Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have done some research and found a solution to our misfire problems.

There is a software ECU update that fixes this exact problem, I contacted my dealer who looked into it and found that this software is now available and that they can install it.

The problem doesn't show as a fault on any diagnostics system and with this being something that only happens intermittently it is something that dealers can't always find.

There is a TSB reference, contact your dealer with this number and they should be able toi look it up and sort this for you.

TSB: FF001/AS28

Mine is booked in for this next week and the steering to be looked at again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the updated software on Saturday and it seems to have stopped this problem now, so far so good and fingers crossed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great news.......lets hope it stays fixed.

Have you noticed any change in performance or economy since the update?
Atb.....jamie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe 1mpg more but that could just be me driving it better. Performance was great at first but I think this would have been in learn mode until the software has run for around 100 miles. It seems normal now but without the kangarooing motions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe it my car has started hiccuping again, its gradually been doing it more over the last 2 weeks, I cannot understand there has to be a way around this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
AndyC said:
I don't believe it my car has started hiccuping again, its gradually been doing it more over the last 2 weeks, I cannot understand there has to be a way around this.
Hi Andy,

I have been reading about a power loss/hiccup with the 1.6 crdi engine in the pro_cee'd section of this forum, and it may be worth asking about a low fuel pressure fault which is apparently caused by a design flaw in the fuel filter causing bubbles of air in the high pressure side of the fuel system. This problem makes the engine management system to go into "limp home mode". I hope this might help you, look for the post by zttman.

atb.........jamie.
Edited by: goldfish66

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe the misfire / hiccup issue and the one I have had are probably unrelated. Mine is very specifically an occasional fault where the engine will suddenly refuse to rev beyond approx 2,800 revs in any gear. It normally seems to happen within 10 minutes of start up, and is "fixed" by stopping the engine and re-starting. The fault either happens or doesn't - there are no shades of grey. See the following for identical scenarios
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t24589-st-40-unusual-problem-with-i30-crdi.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3XfN9dMEk

I believe that mine is related to sensing of low fuel pressure, whereas I understand (from forums) the hiccup problem relates to interaction between the EGR valve and the ECU software.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the misfire / hiccup has returned after a few weeks, I have been left with no choice but to contact Kia Motors myself. I have had the susepnsion issues now and the dealers cannot fix either of these problems therefore I have asked them what they intend to do if they can't fix it Iwill be pushing for a replacement car like for like.

Can't be doing with this anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AndyC,
Is the noise you are getting a metallic tap / rattle from the lower steering column area? Mainly at lower speeds over sharp (but not necessarily big) road inputs such as raised road markings? Always at light steering load such as straight ahead, and never under cornering conditions?

If so, I have it too... I don't know if it applies to your situation or mine, butI've found out there is a Technical Bulletin on similar problemsKFE08-61-V040-ED<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

As well asan intermittent problem with failure to rev after initial startup in my case!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't occur if the wheels are kept straight, it only happens with the wheel turned 1/4 of a turn to the left. Its more of a springy clunk, the steering wheel shimmers and rattles up the column.

In words its quite hard to describe but I wouldn't say it was a metallic rattle.

I've given Kia Motors a blazing letter now, I can't really afford to keep coming out of work to take the car in for this to be looked at. Its been in 5 times now, plus the misfire or whatever it is has returned. It brings back memories of the Ford Mondeo I had before the Cee'd. I just want them to fix this now as I have been very patient.

Also do you know where to look up if possible the TSB references?

·
Registered
49 Posts
No sorry, I don't have a general source of TSB numbers. The one I quoted came up on an internet trawl, but it was pure luck. The Kia USA site publishes all their TSBs, but unfortunately the Ceed isn't sold in USA so doesn't appear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I raised the topic of what I termed a 'hiccup' to Kia back in October '07 when I took delivery of my SW CRDi LS.

My entry on the other Kia forum at that time grew a view rating quickly - nearly 25,000 - and I used that to force Kia to investigate and develop a remap.

See http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-forum/40997-crdi-engine-hiccup-24.html

I'm RichS on that forum.

BTW - Hi everyone. My Ceed's done 15k miles now. Watch out for off side rear wheel bearing's going. Mine was fixed at 12.5K service.

Rich

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi RRIS I have seen you on the Kia Forums site, I was only reading your article last night. That is what I used to get the remap done. Its just a shame that the map worked for a week or two and then went back to how it was before.

Mine has done 19K miles now but I can't hear anything from the back wheels its just my front drivers side suspension thats it screwed. To date, the drive shaft, steering rack, lower wish bones, ball joints, drop links have been replaced but the clunk is still there.

I also have the ACC issue where its roasting when you first switch the CC on then after about 30 mins it starts to cool down just as I'm arriving at work. I was told that most people don't use the climate control but it seems one of the sensors is faulty. Is this correct does any one know?
Edited by: AndyC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I had a call after my letter to Kia Motors (UK) Ltd that was indeed staright to the point how annoyed I am with my car.

The call was from their Technical Manager who sounded interested in helping me, after I spent 15 minutes on the phone explaining the problems he bascially said that the vehicle will now be under investigation. I just hope they now get the suspension sorted, the hiccup sorted and the ACC going hot all the time sorted.

At least they have shown concern about these problems, I just hope now they get followed up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kia took my car and spent 3 days on it, they have now replaced the shock absorbers which haven't fixed the problems with the clunks on the suspension, also they have fitted a new turbo to see if that stops the hiccup as my turbo was very noisy, but the car still hiccups. What else can this be? I'm at the end of my tether! I am considering getting rid of the car and perhaps swapping for a Pro_Ceed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To guarantee losing the hesitation it would have to be a 2 litre Diesel or a petrol of course! It's a shame about the hiccup some 1.6 seem to suffer because it is a great engine otherwise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The way things are going I'm going to be getting rid of the Kia and going back to Ford, VW or Vauxhall at this rate. Its alright having a 7 year warranty but if they can't fix the problems in warranty then whats it really worth? I am at the point where if they cannot sort this problem out then I am going to seek legal advice and push for either every single suspension/steering component to be replaced and the entire engine all under warranty this seems the only way that this problem can be sorted the other way is to replace the whole car with a new one. I'm completely disgruntled now and if I had an honest opinion of the Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi I would personally say its crap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts