Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought a new Kia Ceed 3 last week, and I am worrying a little bit about the mpg I am getting and wondered if People could offer any advice as to what I should do or if it is normal.

Basically the book says it should do the following:
Urban: 52.3
Extra Urban: 65.7
Combined: 60.1

My car is the one with 17" wheels.

I really love the car and the warranrty =D

OK so I drove it home from Bolton to my home (Leeds)which is about 38 miles and the best i reached was 55mpg and when i pulled in on my drive I had 52 mpg. Now I was quite happy with this as I know the figure they give are not really achievable as there done in perfect conditions.

On Xmas Day I went to Hull and when I got home I was at 50. On boxing day I went to Selby and when I got home it had 49.0.

I just not sure if I should be happy with this or worried, is it a little stiff because its new? (my first new car) or do I need to speak to them.

I was trying to stick at around 70mph on the motorways and even did 60mph for a little bit to see if that helped but not much difference. The weird thing is on the Motorway I cant get anywhere near the 55 I had on first drive home.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm lucky if i'm getting 45mpg. had mine 8weeks now i think and as of yet i'm not getting anywhere near the sugested mpg. for a new engine the mpg your gettings not to bad to be honest. i've herd worse on here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah so as a rule if its a new engine its going to be lower? Sorry if thats a dumb question but I never had the luxury of a new car till now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi there,

I've got the same car, got mine brand new on 3rd November. So far I've covered 2,000 miles and I always reset the average fuel computer every time I refuel.

First day I drove it home it said 55mpg, however it has settled since:

I am getting 46.5mpg on average from a tank on my regular commute to work (28mile round trip, on mix of 30mph, and 60mph roads & dual carriageways only). On a longer run on motorways I got it to 49.9mpg!! but getting it back into the 50's is still eluding me!

I have no doubt that this should improve with time, new engines always take time to fully run in, it's just the way it is. Bear with it.

According to the computer I get between 460-490 miles from a tank of diesel which I love! So if this improves with time, all the better!!! I'm loving the cost savings compared to my last car... I actually have money left at the end of the month now

I am also still settling into the best way to drive it for best fuel consumption - changing gear when it tells you doesn't always seem the most fuel fuel efficient in my experience. Particularly when it comes to staying in the top 5th or 6th gears for too long when the traffic speed drops, the car can struggle to accelerate again needing a heavy foot to boost your speed. Often seems better to change down quickly, give the accelerator a light tickle to boost your speed then settle back into 5th or 6th.

By the way, I drive my car in a very typical average manner, at the speed limits for the road in question
and keeping up with the flow of traffic. I'm not crawling around doing a 'driving miss daisy' style
or driving it flat out all the time.

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting to hear thunderbird, your experience seems to match mine and give me a guide to what I might hope for after 1-2 years of age. My car still has a long way to go before it is fully loosened up!

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info , it has put my mind at ease. I was just wondering if I needed to back to kia as its seemed a lot lower.
I will just treat her nicely and wait for her to loosen up a bit.

I really appreciate the advice.

Have a happy new year all.

·
Registered
757 Posts
micman said:
I am also still settling into the best way to drive it for best fuel consumption - changing gear when it tells you doesn't always seem the most fuel fuel efficient in my experience. Particularly when it comes to staying in the top 5th or 6th gears for too long when the traffic speed drops, the car can struggle to accelerate again needing a heavy foot to boost your speed. Often seems better to change down quickly, give the accelerator a light tickle to boost your speed then settle back into 5th or 6th.

It is a computer controlled diesel engine, by the way. Pressing the pedal is a request, not a command and the computer will not deliver more fuel than the engine can reasonably handle. So the amount you press the pedal is not an indication of efficiency. The vibration when "struggling" is merely due to
not having a dual mass flywheel so a downshift just gives smoother
progress (and the capability to produce more power).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts