Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to be shopping online for a set of disks and pads for a car, not fancy hi performance pads, just standard every day pads, and it appears I now have a choice from from one of my favourite manufacturers, ATE.

Ceramic, or standard which is apparantly non-asbestos organic (or NAO)

Anyone with an opinion or experience of Ceramic pads on standard disks?
I fancy them because they are supposedly designed for driver comfort. They are apparantly the least noisy and produce very little messy brake dust.
They are apparantly not so good in extreme cold.

I figure if a manufacturer of standard parts now provides them as an alternative they must be ok for everyday use.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Can't say I have ever had an issue with noisy brake pads but that brake dust is a PITA but I didn't know ceramic pads could be used with ordinary discs. What is the price differential?

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Reminds me of when sintered pads 1st started to come out.

Trouble is very rarely wear any pads out these days.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the price differential?
the price difference between ATE standard and ATE ceramic is so little it's not worth taking into consideration.
Price difference between Brembo standard pads - ATE ceramic pads is about £30, which is worth it if it means avoiding brake dust, and wheel cleaning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used ceramic pads on a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon [100 series] and found them to be great. However some people seem to have found them to be noisy. Mine were quiet. I still have an unused set for the back axle.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
disks and pads have been ordered. ATE claim less wear on the disks. Time will tell if there is enough wear to keep them rust free.

·
Registered
705 Posts
https://oards.com/ceramic-vs-metallic-brake-pads/Cons of Ceramic Brake Pads
Ceramic brake pads cost more money than metallic brake pads. Since they don’t cause as much friction against the spinning brake discs, the ability to slow down or stop the vehicle will take a little longer with ceramic brake pads.
If you are driving a big vehicle like a truck or SUV, then you shouldn’t use ceramic brake pads for those. The stopping power will be even worse for them.

Non OEM parts could affect your insurance too. Minefield.:eek:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ATE pads and probably any similar intended as OE replacements are not that much different to organic pads apparently, most users would not notice the difference and they are not 100% ceramic, but a mix of various ingredients.
There is a lot of outdated info about ceramic pads on the WWW, apparantly many electric cars use them which is why they are now available for some non electric cars also.
Back in the early 60s, the seat belt was also considered unsuited for every day driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts