Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

some advice please, when accelerating hard (thrashing the car almost) the engine start sputtering, however yesterday it did this so I slowed down and then the engine just shut off, it did start up again but I was just wondering what might cause this? My thought was a faulty spark plug? Any other suggestions?

thank in advance
7196070F-850B-4F31-9BE2-D5B1B9C840B2.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,446 Posts
Since this is an engine issue I've moved this to Pro_Cee'd GT forum as they have more experience there!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would say go and see your dealer, or talk to Kia direct, but that would be a waste of your time going by my experiences. All the problems I have had in my 4 years of owning the gt are well documented on this forum.
so all I can say is good luck. My Kia ownership ends in March.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
It might be fuel starvation when the fuel flow is high so if you are not in warranty it is worth a try - cheap anyway.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It shouldn't unless the new exhaust is proven to have caused the fault or contributed to it. Exhausts fall out of warranty pretty quickly and get treated like brakes/tyres as a consumable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A lot of people are modding the GT now. On another forum a GT engine blew. The car was was well in warranty and the owner was fully expecting the engine to be replaced under warranty. The guy had a modded air filter and the claim was refused.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That I could see tbh, it's why my am panel filter gets a holiday around service time.
The intake controls what goes into the engine. That has a massive influence on what ends up in the engine, or how quickly. Poor quality filtration equals bigger particles in the cylinders. With the exhaust, other than massive back pressure or heat, I don't see how it could influence anything else on the car? I don't think there's even a sensor post-cat?

·
Super Moderator
3,537 Posts
I’ve recently had a exhaust upgrade, my car was in warranty before this, would this affect my warranty at all for the issue?
Just what sort of upgrade?
Is the CAT still in place?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of people are modding the GT now. On another forum a GT engine blew. The car was was well in warranty and the owner was fully expecting the engine to be replaced under warranty. The guy had a modded air filter and the claim was refused.
I’m sure an exhaust won’t affect my engine, it’s not had any remap or air intakes, the exhaust is mainly for the sound

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
403 Posts
Once you start modding, you have to accept it may affect any future warranty claims.

A different tailpipe might change the back pressure so it could be the ECU is relearning. Or whoever put the exhaust on might have damaged a sensor on the cat with a clumsy install. Or, it could be entirely unrelated. Do you have access to a OBD scanner? The basic Autel ones are dirt cheap and invaluable given the complexity of modern cars.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s being installed by Tony Banks who are a reputable company recommended by even KIA dealerships in Leeds if you want to go down the modding route

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
403 Posts
I'm confused, isn't the new exhaust already on the car?

OBD scanner will show any stored fault code in the ECU, or any pending. It's not going to diagnose everything, but for the sake of a few quid it might reveal something. More expensive one will allow you monitor live data.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts