Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Been out in the car this morning in pretty bad snow, probably 8" on the street now, it coped pretty well especially when you realise it has the 17" wheels with 225 tyres.

Some years ago I had a G o l f GTi that was useless even in a couple of inches, fitted some proppersnow tyres on readily available standard steel wheels and it was much better. This has got me thinking about fitting some more suitable tyres on either 16" or even 15" wheels. Does anyone know where to get such wheels, obviously there are the usual suppliers but if I do consider this seriously I don't want to spend a fortune on wheels for just a few months a year.

Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi again

Further to the above does anyone know if the Soul and Ceed use the same stud centre and offset for 16" wheels, been offered a set of Soul wheels but its a bit parky to go taking mine off to measure and the Soul wheels are too far away currently to go and look at.

Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I got my set of cheap alloys from Rochford in Essex and winter tyres from Camskill. I've had no trouble at all in the snow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done more driving this week since I got my new Ceed 3 diesel auto in September and the conditions have been pretty awful.

Mostly I have been quite happyand the handling got a lot better after I had put more air in the tyres to get them up to the proper pressure. On that I am quite surprised how often the pressure needs to be topped up - far more than has been necessary with other makes.
There have been no problems with frozen locks which other Ceed drivers have reported and I have been very pleased with the demisting and the heated door mirrors. The one button demisting programme on the heater control is highly effective.

My main quibble is the time it takes for the heater to kick in. With temperatures like we have seen this week you need warmth quickly and it seems to take maybe ten minutes before it is comfortable.

All told, though, very good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All diesel engines no matter what manufacturers, take a long time to warm up, this is all part of why they are more fuel efficient as they are also more thermally efficient, that is to say they don't create as much waste heat as a by product of combustion as a petrol engine does.

Some Cee'd models have electric PTC heaters to help with this, but I have read somewhere they will only work when certain parameters exists and just sitting with the engine idling may not turn them on because the alternator would not be creating enough power to compensate.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting points in the last 2 posts. Was always told that it was better to have tyre pressures lower when driving on a soft surface eg sand, mud, snow etc. When I raced and it was wet we all did exactly the same, softened the dampers andanti-roll bars plus we reduced tyre pressures by a few pounds. When a mate bought a Championship winning Formula Ford it came with all the set up info which included increasing tyre pressures in the rain. Thethinking was it gave the tyre a more rounded footprint and opened up the tread, appeared to work as well.

With regards to demisting, the Ceed is no worse than most other cars but I do miss the heated screen we had on the Focus/Mondeo/Puma. Not tried the one button demist yet, will try it soon.

If you want a car that takes ages to warm up buy a Focus 1600 TDCi, the Ceed CRDitakes half the time believe me. Had the stat in the Focus replaced under warranty but it made no difference, on a cold day its the only car I have owned where the temp went down when you sat in traffic.

My BMW 118D heats up incredibly fast, best heater I have ever had thus not all diesels take ages to heat up.

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks SuttonSeven.

I did the tyre pressures after hearing an RAC guy on TV saying that that was what they advised. I've no racing expertise and the conditions this week have been some of the worst I've experienced.

First you are looking for the car to drive safely however bad the conditions; then you want good visibility and finally you want reasonable comfort. On all those the Ceed did well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The bit you have missed Paul is that your BMW will definitely have these extra electric PTC heaters and the way you are using the car means they are coming on, these will give you almost instant heat for a short while after starting just so long as you don't hang around with the engine idling to get the engine warm.

All diesel engines do take a long time to warm up when compared to petrol ones its all to do with thermal efficiency.

The heated windscreen was patented by Ford and until the patent runs out no other car manufacturer can use it. I am surprised that no other car manufacturer or windscreen manufacturer has not yet found a way around the Ford patent it must have been very well worded to block almost anything else they can think of as an alternative.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never heard of a PCT heater. The Micra the Mrs had a few years ago would be blowing warm air before she got to the end of the street, the wonders of small petrol engines.

Re the heated screen, not just a Ford thing, it was an option on both the Mini I had and the BMW, the cost is huge though since its always part of a pack. I also have a Caterham, that has a heated screen, its the only way to demist it since it has no heaterand it was built in 1992.

Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
I guess BMW must have either paid Ford a lot of money for the right to use the idea or they have come up with an alternative of their own that does not infringe the Ford patents.

Or do Ford have a substantial share holding in BMW?

As for the Caterham are you talking about an invisible electrical heater within the screen? Or one that attaches inside at the bottom?

The other heater I mentioned is A PTC it means Positive Temperature Coefficient.

The significant thing about them is they just don't workwhen the temperature around them reaches a predetermined level, so automatic turn off and theynever get overheated in the same way a normal electrical element could so it can be safely built into the air heating system of a car to

fill in for the period of time it takes for the engine to warm up.

They consume a lot of current about the same the headlights so they will only get automatically turned on when the engine is revving enough for the alternator to make up the current being used, otherwise the battery will quickly become discharged enough not to start the car again.

Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Caterham screen is exactly the same as the Ford one, ie very fine invisible elements within the screen. The first Caterham I bought in 1988 had one thus Caterham have been fitting them longer than Ford.

Paul

·
Registered
887 Posts
The heated front screen isn't fords idea, iirc it's pilkingtons idea, Land Rover were using heated front screens before ford, along with other companies, guess they buy from pilkington?
Ford just made it the norm, hate them personally, pita personally for night driving.

·
Registered
94 Posts
But Land Rover was owned by Ford at the time, remember this applies to many more makes than just those with a blue oval badge on them. e.g. Range Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda, Volvo, and thats only a few, where Ford were the largest single shareholder within the company, there will be many more where Ford is/wasa significant but not the largest single investor.

Kia was once part of the Ford investment portfolio in 1986, when Kia began to produce cars based upon some of the existing older Mazda designs.

Ford seem to have a policy of when times are good spread the profits into investment of other car companies and therefore be able to influence or even control what the competion are doing, then sell out to get funds for the parent company when times are bad, without having to worry about what happens to the waifs and strays.

Jaguar and Land Rover are now owned by TaTa an Indian steel and car/truck manufacturer a Chinese company has purchased Volvo.They pulled out of Mazda and dont know about all of the others.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've only driven my CRDI Sw a few times in the snow. I feel that I could do with winter tyres as, even at low revs, the torque has the effect of spinning the wheels. We've had really heavy snow in Glasgow over the last two weeks (16 inches where I live) but thanks to the B****** who smashed my side window and stole my sat nav, I've not had much chance to use the car as it's been in for repairs to the damaged door for two weeks. I've been driving a Chevrolet Matiz for the past 9 days, through the worst of the weather and with the exception of monday, the little tin box never let me down. On Monday we had 6 inches of snow within 4 hours and we were snowed in.
Got the Ceed back this morning and it felt like I was driving a tank! Much as I love the Ceed, in the heavy snow, the Matiz was easier to drive.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 weeks into the "real" winter and I think its fair to say the Ceed SW ain't that bad in the snow but the 225/45 17's are less than desirable in this weather. Managed to get to work only one day last week. Only been stuck once, pulling into the street in really loose powdery stuff on top of solid frozen stuff, easilly dug out but a pain, parking had been difficult had to did my way into several spaces. Bit of a thaw here at the moment, the street looks like glass with a layer of water on top of about 5" of compacted snow/ice, be interesting when I try to go down town.
Difficult to say how much snow we actually had, measured 17" last week one day then had onother 4" overnight and guess what, still 17". Friday night another 3" arrived and guess what, only 15" in total, I blame global warming, good old fashioned snow would never have done that.

Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Took mine out on the snow for the first time tonight and it was flawless and as sure footed as anything I have ever driven. I felt safe. Me and my Cee'd have well and truly bonded!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Eric said:
But Land Rover was owned by Ford at the time, remember this applies to many more makes than just those with a blue oval badge on them. e.g. Range Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda, Volvo, and thats only a few, where Ford were the largest single shareholder within the company, there will be many more where Ford is/wasa significant but not the largest single investor.
Ford didn't have anything to do with Land Rover in the early 80s.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts