Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Can I ask what’s people’s opinion or experience of wax protection of your KIAs paint. Is Ceramic the best or traditional wax?

Thanks

Den

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had three cars in the family ceramic treated including my Picanto. I think it is invaluable. It makes the car far easier to clean as the action of running sponges / chamois, etc across the slick surface is far less than without the coating. Anything that gets on the paint won't penetrate it either (including bird droppings). So far as durability is concerned, since the cars were / are garaged, hard to say, however one car went for four years without any perceptible deterioration in the coating performance. And my own Picanto is still obviously perfectly fine after two years. What wears out a ceramic coating is really only long term mechanical abrasion whereas other coatings will succumb to both abrasion and chemical / environmental factors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sausage,
I'm definitely going to do mine then. Do you polish it on like normal polish?

Den

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you polish it on like normal polish?

Den
No, you don't do anything to these coatings other than normal washing with a good quality product and good washing practices. Polishing would actually compromise the coating and make it worse since polishing is an abrasive (even if it is very mild) and as mentioned previously, abrasion is what will ultimately wear the coating away no matter how careful you are over time (albeit very slowly over a very long time measured in years).

Most of the coating products do come, however, with a sort of "booster" which you apply as part of the wash every so often (once or twice per year for me with a garaged car in a climate where the car does not run in the rain very often) but all the boosters consist of are an incredibly mild "wash on / wash off" version of the original coating. The original coating itself is in a completely different league though - if you applied these sort of coatings yourself and did not wipe them off in time they sort of set like an epoxy resin and only sandpaper or heavy compounding would get them off! That is another reason why it is best to leave it to the pros since they made their mistakes long before they started taking customer's money :)

Just make sure the shampoos you use are good ones (I use the UK DoDo Juice brand) and that you use good cleaning products and use the two bucket method so you look after the finish better.

I had my mother's Picanto Opticoated, one car I previously owned Ceramic Pro and my own Picanto was done with Always Dry (a strange brand name I know). My personal experience is that Opticoat did not perform as well as the other two, though Opticoat is still a lot better than a normal polish and sealant.

Not sure what you have in the UK (I am in Australia) but to be honest, there are a lot of Ceramic coatings out there these days and the performance ultimately comes down more to the skill of the person applying it (since it needs good preparation for starters) and how well the owner looks after things once it has been coated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just picked my 2014 plate ProCeed up last Friday and payed for Gardxx to be applied and they cocked it up as there are 'rough' patches on it and if I look at certain angles it looks like it has dried and ran on the paint so they are going to redo it in a couple of weeks, pissed me off a bit to say the least and the more I look the more blemishes I can see

1 - 5 of 5 Posts