Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I presently drive a 1.9TDi Octavia saloon but need to get an estate or similar as we have a golden retriever who has to squeeze into the boot of the Octavia.

I was wondering if the Ceed'd SW is a viable alternative to the octavia combi?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Take fido down to a Kia dealer and try it for size. They will be happy to let your dog in the back especially if its a long haired retreiver
. They cast 24/7.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me about it. In fairness the Skoda dealer suggested taking him down to try out the back of the Octavia Combi and the Yeti for size.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got the SW and a very large, WHITE, LONG HAIRED, German Shepherd

He fits quite happily intot he back of the SW. It started off with a dark grey interior and is now white and fluffy. Only good point? It's remarkably easy to wipe the hair out. Go for it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
photoemt If I remember correctly the problem with the Octavia estate is that it has exactly the same loading lip as the hatch back you already have. The floor layout in the estate and hatchback is the same its just the roof line that is extended.

However having said that the Octavia boot is much larger than the Kia Cee'd SW but there is still ample room for a large dog Labrador size in the back of the Kia two of them if you want to. The floor is also completly level with no loading lip, so the dogs have an easier time getting in.

I have had a Labrador and my mobility scooter in there at the same time. The dog didn't mange to ride the scooter very well though she kept crashing it into the side of the boot.

Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
57 Posts
mad1 said:
I have 2 bernese mountain dogs who sit and lay down quite happily in the back of my Ceed SW

Good grief!

Did you have the suspension upgraded?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If carrying a dog in the Ceed SW, make sure you put a non slip mat in the back first. I have a delicious memory of putting my GSD in the back and turning off a local roundabout to see Solo sliding from left to right in my rear mirror, with the most disconcerted look on his face!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Eric said:
However having said that the Octavia boot is much larger than the Kia Cee'd SW but there is still ample room for a large dog Labrador size in the back of the Kia two of them if you want to. The floor is also completly level with no loading lip, so the dogs have an easier time getting in.

Actually not correct. Ceed SW has capacity of 1664 Litres as compared to Octavia at 1620 Litres but like you say the Ceed has a totally flat floor and low loading height.

Also SW is 6cm taller than the Octavia (floor to roof) which helps for the taller dogs especially if yours like our GR prefers to sit rather than lie down.

Concur with the poster re a boot mat. er indoors lashed on up by cutting up an old childs duvet and covering it with a sutiable non slip(ish) fabric. Works a treat. But beware if you do your own; the boot is not symmetrical.
Edited by: mojomoh

·
Registered
94 Posts
mojomoh When I said bigger I should have said bigger floor area. My mobility scooter would easily go into the Octavia in a front to back arrangement and also side to side, but it only fits side to side in the Kia. There was a time when many dealers must have thought me mad I would go into a showroom with a tape measure and measure everything that appeared suitable, there were not that many. Things like Mazda 6 hatch or estate but hatch has loading lip, Ford mondeos same again, and some others.

If snow had not fallen on the day I was due to test drive the Mazda 6 estate that's what I might havepurchased. My Kia dealer only had a Pro-Cee,d in the showroom but the dealer rep assured me it was the same boot as the Cee,d so I measured and it would fit. The SW also lets me get some luggage or a large dog in as well, and most of them can jump in by themselves a big help as I cannot lift them. Even then the flat floor lets you get the dogs front legs on the floor and they help you a lot when you lift in the back legs.

In case you wonder I do voluntary driving for an organisation that uses large dogs and sometimes use my own car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Indeed Eric - the octavia has a longer boot measured from seat back to tailgate - not sure about the width. Reason I know? Before buying I did a spreadsheet of boot measurements for a range of cars specifically to assess the biggest boot for buck as the dog in our house comes first! I was gobsmacked to find that in terms of voulme it's up there with the biggest with only the merc E class, Mondeo and mazda 6 being bigger. It's bigger than the Volvo V70 for pete's sake!

Your point about the loading lip is well made and a big factor for us dog lovers. It's also got a lot of storgae under the floor for dogstuff including bowls water leads and the like.And our GR being the stubborn GR that he is refuses to get in by himself even though he is quite capable of doing so, Bless him!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies,

now its a case of seeing which dealer does the best deal for me. Both Octavia Combi's and Cee'd SW's are hard to source here at this time of year.

I have a purpose made dog mat with high sides and drop down front (to protect the bumber), this stops the GR sliding about. He's not the best traveller and knows how to be stubborn, so I usualy end up having to lift him in (no easy job when he's planked himself down and refuses to co-operate).

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is very much tongue in cheek but something I was investigating for the mobility scooter was an electric hoist to lift it in. If a suitable harness was made this could lift in a big reluctant dog.

Not using my own car but driving for the organisation last week had a dog (bitch actually) GR who absolutely loved cars, no sooner was the tailgate open and she was in, even when it was only for me to get something out.
Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
56 Posts
photoemt said:
He's not the best traveller and knows how to be stubborn, so I usualy end up having to lift him in (no easy job when he's planked himself down and refuses to co-operate).

I can so identify with that!!

Amazingly he loves going in our Cabriolet sitting on the back seat (full dog harness clipped into seatbelt sockets)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update, after much searching I settled for a Skoda Yeti, not as much room in terms of volume, but loads of height for himself to stand up and look out. I was very impressed with theCee'd SW but could not source one at a decent price.
I got a better deal in terms of spec and price to change, on the Yeti. Would have had to fit an after market bluetooth to the Cee'd which would have pushed it beyound the price I had to pay for the Yeti.

Downside of the Yeti is that the ride is a bit harsh.

Maybe in two years time when I'm looking to change again I'll source a Cee'd Sw at the right price.

Edited by: photoemt

·
Registered
56 Posts
The whole spec thing is bizarre frankly. In France Bluetooth is standard for the Ceed across the range from the basic to top spec!!
That said the yeti was on our list along with the Octavia. Octavia blew out due boot not being flat with a strut across the load bay between the suspension turrets; and it was more expensive and less warranty. Yeti failed due high loading bay which we were moving away from as we were loosing the 4WD. and Ditto on price and warranty.

No question though, if it had not been the ceed it would probably have been a Skoda as nothing else in the class came close.

Edited by: mojomoh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THe problem over here in Ireland is that the distributers have chosen only to import two spec's of the car. The basic one has 113 BHP but no bluetooth or ISG, the 2nd spec which is 1500 euro extra and has bluetooth and ISG but only 89 BHP. Both only have electric windows in the front, no ESP or day time running lights.
This car would walk out of the showrooms over here if the distributers got their act together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep and in the UK ISG is only on the 89 BHP engine - here in France it's available only on the 115 BHP version! Go figure!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A batch came in with ISG on the 115 BHP along with privacy glass, bluetooth and electric rear windows, but as they were 2,000 euro extra, the powers that be decided not to import anymore, meaning the residuals on those that were sold, may not be great.
Kia Ireland is owned by Kia UK which means we end up with the spec that they feel will sell best.

Edited by: photoemt

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ordered the fitted rubber boot mat for my SW. When it arrived, it turned out to be a plastic tray! I explained to the parts manager that this wasn't what I'd ordered as I wanted something to stop my GSD sliding around in the back as if his bum was on ice skates! This tray was slippy plastic and would be dangerous for the dog. The parts manager took it back and refunded my cash.
I finally got a universal rubber mat (which has to be cut to size) from Halfords for half the price of the Kia plastic tray. My GSD now leans into the bends like a pro. No more rear view mirror shots of the dog sliding from side to side with a look of consternation on his face.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts