Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had car for 6 weeks and covered 1100 miles from new.

ISG deactivates most of the time for no obvious reason.

Nature of journeys have been such that conditions for activation of ISG should be met. I've made a point of this for testing.

Back to dealer once who confirmed a problem. Testing showed battery unable to attain more than 75% charge and this would account for the problem.

Tried solution was garage charging to full capacity. It was expected that this would then allow battery to attain full charge in the car. Cause was thought to be prolonged storage of the battery prior to delivery. (Like a battery "memory" effect).

System worked for journey home from garage (5 miles). Next outing of about 50 miles, ISG deactivated all the time. All conditions for activation should have been met. I suspect battery is still not achieving a full charge.

I will contact the dealer again!

This model is fairly new and my dealer hasn't seen many of this 4T spec. There aren't many posts on forums.

There are many posts about similar experiences with Hyundai ISG systems and Kia and Hyundai are are similar under the skin.

·
Registered
197 Posts
See 'ISG - When should it work' topic below yours. You are not alone, I have come to the conclusion that battery state of charge is the reason for ISG not working due to alternator management being suspect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine is on and off it stops for a few days then all of a suddend it starts working again then goes off for a bit. It is very battery orientated but I think maybe the logic parameters need adjusting as they may be to tight but thats just my opinion especially as they are selling this car on its ECO Dynamics which this is part of.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Today, mine has worked at every stop. Even with Air Con on and the temp gauge still on cold. It does have a mind of its own! Other days, it refuses to work, even when all of the expected parameters are met
<div nuan_tabactive="true" id="nuan_ria_plugin">< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="undefined" name="tabId">< value="109" name="counter">

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just an update. Worked as expected again today with Air Con on and fan on a high rate. When ISG cut in, noticed the fan reduced speed to silent. Car was supplied mid March so if we all have the same software version, it seems that the car is intelligent enough to override the air con for short periods. Presumably if the engine stopped for a longer period, a rise of the inside temp would trigger a restart even if the falling battery voltage did not cause it to cut in first. (Or am I living in a fantasy world?)
<div nuan_tabactive="true" id="nuan_ria_plugin">< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="undefined" name="tabId">< value="101" name="counter">

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latest update on the ISG. Car has been with the dealer for 2 days again. Found battery only achieved 67% charge (75% previous time). Dealer liaised with technical support who suggested workshop overnight charging of battery followed by 4 hours resting then testing. Problem thought to be caused by prolonged storage prior to delivery. Charging hopefully will overcome the problem. Certainly worked on driving home from dealer in peak period stop-start traffic but have been there before.

I don't really have a lot of confidence. If batteries have this known pre-delivery storage problem, why don't they sort it in the pre-delivery inspection? Components will carry date codes.

I'm not particularly worried about the ISG system deactivating but it seems to be symptom of an underlying problem of the battery either not charging in the car, or not holding its charge.

Because of the ISG system the car has an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery. Reading about this battery type suggests they are very sensitive to how they are used and very much a cost compromise for the purpose of repeated starting. 150 miles of continuous driving before each stretch of stop-start with no day long stops seems to be what is required to keep 72% charge needed for the ISG to activate!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think a software update is required to fix this problem. I have monitored battery voltage whilst driving and have observed the battery not being charged when the engine is running under minimum load whilst going downhill yet starts charging at a high rate when going up hills. Just the opposite to what should be happening!

The battery also discharges at a fair rate if the car is not used for a day or two.

There has been a suggestion elsewhere that switching the lights to auto, rather than off, minimizes discharge when parked. This seems strange because when on auto, one would expect current to be used to monitor light levels. However when parked, the lights will not auto activate so one would not expect this to have any effect.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re Lights to Auto

There are two contradictory postings on this. One says lights to auto, the other says lights to 0.

I little thought suggests lights to 0 because auto would mean sensors constantly monitoring the light conditions and hence using current.

However if there are faults in the car's software the behaviour isn't necessarily what logic would suggest, just as one contributor has monitored battery charging and discharging whilst driving to find it the opposite of expectations!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Brian,

Having exactly the same problem. Will watch this post with interest. We found battery completely discharges after 4 days of not using the car - lights set on Auto.

ISG has not worked yet, but only done 113miles.

Why cant they use a conventional battery! I used a conventional battery that had stood idle for two years to restart a flat battery in my Golf.

·
Registered
217 Posts
brian_1945 said:
Re Lights to Auto

There are two contradictory postings on this. One says lights to auto, the other says lights to 0.

I little thought suggests lights to 0 because auto would mean sensors constantly monitoring the light conditions and hence using current.

However if there are faults in the car's software the behaviour isn't necessarily what logic would suggest, just as one contributor has monitored battery charging and discharging whilst driving to find it the opposite of expectations!
Would the bit about sensors constantly monitoring go for having the wipers on auto also? any thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest update 23/6/13.

I haven't used the car much since getting back from the dealer (who just charged the battery) on 12 June when the ISG worked as expected on the journey home.

Next time out after not being used for a few days, the ISG is deactivating.

I've investigated how the state of charge of the battery is measured. The conventional way is specific gravity of the battery acid and voltage. You cannot measure the SG with a sealed AMG battery. Voltage is about 12.6v (cheap digital meter - claimed 5% error bound) when the car has rested for a while. However there is always a slight battery drain because there is always some electrical demand from the car.

I decided to buy a battery charger suitable for AGM batteries and went for the CTEK MXS 5.0 recommended in this forum.

I was very hesitant about charging without disconnecting the battery but eventually did it that way without any problems (the CTEK charger claims it doesn't damage other electrics). There are two programs for AGM batteries and it isn't clear which is appropriate. Eventually on the CTEK website I found advice to use the normal setting unless the battery manufacturer advises the cold weather program. Next problem: I cannot see the battery manufacturer's name without removing the battery so decide just to use the normal setting since it is likely that knowing the name will not help.

I charged the battery overnight. The CTEK goes through various stages. the first 3 completed quickly (getting the battery to 80% charge) then the Absorption stage to 100% took several hours. Finally the charger reaches a float stage. Immediately after charging the battery voltage was over 13v but declined over a few hours to settle at the usual 12.6v.

I left the car for a day (off charge) before testing. The ISG works as expected!

My plan now is to see how things go for the next few weeks, using the charger if the car sits unused for long periods. I plan a lot of use mid July which should be a fair test.

I've looked up Bosch's web site. They have test equipment for their systems. I've emailed them with symptoms and asked if they have local experts. I must ask the dealer if they actually use Bosch test equipment.

I can understand that my pattern of car use will cause the battery to lose charge and hence deactivate the ISG. What astounds me is that it is taking 200 miles of steady driving, with little use of electrics, to sufficiently charge the battery. It might be that the battery needs a "running in" period and things will improve.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Further update:

I've just returned from a week in Yorkshire covering about 600 miles.

I fully charged the battery before departure. Travel pattern was 200 miles Edinburgh to Yorkshire, another 200 miles spread over 3 days out with no travel on alternate days and then 200 miles return journey. Air conditioning and sat nav were in use much of the time (this was the spell of 29C temps). The ISG activated as expected all the time.

One journey involved circumnavigating the outskirts of Leeds and Bradford with much stop start with the ISG activating at every stop.

It is looking as if the system operates perfectly providing you have the appropriate pattern of driving for the car. Park up for a few days and the battery charge drops below the 75% for the ISG to operate and it takes a lot of driving to get the charge level back up. It is a big capacity battery and we are talking % of full charge rather than any absolute charge. Perhaps there is some sophistication to the charging system to conserve the engine power used and which results in the battery charging more slowly than might otherwise be expected?

It might also be that there is a sort of running in period for the battery so that it develops its full capacity over a period of time. Others have reported ISG systems suddenly starting to work after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just had my vehicle back from the Garage today after they have had it for the past 4days.
Vehicle being Ceed 4tech SW that is just 1year old and the ISG has never worked from day one.

The car has been into the dealers at regular intervals to have this problem resolved but I think I stand more chance of spacemen landing in my garden than I do getting this problem solved.

This last visit they have upgraded the smart key Module and the Battery charging sensor and fitted a new Battery.

I had only driven 5 miles from the dealers stopped the car at traffic lights and guess what up came the De-activeated sign on the dash. I phoned the dealers back straight away and was asked if I had turned any instruments on or used the fan by this time I can tell you I was well fuming. After 4 days being in the garage and me doing all the calling to find out how things were going I think I have finally lost it.

I do think KIA should read all these customer posts and do something about the situation instead of referring us to our dealers who it seem have no idea how to solve this problem.

I do not expect to buy the top of the range 4Tech and not to be able to see that it functions correctly. If they do not resolve the problem I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the car and buying another brand
which I do not really want to do as I have had a Ceed SW previously and had no trouble with it but the attitude of the after service is really bad take your money and run syndrome.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mines ( 4 sw) booked in tomorrow for a latest software update which they say has only just been released . Mine came with the module already installed (April 14) but needs software update to activate (?) .They had it for 5 days about 6 weeks ago they say its all to do with keyless entry draining battery.we will see .
see also this thread
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/isg-when-should-it-work_topic13503.html

Edited by: davehinch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dave jigsaw937 here I have had a new battery fitted and the key module done also but as I said in my last message the ISG stopped after 5miles from the garage. My husband had a call from Kia customer Services only being told all that the garage has said to us how using certain things on the car can cause the battery to lose its charge and that this stops the ISG working.

I am afraid I refused to talk to KIA anymore as I would really lose my temper with them.

My husband spoke to then instead but all they could do what tell us all the rubbish that we have been told for the past 12 months and not give us any solution to the real problem. We said that there were loads of people on the Kia Forum with the same problem and why did they not read all the complaints, and his reply was oh we don't look at that its full of people just moaning about the cars. DOH ! But isn't that what the customer forum is for.

In the end he said why don't you try another dealers garage to get the problem solved I was livid, my husband explained that the fundamental problem was with the Car the electrics cannot cope with any pressure put on the battery you cannot manufacture a vehicle and say that it does this that and the other knowing that the battery cannot cope with the drain on it.

What happens again when winter is upon us and we has to use the rear and front de-misters or use the heated seats if we sit with the radio on to long a warning comes up low battery its just silly.

We feel that at the end of the day this problem needs to be sent back to the Kia Manufacturer and they must solved this problem once and for all and not keep shying away from the fact that there is a problem on the ISG System and why is the battery not able to keep its charge sufficient to keep the system running and performing as it should.

I love the car but I am afraid that it has made me think twice about buying another one if this is Kia's attitude to its customers after they have purchased the vehicle. I have driven other makes of car with the stop start system and they don't seem to have this problem.

So I have given up I will just drive the car ISG or not and hope that KIA will eventually wake up and do something about it.

An unhappy Angel

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had my software update for the key module done on Thursday working OK so far . this is a new update for the 4/4tech which has only recently been released or so Ringway Kia in Leeds told me . Maybe get your dealer to touch base with Ringways to see if they can help or speak to KIA direct -that's what Ringways did .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too have a Ceed 4 Tech hatchback, its 2 years old and has over 30,000 miles on the clock. My ISG is so so, over the summer it worked a lot, even with the A/C on and on one occasion at a railway crossing the timer reached 8 minutes then the engine restarted on its own. (I had a further 4 minute wait until the gates went up!)
But recently with the damp weather I have noticed that it is not functioning, but also that the A/C is coming on on its own. I can sometimes feel the air temp in the car drop and when arriving home, the A/C fan is running. I am now wondering if this is due to the auto defog system. It clearly works as the indisde of the car windows never mist up, except when initially started, but this is due to moisture in the heater unit from the last operation. It is possible to deactivate this, it has several modes of operation up to the full blast on the windscreen, so it is often ticking over in the background. I wonder if this prevents the ISG from working.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have a rio 3 diesel 10 months old, I can have ac on, lights on.
Rear demister on and it works perfectly every time.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
ISG is deactivated when you set air direction to screen only. This is because the A/C is switched on by default. Applies to level 2 spec so I assume it also applies to level 4.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts