Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rio passenger door lock failed.
Car doesn't get used much.
30k miles approaching 8 years owned from new..

It failed on me whilst departing for a long journey. Not good as I could not lock front passenger door using internal latch handle or externally at my unsecure destination.

After having a dig around the latch I found a twist knob similar to child lock. But its inside the greasy latch mechanism, which you can turn with your key. You can use this in an emergency when latch motor fails as it then manually locks the door.

Ordered a used replacement for £20 on eBay on my return. Swapped out relatively easily, now working again

Unfortunately you cant swap out the DC motor as the latch is glued an metal riveted together.

Hope this helps anyone stuck when this problem strikes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Inquisitiveness got the better of me and I prised apart the latch and found the motor with burnt brushes.
It can be reassembled and glued back with a replacement motor from eBay.
The smaller motor I believe is not used, as it's for cars with an internal lock lever handle.
IMG_20210726_201133929_HDR.jpg IMG_20210726_201614709_HDR.jpg IMG_20210726_201714762_HDR.jpg IMG_20210726_201821297_HDR.jpg IMG_20210726_201855047_HDR.jpg IMG_20210726_203518172.jpg IMG_20210726_203311190.jpg
However for me it was easier to buy a cheap used unit and swap it out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Symptoms:
Car tries to auto lock doors. Fails first time, then retries 3 times in succession. The door lock led continues to flash warning driver of a failed lock attempt.

Cause:
The door lock has a motor and locked position sensor switch. If motor fails to latch, the sensor switch will not close, triggering the failed lock attempt scenario.

Temporary workaround:
To secure car, insert key in greasy latch zone to twist the notched disc to locked position, then close door. It should now be locked externally, unless opened internally or via remote.

Diagnose:
Identify the faulty door lock and replace it. Most likely a failed motor. Less likely it's the door harness wiring loom near the door hinge.
If all locks fail to lock/unlock, then check fuse, or it could be a faulty door lock relay inside the body control module.

Fix:
To replace door lock.
1. Remove door card , 3 screws
2. Pull back pvc door backing
3. Unplug 5pin connector
4. Remove inner door handle , 1 screw
5. Remove latch torx bolts, 3 screws
6. Unclip external door handle
7. Swap latch.
8. Reattach door handle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts