Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Cee'd 3 Diesel 1.6 Automatic.Has anyone experienced problems with their vehicle juddering at about 32mph, 1600 rpm, and an engine temp around 87-89 deg c. ?
It has been returned to the dealership 3 times with KIA(UK) also being involved but no fix has been found.
It appears to me to be a fuel starvation issue but I guess it could also be an auto gear change problem between 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
wow, i thought it was me, mine does exactly the same thing, its a new model july2010 3crdi auto. any ideas on the problem?

rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Picked my '59 plate up yesterday and drove about 50 miles and didn't notice a prob.
Maybe it was sorted during it's first service.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, My car is at KIA Technical Weybridge at the moment being investigated. I think it is a fuel injection problem and yes I have had the injectors re-programmed. For a few days after that action the problem seem to disappear and then subsequently returned. I believe the memory or whatever
reset itself and hence the problem returned. However, this isjust my opinion and I'll await the results of the investigation which is due to be complete by 8th Feb. I'm overseas at present.

One other simple problem which KIA seem unable to resolve is the alignment of the steering wheel. It is not in the centre when driving straight. On checking other Ceeds in the showroom and others I have loaned they all had the same issue. !! The spline in the column is not fine enough to align the wheel so I guess they need to re track the wheels. THis must be a quality control problem duringassembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Yes I had exactly the same problem. Got my 1.6 CRDi auto SW 3 last March. It didn't do it from the start, maybe 3-4 months old. I eventually took it into the dealer, they said they hadn't heard of the problem, it did get a software update though see if that would sort it. 2 miles down the road on way home still doing it, no different! I did let them know it was still doing it. As I had a 12 month service a 2-3 months later, and was kind of used to it, Ijust left it.

It has since stopped doing itthough. I'd say it hasn't done it since early Dec, when we had the cold snap.

So touch wood, mine is fine now. As it never got fixed as such, i don't know what the real problem was. I've done just under 8,000 miles.

Question for you guys, i have the 1.6 CRDi auto Ceed SW 3 - When you turn your key from position 1 to 2, just pre fire up, do you get an annoying "DERT, DERT, DERT" audibe warning???

I ask because i have this, 1 it's pretty annoying, 2 a while backthe soundwent all crackly and then stopped. Now sometimes it does, it sometimes not. Had a word with my Motability dealer and he never heard one do it!? He got the keys for a ceed 3 sw in the showroom (manual) and put keys in...nothing. He said he's driven loads of the new Kia's and never heard that on one?

So does everyone have this or just me?? :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Touch wood my similar car hasn't got that problem WW, although I've noticed that when I park it somewhere quiet I can hear a low sort of whirring going on, until I lock the doors when all goes quiet. I've not heard such a noise on other vehicles in similar circumstances. Must be something to do with canbus wiring etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Andy, sorry maybe i should have described that better, the sound is a proper noise from a speaker, you know like when your lights are left on or seat belt not fastened, this is a loud dert, dert, dert, warning tone! It isn't an odd noise from the car.

I just wondered if it was on all Ceed's, or just automatics??? Or possibly just mine :)lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine's exactly the same model as yours WW and there's no noise as you describe and I do tend to keep the key in that position for a while to allow the glow plugs to do their thing. I'm wondering whether it's a software glitch and that somewhere there's an option you can set for an audible warning to remind you not to fire up until the glow plugs are hot. Maybe on your's it's been activated or maybe the coding is a bit blurry in the car's memory. I guess it might need a reload or something.

Andy
Edited by: steamdrivenandy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi SilverI have the same problem with my November 2009build Cee'd 3 diesel auto. Have you had a result from Kia?
I had my injectors reset twice but within weeks the judder resurfaces!

packman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have The same Judder problem with my 10 plate ceed 3 auto 1.6. it has so far been back to the garage 6 times and has had 5 software updates. all of which fix the problem for different lengths of time and then the judder returns.
I am waiting for a call back from the technical engineer at kia.

has anyone else delt with Kia on the matter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What's describedhere is my experience as well on my September 2010 CRDI auto. Low revs, the speedometer showing 32 mph and the juddering starts.

If there was supposed to have been a fix it hadn't been applied to cars that are only a few months old.

What's interesting is that you can easily replicate it. Ease off the accelerator with your speed at, say 38/39 and by the time you are at 32 mph and you get the judder.

This needs to be fixed ASAP by Kia . An otherwise outstanding car is let down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HiI rang Kia HQ at Weybridge yesterday, about this fault and as expected the customer help desk said they knew nothing about the fault!
They took my details and said they would contact contact my local Kia dealer to ask about the fault.
Later that day the service manager from my local dealer rang. He knew all about the fault and had been contacted by Kia Technical, several weeks ago. They wanted to know how many vehicles with the fault, had been through the dealership. Ths Kia dealer said they had a vehicle in the workshop with the fault at the time of Kia Tech's call. A Kia Tech Engineer went to the dealership and installed a new firmware/sofrware update to the vehicle in the workshop. The vehicle is now on test to see if the fault is cured.
The delay with a cure, is the time it takes for the fault to be identified and investigated by Kia HQ in South Korea, I am informed.
I will ring back in a month to see what happened to the vehicle at my local Kia dealer.

packman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Given this only seems to affect automatic cars could it be more likely that the problem is with gear changing at these speeds and RPM - as mentioned earlier in the thread? Maybe the focus on fuel is a red herring?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi -

I've had my 59 reg Cee'd 3 1.6 CDi Deisel Auto for a year (it was an approved used kia). It's done 17k milesand this problem has suddenly started for me today after a year of flawless driving with my lovely car!

Exactly as you describe, it happened twice at 32 mph as I slowed from 40 togo around a bend on a dual carriageway- felt like a judder as if it was going to stall. The first time I thought I imagined it, but the second time I pulled over and checked oil and water which are fine.

For those of you who already have this problem, is the car safe to drive still? I can't get it looked atby my kia dealeruntil next week nowand I have to drive a lot every day with a disabled baby and my other child. I also need to know I can get to the hospital in an emergency! Will the car "break down" at all with this issue?

Is the solution if this happens just to give it more revs?

It was scary as I thought we were going to stall on a dual carriageway!

Also, I'm completely thick when it comes to cars - what should I say to describe this problem to the dealer when I book in? That the injectors need fixing? Or should I say that Kia are already aware of this fault?

I'm sad because I love my car :-(. I got this car because my old car had a fault which fiat (!!!grrrr!!!) could not rectify - it was in and out of the garage9 times and they did all sorts to it (software updates etc) but nothing worked. I had to get rid of the car because as I say, I rely on my car as my son has a habit of stopping breathing and I have to get him to the hospital! I really hope I'm not going to end up in another cycle of my car going in and out of the dealership!

HELP!!! I'm so glad I found this post!

Beth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Beth,
From my experience with my Cee'd it only happens at thatparticular speed, about 30-32 mph/15-1600rpm, so yes more revs/more speeddoes stop it, or slowing below thisalso stops it. My car has never cut out/stalled.So in answer to your question I don't believe the car will break down.

I've kind of got used to it now. I took it in to my dealer about it, had one software update, this did nothing. Then after a few more weeks it stopped for quite a few months then started again.
It seems tobe an issue with the Autodiesel, I don't think this is happening with the manual.
I sympathise with your fears RE getting yourson to hospital in a hurry for medical reasons, apart from the judder at that speedI think the car is totally reliable.

It is an annoying niggle that I wish they would sort out, but I'm not sure they know the exactcause and therefore solutionyet. I should take it back to the dealer but it's a 50 mile round trip for me, and as a wheelchair user with car adaptions I wouldn't be able to use a courtesy car.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your reply - I am the same with courtesy cars which was the problem with Fiat - they kept giving me a 2 door Fiat 500 with no room for even getting my son in and out. It was also a manual and I need an automatic so that I always have one hand "free!" just in case.

Luckily our dealer is 5 minutes up the road so i will try to book it in. It's reassuring to know it hasn't actually cut-out. Many thanks, Beth

·
Registered
25 Posts
we need a cure, this is doing my head in. i too have a motability car and guess what, my dealer has no autos on fleet so i cant leave it there for days to get looked at. can we get a template letter drawn up so we call all send a copy to Kia UK. i mainly drive round town so i get this quite a lot @ 1600 revs as the speed limit is 30mph, the same speed that mine starts to judder!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts