Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am about to buy an '09 plate Cee'd from a Kia dealership and have put down a deposit. All looks great but I am a little concerened that the 7-year warranty conditions have been slightly breached. The car was first registered at the end of April 2009. It's first service was carried out at the original Kia dealership it was bought from in mid-june 2010 - therefore nearly 2 months late after the initial 12 month period but when it had only 7800 miles on the clock. The car is now nearly 2 years old and has 11,000 miles on the clock. The current dealership will carry out the 2 years service before I buy it. They say that it is still under the 7-year warranty and have agreed to issue a letter with the sale to say as such. I am a bit concerned that if anything goes wrong in the future that Kia will claim that the car did not meet all the Kia warranty conditions, or that when I sell it that I cannot claim that it is still under warranty (even though I intend to service the car in the future within the warranty guidelines). I'd be interested to know if anyone believed that this car is not now under warranty due to it's first service being carried out at nearly 14 months?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The previous owner has not complied with the requirements of the warranty thus I would say you would have problems claiming on the warranty. Personally I would say the car is worth considering but I would want a letter not from the dealer but from Kia themselves confirming it is still covered by the warranty. If you cannot get a letter from Kia walk away, there are plenty more cars out there.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thanks for your advice. This has been really helpful. The dealership has faxed me through a copy of Kia Service Enquiry screen showing that the car is in warranty with Kia for 5 more years, however this does not take into account that the 1st service was done late. I spoke to Kia themselves and they said that if there was a specific fault that could be attributed to the fact that the first service was done 2 months late then this specific fault would not be covered under warranty, however they said that this is very unlikely particularly as the mileage is so low. Thedealershiphave now done the 2nd service one month early. Thedealership seem very confident that the car is under warranty and don't thinkI have a problem and explained that a lot of cars with low mileageare not servicedexactly on time but remain under warranty. I have just got to decide whether to follow through with the purchase. The only thing that concerns me is if I buy the car and keep servicing it on time to the warrantybut in 3 years time I maystruggle to sell the carprivately with the balance of the warranty remaining. Or that if work needs to be done in the future at another Kiagarage they may try to get out of it doing it under warranty. Any further thoughts would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Think you have answered your own question. Kia cannot absolutely promise the car is still 100% under warranty and you sensibly question what a different Kia dealer may say should you go elsewhere for work to be done. Obviously they will have no knowledge of your discussions with the selling dealer and trust me, they will not take your work for it.

Walk away, you will quickly find another.

Paul

·
Registered
662 Posts
there's no issue with this car we would happily buy service or repair the car under the warranty especially if the two services were carried out by KIA dealers its more of an issue where services are not carried out by KIA dealers and then you and KIA cannot be sure what was done and if it was done correctly if you want reassurance get the letter from the selling dealership the advice given by KIA is correct but as the mileage was still so low it would not be an issue. problem ones are where its two months late and over mileage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts