Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While many UK drivers are only beginning to get their heads around all the modern, safety tech in our cars, in Spain where they are more bureaucratic than we in the UK, new measures will become a legal requirement in all new cars this coming summer.

I only mention it because the Guardia Civil traffic division tend to enjoy setting up checkpoints quite frequently and I'm sure they will be applying the regulations vigorously! Unlike the UK where traffic police are almost an extinct species in large tracts of the country, in Spain and particularly in major tourist areas, they seem to be omnipresent.

At a guess, foreign-registered vehicles may well be targeted (on-the-spot fines are easy money for them) so any folk thinking of driving through Spain this summer would be well advised to fully acquaint themselves with all the current rules and regs.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,956 Posts
While many UK drivers are only beginning to get their heads around all the modern, safety tech in our cars, in Spain where they are more bureaucratic than we in the UK, new measures will become a legal requirement in all new cars this coming summer.

I only mention it because the Guardia Civil traffic division tend to enjoy setting up checkpoints quite frequently and I'm sure they will be applying the regulations vigorously! Unlike the UK where traffic police are almost an extinct species in large tracts of the country, in Spain and particularly in major tourist areas, they seem to be omnipresent.

At a guess, foreign-registered vehicles may well be targeted (on-the-spot fines are easy money for them) so any folk thinking of driving through Spain this summer would be well advised to fully acquaint themselves with all the current rules and regs.
Also, if you are subject to an on-the-spot fine insist the copper gives you an official receipt.
About 25 years ago I was stopped in Czech Republic for a very minor infringement and the copper tried it on by showing me his "official" ID with the equivalent of £200 hand-written on it. I refused to pay and insisted he show me his receipt book instead. When he realized I wasn't going to pay he turned his ID over and there was written the equivalent of £8. I paid and insisted on a receipt which he begrudgingly gave me. That ruined is beer money for the week!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts