there's usually quite a lot of them, the part will still hold in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks for your reply
. Seems I have little choice but to try the same approach. A check of the Owners Manual looked very promising but was of no help for this task. In Section 7 (page 7.53), under "High mounted stop light bulb replacement" it only shows the 4 Door version with a "trunk lid", and sounds so easy in that case! My Rio is a 2010 hatch but from your picture I imagine it's the same layout. Let you know how I get on once I work up the courage..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.