Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 09, Cee'd 1.6 CDI because of the excellent published fuel economy. I now have 8,00 miles on the car and the best I can do driving as careful as possable in mostly extra urban use, has been 53 MPG. I dont expect to achieve the published figures but do expect to come close to the published combined figure of 62 MPG. Actually I would be delighted with 58 MPG.

I brim the fuel tank at each refuel and calculate my milage from this and it always comes within 1 MPG of the average indicated on the trip computer, therefor the trip computer is a good tool to be used while driivng, to find the most efficient way to drive the car.

I have had the car back to the dealer to try and find out if the fuel economy can be improved but I have been told by the dealer and by Kia that if I'm getting within 15% of the published milage I will be doing well. This I do not agree with but I've come up against a btck wall at this point.

I would be interested to find out how other owners are finding the fuel economy of the Cee'd 1.6 CDI.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Only one I can talk about from personal experience is the 59 ecoDynamics. Thhis was getting well into the 70 MPG on a run.
You need to drive like a saint to get the figures the book quotes. Shift up at 2000 revs and be feather light on the throttle and you should get the numbers you are aiming for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i'm getting 55mpg with a pretty heavy foot in my 07 1.6 CRDi

though mine has been mapped ehich will affect fuel consumption

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been driving like a saint keeping the revs between 1700 and 2000. One thing to note is when my wife drives the Cee'd the milage drops down to around 47 MPG. She usualy drives an 08 Focus 1.6 CDI in which she gets 55 MPG without trying.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think Kia and other manufacturers should give realistic figures for fuel consumption and the customers should be able toobtain these figures or better.
Its just a sales pitch to entice buyers to their cars.

I have a diesel Rio and Kia give 69mpg extra. The best I have got was 58mpg but I am happy with that.

I bought the car because of performance and price and not on consumption.

I had a Ceed 1.4SR and it is a heavy car for its size but very nice to drive if a bit under powered.

·
Registered
887 Posts
8000 miles is nothing, these engines are very tight until at least 20-30k miles.
Your consumption will steadily improve.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have also heard as above that the fuel economy does improve with mileage (20 / 30k miles).

What with this recent snow fall, My fuel economy has been dire as the roads were covered with snow and ice i had to drive to and from work on engine idle in 4th gear.

So for 130 miles covered and a quater of a tank used !
Normally id get between 80 - 120 miles before the needle moved off full tank !

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have an '09 89hp 1.6 CRDi Cee'd with just over 19,000 miles on it, however the trip computer indicates something like 45mpg - I'm just hoping it's because the garage has kept it idling alot (it's been in quite a few times) as that's quite shocking. My old 138bhp Seat Altea always averaged in the high 40's and if I was reasonably careful I'd get close to 55mpg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 08 CRDi SW. 1.6 High output diesel. Normal motoring for me is motorway and city. It's now got 15,000 miles and is averaging between 48 and 52mpg. I don't drive particularly slowly. I'm happy with this for the size of car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good morning all,
Just to add further debate to the economy thing...my Cee'd is a 115 hp diesel with 1200 miles on the clock. Driven moderately, sticking to motorway speed limits and a lot of town work my fuel computer currently shows 59mpg. The best I have had so far is 65mpg which was a run of 60 miles to the coast 4 up. My previous two diesels, a Nissan Almera, admittedly a 2.2 barely got over 45mpg and my Peugeot 308 Hdi 90 would constantly average 62mpg no matter how you treated it. I too had this smoke on start up issue but since pushing the car a little harder this seems to have vanished. I have to say that in comparison to the Pug the Kia is a flying machine. I am currently well pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Amistillhappy is your proceed the one with the 6 speed as i drive one with 4000 miles on the clock 3 months old but i dont get this sort of milage i only get about 45 combine also i stick to the speed limit regards Jackie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good evening,
My vehicle is a CEED 2 5 dr, 1.6 crdi "hi power"...115 hp with a 6 speed box.

I drove 120 miles yesterday (only 60 of which was motorway)with 4 adults plus a large dog aboard (in the luggage area) plus about 100lbs weight of other goods !...in other words very heavily laden. The outward journey in daylight we averaged 59.5mpg and the return journey late at night all lights and heater etc on and at times air con this dropped to 56.5. On the motorway we averaged 70mph.

Hope that this info helps you.

kind regards,

Rog

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Rog Thanks for your reply back yes you are getting great milage out it i think there is something wrong with mine but if i got what you are getting i would be very happy your health to enjoy your proceed and many trouble free miles kind regards Jackie

·
Registered
56 Posts
I picked my 59 plate Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic up yesterday and drove it for about 50 miles. Started off on motorway and then a mix of country and 'A' roads.

Halfway round I worked out how to get the average fuel consumption on screen. I was staggered to see 22mpg, but then noticed the decimal point figure gradually ticking upwards and by the time I got home it was reading 26.8mpg.

I'm wondering whether it's been running a DPF regeneration at first which dropped the figure, if it was re-set to zero by the dealer and has to 'build-up' a figure or if there's a problem?

She drives beautifully and is a world away from my previous 05 plate XSE Sorento automatic.

SDA

·
Registered
25 Posts
i do mainlytown driving and 40mph roadsin my 10plate 1.6 115 high powercrdi auto. had it 6 months and its showing about 27mpg. drove yesterday with my cruise control on where possible it went up to 32mpg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I've done about another 30 miles and the reading is up to 29.2mpg.

On that basis I should be up to averaging 40mpg in about 150 miles or so.

Our local Kia dealer (not the selling dealer) reckons that the average mpg must've been re-set to zero and the avarage then builds up over time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On my 2010 MY Cee'd SW 3 1.6 petrol the average fuel consumption automatically re-sets itself every time I fill it up with petrol. I think you need to put in a minimum of about 5 litres but I am not sure about that. It then needs several miles of normal driving before it has a reliable reading.

Constant checking by filling to the brim and calculating fuel consumption that way does show the trip computer is ambitious, nearly always showing better fuel consumption than really achieved, but its also very difficult to ensure you really have filled it to the brim and find petrol pumps on level ground.

A recent long run to south Devon then around and about before coming back doing a total of around 750 miles showed lower that expected fuel consumption, both on the computer and by calculation but then there was one passenger, two suitcases and my mobility scooter so it was loaded up more than usual.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe you should have towed the Cee'd with the scooter Eric

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its quite a powerful little beast but I don't think it would manged towing the Cee'd as well as myself.

I went a little off road (with the scooter) whilst in Paignton Zoo and got some wheel spin on wet ground.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dont forget - the best way to test the MPG stated by the computer is to reset the average before the trip. One assumes you are doing this?
BTW my 1.6 CDRi does between 48 and 55 depending on how I drive, the ambient temperature and the length of journey. I expect to improve on the 55mpg next summer on a long journey (I didnt own it last summer).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts