Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted part of this on the Sorento forum but think that there may be a general answer to this query.

Do any members know if it is possible to modify existing Kia Sorento (2005) headlamps so the beam dips to the right instead of the left. I need to modify the headlights in this way for use in Europe permanently after we move to France in a few weeks. Buying conforming replacement headlamps is going to work out quite costly, with prices ranging from £350 to 1000 Euros per set.

Any member with any experience of this?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am not sure if Kia supply headlight clusters with a toggle switch to flick left / right deflection, my old Mitsi had this but my previous vauxhall astra did not.

So some cars do and some do not.

A cheap way around would be to get those deflection stickers that can be stuck on to deflect the beam. not ideal but work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are intending to re=register the car in France the stickers solution is a bust. It will not pass the French CT (French MOT) which is mandatory for cars being imported 2md Hand in France.

Have checked a few of the French on-line parts suppliers for you and none list the headlamps foryour car so it looks like the dealer is the best bet.

Have you got all the new French forms you require noting that the system completely changed here at the end of October last year. If you have been getting advice based on what used to be the case then you'll have all the wrong forms

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mojomoh,

Thanks for that. I have just started researching the process of re-registering my Sorento, and have conflicting replies about how to go about this. My undertanding is that I take the Certificate of Conformity and the UK Reg document (V5) to the Hotel des Impots and receive a Quitus Fiscal form. The vehicle has been owned by me for nearly 3 years, soI do not require to produce a receipt from the dealer (this was accidently discarded a while ago anyway). I arrange insurance for the vehicle.

I then arrange for the vehicle to pass the CT ( I will change the headlamps over before I go, but will have any other modifications done there). Then taking all these forms, along with ID, proof of residence and payment, go to the Prefecture and apply for a carte grise using Form CERFA 13750.

This is probably the "old way" - correct me if I am wrong please!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well that's partly OK and the form you require is the right one. You do need to get the Quitus as this gives the official Puissance Fiscal (Taxable Horsepower) and the registration tax you pay is based on this.

However, the system has been centralised so you no longer need to go the the prefecture. By far the simplest way is go to a garage local to you and ask them to do it all for you which they are now able to do.

Note that to get the CT you have to go to a test centre and these are not garages and can do no repairs or changes. They are test centres pure and simple.

If you are ending up anywhere near here (South West) thenI can tell you where to go

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again mojomoh...very helpful.
Can you just confirm what the local gagage are able to do?

I would have taken you up on the offer, however, we are ending up in Maine et Loire, which would be further north than you are, but thanks anyway...appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The garage should now be able to do the re-registration process for you. You will still need to get the Quitus and the CT yourself, but they can do the paperwork thereafter. Note that you will need proof of address so a utility bill and also proof of identity, a passport is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts