Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 67 plate (MY17) Cee'd 4 1.6 Diesel which has just done 25,000 miles.

I'm one of the lucky ones in as much as my Auto Start-Stop has worked pretty flawlessly for the 2.5 years that I have had the car, which is probably helped by my 50-mile round-trip daily commute.

However, I noticed on the way home tonight that the Auto-Stop OFF light symbol was displayed on the dashboard - and the light Orange indicator on the actual ON/OFF switch by the steering wheel was lit up. No matter how many times I tried pressing the button to re-engage the Auto-Stop the Orange light wouldn't go off and the light stayed on on the dashboard.

Even after exiting the car and getting back in and restarting the engine hasn't fixed it - both the dashboard and little Orange indicator lights are on with no response from the button/switch.

Does anyone know what could have caused this to suddenly happen? To my knowledge nothing else has changed, except that yesterday morning I filled up with Morrisons diesel instead of the usual Tesco. I noticed that I seemed to be getting slightly better MPG with the Morrisons diesel too?

Anyone have any clues or advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Moley

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the world of Kia Stop Start. Have you checked your battery charge level to make sure its over the required charge? The battery may have lost charge since the colder last few days and dropped below this. Mine has never actually worked. Kia took it in and found the battery was under charge so charged it for 24hrs and still nothing. They quoted me £350 for a new battery :eek: I can get one for £100.

I prefer the system off anyways, the amount of wear the system produces must be massive on the starter and battery + other components. I was always taught that starting the car was the worst time for an engine. Its a tick box for EU emissions which brings our road tax down to £30 a year. Its not really saving you (fuel wise) anything unless your stuck in traffic for hours. Cost of a starter motors is in the hundreds without fitting. Im leaving mine off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again,

So, after doing some further research and finding another thread on here by someone with identical-sounding problems I thought it might be the clutch switch had stuck.

So today, I fully depressed and released the clutch pedeal a few times and started the car. Hey presto - no warning light!

I will have to keep an eye on it and see if/when the warning light comes back on. My commute is approx 25 miles each way of which most of it is on a fast-flowing A road so the clutch doesn't get a HUGE amount of use like if I were to be constantly driving around town all day - so I hope that there isn't a problem with the clutch at such low milage/young age.

Stay safe,

Moley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts