Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my ceed in for it's first service today 8832 miles from new received a phone call from dealer after 2 hours to inform me that the head gasket was leaking water and oil anyone else had this problem?My concern is once the head gasket has been replaced the car will never be the same again and to me this is not something I would expect from a car less than a year oldhaving only covered 8832 mostly motorway miles.
Please let me know if you have had this problem.

·
Registered
437 Posts
does seem strange at so low mileage but random failures unfortunatly occur, its covered under warranty so do not fear..... you will never feel anything different once its repaired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply but I am not happy with it I am thinking of getting rid of it once it's been repaired. I really am not happy with it having such major work done at that mileage this is my first Kia I have had 2 brand new Fiesta's before this and both of them had no major problems within the 3 year warranty period and this has happened within the first year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
deejay said:
Hi thanks for your reply but I am not happy with it I am thinking of getting rid of it once it's been repaired. I really am not happy with it having such major work done at that mileage this is my first Kia I have had 2 brand new Fiesta's before this and both of them had no major problems within the 3 year warranty period and this has happened within the first year.
It is not "Major work" it is a head gasket, a routine repair for a well equipped workshop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies I have slept on it and I agree with you it is really nothing to worry about at all.I just hope that I get my car back soon as I work nights and there is no public transport at the times I need it so it is costing me in taxi fares.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just been round to the garage today to ask if they had a courtesy car and the answer was not any at the moment, And they have had authorisation from kia today to carry out the work under warranty. They will be taking off the head tomorrow to see what/if any more damage has been done to the cylinders. They are looking at close of play on Tuesday if no further damage is done other than the gasket will keep you informed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
deejay said:
Just been round to the garage today to ask if they had a courtesy car and the answer was not any at the moment, And they have had authorisation from kia today to carry out the work under warranty. They will be taking off the head tomorrow to see what/if any more damage has been done to the cylinders. They are looking at close of play on Tuesday if no further damage is done other than the gasket will keep you informed.
I shouldn't worry too much, but I can thoroughly understand your concern - I had a Rover 25 with the notorious K Series engine which is pretty much guaranteed to develop a head gasket problem at some point. I drove over 10 000 miles after a decent garage skimmed the head and fitted an uprated gasket, with no problems whatsoever. I'm sure that car would have happily done many more miles after I sold it too.

Hope you get it back good as new soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Stew am looking forward to getting it back cos taxi to work and back is costing me over £20 each way if I get an early start I can get public transport one way so it's not too bad some days.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, you are covered by warranty so the head gasket will be repaired.

I had the same thing happen to me on my 2004 Mercedes C180K after it was just two years old with 22k on the clock!!! You can image my disbelief and anger having purchased a premium car - that was the last thing I was expecting. Made even worse that the Merc engine wasn't even prone to that fault. Even the dealer was surprised and had never seen it happen...I was just the poor unlucky one.

But sure enough it was repaired under warranty and they gave me another C-class saloon to use for the week. I had a few sleepless nights thinking perhaps I should get rid of it as soon as it was repaired, but it made no sense. I decided to keep it and the car drove and performed just fine happily ever after - I kept it for 7 years and never had any other problem relating to anything to do with the head gasket. In fact I only got rid of it last year to buy my C'eed, and that was because it was getting older, had plenty of miles on clock and was getting expensive to run being high tax and a bit of a thirsty petrol engine with an auto box.

As others have said, don't over panic. People say head gasket failure and you think 'get-rid' but for any competent workshop it is a common enough repair. Yes it can be expensive, but if you have a warranty it isn't half as stressful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to update this post got my car back a day later than promised went to work Wednesday night no problems got in car Thursday morning just got on the motorway and the engine management light came on and the car went into limp mode took it back ringways in Leeds still no courtesy car they rang to tell me it was 1 of 4 sensors so they had to keep the car overnight so i should have it back Friday they rang me later on Friday to ask if i could wait until Saturday then on Saturday they told me than water pump is now leaking and it wouldn't be ready it is now Sunday and i am still without my car.
Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all got my car back today hopefully everything is ok see what happens when i finish work in the morning fingers crossed.I must say one thing about ringways kia in Leeds they put me half a tank of petrol in as a gesture of goodwill.
I will give you any updates if/when they happen just a relief to have my wheels back.
Thanks for all your advice mu
ch appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.