Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldnt stand the way the Ceed (tried two of them) kept pulling left all the time-KIA's answer was its their most camber sensitive car-hmmmm.

The garage luckily agreed to a swap, I opted for the Hyundai i30, esentially the same car but drove 6 of them in the last 3 months, and all go straight.

And my i30 is the same-it goes straight - if Hyundai can set up their cars to go straight-why cant KIA?

Doesn't feel as comfortable or refined (if KIA can be classed as refined) but it drivesa whole lot better, and even though its ahigher powered engine 113BHP v 89BHP, its a lot better on fuel according the the trip computer.

Sorry its not the answer you were all wanting to hear, but my going left problems are now solved

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are being fed BS by your dealer or Kia. Ceeds are not camber sensitive at all unless there is a fault. If it was as a result of design then they would all do it and they don't! Mine in fact drives truer and is less sensitive to camber than any other car I have owned. It might be down to the tyres though. All those in France are supplied with Michelin Enery savers as part of the package to get them down to the 115 gram CO2 limit which attracts a discount of ‚¬700 funded by the governmemt over here

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I had they Michelin Energy tyres on both of my Ceeds and they dont half cause alot road noise. They aint cheap to replace either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the michelin energys as original fit on my Carens. As Davy says they were bl***y noisy.Changed to Continental Eco at £85 each and what a difference! So much quieter, but on the downside my average MPG has dropped by about 2mpg.
Plus side? Grip like a leech! Never had a problem getting around in all the snow and ice.

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Mojomoh, I was wondering if you'd looked on any of the French Kia forums to see if people complain about their cars pulling left or right? In the UK mine pulls left but on the continent it goes in a straight line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Right

Agree with the cooment about the Michelins - they do indeed generate a lot of road noise. Grip however is excellent althoughI would question them in the snow - they aren't bad but I've had better. They are crap in any kinda of mud (we are VERY rural here). Overall not unhappy with them.

M4Trundler - yes I keep ane eye on a couple of French forums and have not spotted anything about pulling left or right. All I can say is I have no issues at all down here in that respect on any road or surface I have driven on from mud tracks to motorways.

I did wonder some while ago whether it was an issue with RHD cars only!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M4trundler said:
Hi Mojomoh, I was wondering if you'd looked on any of the French Kia forums to see if people complain about their cars pulling left or right? In the UK mine pulls left but on the continent it goes in a straight line.

If it goes in a straight line on the continent where there is right hand camber-then that means your car has a pull to the left, it's the camber keeping it straight.

I've said all along-there is a fault with some KIA Ceeds, maybe diesel in particular

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mojomoh said:
You are being fed BS by your dealer or Kia. Ceeds are not camber sensitive at all unless there is a fault. If it was as a result of design then they would all do it and they don't! Mine in fact drives truer and is less sensitive to camber than any other car I have owned. It might be down to the tyres though. All those in France are supplied with Michelin Enery savers as part of the package to get them down to the 115 gram CO2 limit which attracts a discount of ‚¬700 funded by the governmemt over here
It's a pity you couldn't bring your car to England and drive on the left, that would test for a pull. Maybe your car drives straighter than any other is because it is pulling left and the camber in France is keeping it straight.

I have driven 3 Ceeds and a Rio, all went left

·
Registered
56 Posts
Darwin

First in the rural roads round here you would be lucky if you found any road with any camber at all!! One is lucky if it's clear of cow sh*t and even vaguely flat!

Second it's been to the UK several times - it drives straight as an arrow in all conditions.

Third it's been drive round the mountain passes of the Pyrenees with camber going in all directions - again no issues at all other than it's bloody good fun to drive. Note that my previous car was a BMW M3 so I am in a position to make the comparison.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mojomoh said:
Darwin

Note that my previous car was a BMW M3 so I am in a position to make the comparison.

Strange statement, does previously owning a M3 make you a more qualified driver/engineer, I didn't realise that.

I take my hat off to you, you seem to be the man to ask

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Strange statement, does previously owning a M3 make you a more qualified driver/engineer, I didn't realise that.

I take my hat off to you, you seem to be the man to ask
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha good yin

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Davy - reading my post I can see how badly worded it was. The sentiment I was trying and failing to express was that I can have almost as much fun in the Ceed as I used to in the beast!! And then of course I smile at the rather fewer times I have to visit the gas station!

On the pulling left issue I can offer no explanation - but merely point out that it is not generic to the breed. Mine doesn'tand the 2 other people I know with them don't have a problem either.

On another note - A leading french car magazine down here did a compariosn test a few months ago between the Ceed, SPAM, 308, C4, Megane and Astra. The Ceed won the test convincingly and was only marked down in the security category where it came 5th equal with SPAM and that due to the fact that ESP is not standard in France on the ceed or the SPAM. In all other categories it came no lower than 2nd and first in many. Bear in mind that there were 3 french cars in the test and that counts as a result for the Ceed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know for a fact that the issues of Ceeds pulling left is starting to escalate, I hope KIA monitor these forums.

KIA themselves admitted there was a steering problem on the earlier models, and they state the Ceed is the most camber sensitive car they make-but have you seen commensts in the RIO forums too. In my opinion, KIA have a serious probem in the alignment/setting up of their cars which needs to be rectifield quick.

I loved my Ceed, and I fully intended to drive it for the next 10 years or so, but I don't fancy fighting the steering wheel for the next 10 years either.

I realise now how fortunate I am that I managed to get a swap and unfortunately, I will never buy a KIA again, unless they acknowledge and fix this BIG issue.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I was quoting Darwin and thought it was a bit funny. No cheek intended my friend. Yeh the M3 is one quick motor and you would certainly miss the fun you had with it but it costs a lot to run one of them. Running the Ceed will save you loads on fuel, tyres and servicing costs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My fault mostly for posting after the first few glasses of the evening!!!
I'd still be fascinated to know why Darwin's Ceed was pulling and why the dealer couldn't identify the problem not least give that the I30 doesn't have the same problem but yet has the same front (and rear for that matter) running gear.

Yeah the M3 was fun - but different life down here and the M3 wasn't much cop with a 40kg dog! hence the SW. Fuel prices going through the roof also came into the equation.

Still glad Darwin's finally getting a good drive. I'm attmepting to trawl the french forums to see if there is a similar issue - hadn't seen anyhting in past visits. Sadly for the minute my broadband is on a go slow and the engineer who arrived pronounced that it's down to France Telecom and the cable to the house.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The garage had a go at swapping tyres etc, 4 wheel alignments and so on. They were going to replace the whole steering rack and column but gave me a chance of an exchange for another Ceed. I did this and in my opinion, it went left also. Another thing, with both those Ceeds, the steering wheel always wanted to sit slightly off centre, as soon as you moved the car on a level road, the wheel would cock to the left. The KIA tech guy couldn't explain why they did this so that was enough for me, I swapped for a different make

·
Registered
7 Posts
interesting about going left. Is it a ceed problem? I said my 09 1.6 CRDI GS slowly drifted to the left when i bought it. The garage checked and adjusted the tracking but it still went to the left. It was service and first MOT by the garage in march with no problems. I replaced the front tyres a few weeks ago and noticed wear on the outside of the nearside front, the tyre fitter said my tracking was spot on. I had the car service lastweek and was told the four alignment was out due to the camber on the nearside rear being out and the castor on the front being out. £77later I now have a ceed that goes in a straight line and behaves better on a bumpy road.THe garage said this should be checked anually.I have never had to have the camber or castor adjusted on any other car I have owned, so is there a camber problem associated with the CEED, someone please let me know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like a setup issue, I have occasional drift but only if high degree of camber! Sits straight on the motorway, that said I had front suspension all checked/adjusted when I had front tyres replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
interesting one about the steering wheel off centre. mine is the same, it gives the impression of slight vague response to steering. I had a similar thing with my Honda Civic, Honda said it the way the ESP works in response to the cars speed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
All ceeds don't pull to the left , mine doesn't , it can go to to right or left or straight depending on the road camber , just as it should do . Some roads are cambered more than others but generally are highest in the middle then camber towards the kerb so that rain drains away quickly . So "flattest" road should be centre lane of the motorway . So a slight pull to the left on a single carriageway road is simply the car following the camber .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts