Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 2010 Kia Ceed 2 which has done 40,000 miles.

Every few miles (completely at random, there is no pattern whatsoever) the entire dashboard goes through some sort of reset procedure. All the dials will flash and tick slowly back down to zero over the course of a few seconds, then I'll hear a faint clicknig noise and they'll all go back to normal again. The trip computer will have reset to 0.0 miles and the fuel gauge reading will be slightly different (sometimes showing less then the amount in there).

This issue seems to happen at least once every 10 miles and doesn't effect the headlights or anything. Sometimes, it happens multiple times in a row. Occasionally, it seems worse if I start the car on a cold morning - then it will flicker constantly for several minutes before finally settling on the correct speed reading.

As of yesterday, the car radio won't turn on either.

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever what might be causing this? It's incredibly frustrating, and when I spoke to my local Kia dealer they quoted £200+ just to have a LOOK at the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
I would be looking at cable runs. Could be a wire has rubbed and is shorting.

Radio? Checked fuse?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi,
On my 2009 ceed I sometimes have an issue with the radio which will not response. The cure I found was to remove the cover to the fuses driver side with door open, if it is the same layout you will find a YELLOW fuse puller fitted onto a fuse which they use when transporting the car from the factory. Pull it out and leave out for a couple of minutes and then refit it.
If controls the radio, central locking, fuel computer, dials, interior light etc.
Always worked for me when I have had this type of issue.

Report back once you have tried it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
On my 2009 ceed I sometimes have an issue with the radio which will not response. The cure I found was to remove the cover to the fuses driver side with door open, if it is the same layout you will find a YELLOW fuse puller fitted onto a fuse which they use when transporting the car from the factory. Pull it out and leave out for a couple of minutes and then refit it.
If controls the radio, central locking, fuel computer, dials, interior light etc.
Always worked for me when I have had this type of issue.

Report back once you have tried it

Hi - Tried what you suggested and it's been successful in bringing back the radio (thank you). However, the other major problem still persists - after just 1 mile of driving the whole dashboard went through its reset loop, all gauges flashed, dropped to nothing then back up to the correct readings and the trip computer reset to 0.0.

Here's a picture of the fuse panel. Anything that might be causing it here?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does the problem occur if the car is stationary? Could be a poor connection and driving shakes it. First thing I would do is manually 'wobble' each fuse to see if one is loose or causes the problem. Then I'm afraid it would be off to find a wiring diagram and locate the various power connections to the dash systems. Could also be a cable connect/plug which has worked loose - problem is finding it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure if you have trim removing tools to take the cluster out and check the 3 connectors on the back and clipped in firmly?
Best to disconnect battery and use a puller centre of housing, then remove 4 screws once the trim is removed and check connectors

·
Registered
7 Posts
This sounds like a loose connection to the clocks or a possible dry solder joint, I would try removing clocks and disconnecting the wires then reconnect and go for a drive and see if it persists. Electrical gremlins can be a nightmare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts