Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to trade in my 2008 1.4srCeed fora2006 diesel RioZapp mainly to cut down my payments plus gain onmpg. I picked the Rio up today and first impressions are its quicker in acceleration than the Ceed. I am amazed how quick it is for a 1.5 diesel. Obviously it will be better in fuel. Its easy to drive and fairly comfortable. I've got to say tho' the handling is not as good as Ceed. I also miss the radio controls on the steering wheel. But I am really happy with it so far.

Davy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just compared the tech specs for the Rio diesel and the ceed diesel and I can now see why the Rio diesel gives a bigger bang for buck (not just money wise).

I have not driven the Ceed so I can't give a balanced Rio vs Ceed opinion.

However,

The weight of the Rio is nearly 200kg's lighter than the Ceed, so the bhp per ton is slightly better on the Rio even though the BHP is slightly less (109Bhp vs 113Bhp).

I have had the car for over a month now and still am impressed at the torque and hill climbing ability.

Try looking around for other diesel 'super minis' that have more Bhp (there isnt many).
I would even go as far to say that these little cars beat a VAG 1.9l Diesel (89Bhp).

I have given up trying to attain as near as possible to the quoted 60mpg but I do regulary get 50mpg.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you on the power comparison it has to be better than the Ceed. I drove the 2ltr turbo Diesel Pro-Ceed and that is a flyer. It puts out about 140bhp.
I have never had a test in a 1.6 diesel Ceed so cant comment on that one.

The Ceed is a great car to drive, brilliant handling, great brakes and alot of extras.

I noticed you can get a chip for the Rio diesel and it gives another 25bhp and 50nm of torque for about £80. Not a bad increase for a few quid.

Iam still covered by the 3 year warranty so if it needs anything I will be covered.

I was reading a few driver reviews on the Rio diesel and a few were complaining of excessive inside tyre wear on the fronts. Have you experienced this problem on yours.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Davy

No tyre wear yet in 4000 miles. I do check regularly.
I wouldn't be surprised if the problem had been fixed on more recent Rio's (mine is an 09 plate).
I do suspect that if it were to happen it would be down to the cheap tyres that are supplied on the car from new.
I did read that one person had changed the tyres for the top of the range Michelin and the tyre wear problem has gone away. They also noticed the increased grip as well.

Something to bear in mind then.

As for chipping a Rio Diesel, I to have thought about this but I do not know anyone that has had their Rio chipped (135 Bhp these excellent engines can be chipped to).

I do wonder if :-
the gear box and drive chain can handle the extra power
Warranty void if chipped ?

I would definitely be interested if a chipping company could temporarily chip a car then drive it for a day / week to find out and then un-chip the car back to normal.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think the warranty would be void if you chipped it. My warranty expires end of July so it will be ok to chip after that.

I would think the gearbox etc will be able to take the extra power. Its not as if you would be constantly giving it stick all the time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
fair point.
I wont bother then.
I am only interested as the car is quick anyway and I am interested just how much quicker would it be.
Btw, the published time of 0 - 60mph must be wrong.
The Diesel Rio feels quicker than 11 seconds

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They say the Ceed 1.4 takes 11.6 to 60mph and the Rio 1.5crdi about the same but in my opinion the Rio is much quicker to 60 than the Ceed.
The Rio diesel can certainly gallop up the hills in 5th gear where as the Ceed 1.4 you have to drop a gear or two.

So far I'm happy with it. I only saved £2 on changing my insurance. The road tax is the same as the Ceed 1.4 £120 but next year the Rio will be reduced to £90, another wee saving.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am glad that it is a cheaper car for you.

I am surprised the road tax is £120 a year.

I have the 'chill' edition and road tax for this is a staggeringly expensive £35 a year !

Yes the hill climbing ability is really good. puts other cars to shame.
Cheap insurance as well is a bonus

·
Registered
157 Posts
I moved the other way, Rio- Ceed due to needing more room. The Rio is great little car,the 1.5 crdi unit is superior in some respects to the 1.6crdi I have now.
I did 30k miles trouble free, you will find mpg and performance improve after the first service. While the handling may not be as sharp as the Ceed due to the softer suspension setup it is by no means bad in normal use. It tends to under-steer if you get a bit naughty on the bendy bits
. This could be cured with a set of stiffer shocks.

Some Rios left the factory with poorly adjusted steering resulting in the car pulling to the left this is a known problem and easily fixed with a camber and castor check and is covered under warranty.

Good luck with the Rio I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks eyebee my Rio has done 19800miles and has had 2 services. The car drivesstraight with no pulling to one side.
The front tyres were replaced at the last service which was done at 19550. The car will be 3 year old at end of July but the garage did an mot on it and they failed it on pitted rear discs which they replaced under warranty. So I have a full years mot now and I dont need to worry about getting one at end of July.

I got the car from Pheonix Kia in Linwood Scotland and the sales manager is a good guy to deal with. I got my Ceed from them and got a good deal on that one. They certainly do their best to help you.

I may get a set of alloys for it in the future after the front tyres have worn out just to improve the look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts