Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few posts about central locking not working, but wondered if anyone has come across the problem that had just started on my 03 Sedona.

Every time I open the drivers door the Central locking locks everything, luckily it does not if the key is in the ignition, but you can hear it trying to.

Is this another ECU ETACs problem ?

The danger is that at some stage it will lock with the keys inside if I forget that it is doing it.

Anyone got any advice ?

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good Luck with this one - my father in law had a 52 Sedona that started doing this - he took it to 3 Kia dealers and 4 Auto electricians and no one could sort it - he had every switch and sensor tested/replaced as well as some control box that was supposed to control the door locking system. but in the end the doors were locking and unlocking themselves at various times - with keys in or out. He contacted Kia and they were not interested. In the end he got rid of it as it was driving him mad.Sorry to be negative but thats what happened.
The only other thing that I learnt when trying to sort this out, was that sometimes the remote keys can develop a fault where the switch in the key keeps pulsing and sending out a signal that opens and closes the doors, without you pressing the buttons. If you have a spare remote key try using that and keep the other one well out of the way. If you don't have a second remote key try using a normal key and open the vehicle manually to see if the doors still lock themselves. Worth a try.
Good Luck

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mt Mk1 locks the doors after 15 secs if the keys are in it. I have to remeber to take the other remote when at the MOT station and the tyre guys. Once it's unlocked via the inner door rocker its doesn't do it again till its locked and unlocked. Not a big problem think it may be to do with the alarm system

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, Don't look good for a quick solution.

I did think I could prevent it by disconnecting the door switch, thus loosing the benifits of the interior lights coming on and the external lights going off etc. But on checking, the door switch has no effect. The door locks activate when the door is open approx 6 inches. I would assume its in the wiring loom to the door somewhere.

As a precaution I think I will sepeate the key and fob and always keep the fob in my pocket, Just in case I forget to grab the key when I get out.

Oh the joys of electronics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, If I track it down to the ETACS I will let you know.

I have answered your PM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks murphwiz, I thought it was looking like a loom problem from the symptoms I was getting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts