Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2019 optima 1.6 diesel sportswagon gt line would like to know real world mpg and can you retrofit a cd multi changer in the boot that will work through the radio. I have over a 1000 cds.
regards qpr rob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi. We have a 2020 sportswagon gt line s dct, I have no idea about the cd changer, but real world mpg we get average low 50s, mixed driving in smart mode, lowest high 40s highest 61

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
I think the biggest issue you will face on the CD front is finding something that will connect to he infotainment unit, You could use USB, but they tend to be only single disk players. Unless you could find out the connections on the rear of the infotainment unit, and then something to connect and cable to the rear of the car.

TBH, and it would help future proof things. Would be to convert all to MP3 (or another format) and add to a USB stick (or 2)
Yes it will take a while. But would be a simple solution. Or subscribe to one of the music streaming services, if you use Android Auto or Apple car play.

Reactions: Indalo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just bought a 2019 optima 1.6 diesel sportswagon gt line would like to know real world mpg and can you retrofit a cd multi changer in the boot that will work through the radio. I have over a 1000 cds.
regards qpr rob
Thanks for the reply's, those mpg figures are outstanding, my previous car was a xc70 loved the car but the costs were getting higher and higher only 27mpg £315 road tax 2010 reg 122000 miles but looked like new. Anyway we needed to reduce our outgoings now we are a couple of oldies so looking to the warranty and hopefully economical ownership.
regards to all
josie rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
visited a in car music expert and he told me that the cd changer will not work so over the many years I have gone from radio, in car box that played singles,eight track, tapes, CDs and now Apple, at least I understood the others.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Just bought a 2019 optima 1.6 diesel sportswagon gt line would like to know real world mpg
Welcome to the forum, 'Qpr'.

As you have already bought the car, you will very soon discover the real-world mpg from the Optima over your typical driving profile, in the manner that you normally drive.

It's never a smart move to ask that question on a car forum as you are likely to attract responses from braggarts who will provide ridiculous numbers, unachievable to 99% of motorists in the real world. The Optima Sportswagon is quite a big, heavy car and those with the DCT produce a very relaxed drive once the process of getting the best from the transmission has been learned and mastered.

That said, with reasonably careful driving you should achieve satisfactory mpg from the car but perhaps you could return to the thread once you have had a chance to measure your fuel consumption and let readers know your average fuel consumption. The instruments may or may not be particularly accurate so brim-to-brim checks and simple arithmetic, along with your credit card or bank statement will reveal to you the truth about the car's economy.

I drive an earlier 1.7 diesel but the difference in performance and economy between that and the later 1.6 models is marginal rather than significant.

Good luck with your choice of car and I hope you enjoy the model as much as I have enjoyed mine over the last 4.5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, 'Qpr'.

As you have already bought the car, you will very soon discover the real-world mpg from the Optima over your typical driving profile, in the manner that you normally drive.

It's never a smart move to ask that question on a car forum as you are likely to attract responses from braggarts who will provide ridiculous numbers, unachievable to 99% of motorists in the real world. The Optima Sportswagon is quite a big, heavy car and those with the DCT produce a very relaxed drive once the process of getting the best from the transmission has been learned and mastered.

That said, with reasonably careful driving you should achieve satisfactory mpg from the car but perhaps you could return to the thread once you have had a chance to measure your fuel consumption and let readers know your average fuel consumption. The instruments may or may not be particularly accurate so brim-to-brim checks and simple arithmetic, along with your credit card or bank statement will reveal to you the truth about the car's economy.

I drive an earlier 1.7 diesel but the difference in performance and economy between that and the later 1.6 models is marginal rather than significant.

Good luck with your choice of car and I hope you enjoy the model as much as I have enjoyed mine over the last 4.5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Indalo
thanks for replying and the advice I wasn't that concerned about the mpg my previous car was a 2010 Volvo XC70 which had done 122000 miles and was still wonderful to drive but the running costs were getting higher 24-29 mpg high road tax etc. It was when I read on one of the posts the 16mpg then I was concerned hence my post. I don’t pick up my car until April 19th approx can’t wait, I wheel let others know latter on what the real mpg is I only ever brim it divide into mileage.
regards qpr rob

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It was when I read on one of the posts the 16mpg then I was concerned hence my post.
Good Lord! I must have missed that post but had I read that, like you, I would have had grave concerns.

There is a handful of 1.6 litre owners in the forum and 'Tommo21' springs to mind as an occasional contributor. If he reads your post, he may well be able to confirm that you will probably average in excess of 40mpg unless you are particularly heavy-footed. When I say average, I mean exactly that as it is pointless to claim 50, 60, 70 or whatever mpg the instruments display on a steady speed A-road or motorway trip in light traffic in midsummer.

Although the 1.6 engine is slightly 'greener' than the older 1.7, I understand that the performance and economy are broadly similar in practice. In my hands, since new, mine has returned 43mpg in round numbers over the piece and that includes quite a bit of heavy load-carrying on a fairly regular basis - that's what estate cars are for!

You may wish to play around with the drive settings but I was happy to settle for the regular, normal setting after some experimentation with mine. Any advantage of the Sport setting is spoiled by the increased engine noise in the cabin due to the DCT frequently being in a lower gear than necessary with higher engine RPM. ECO in mine may save a pint of fuel every 1,000 miles 🙄 but it dulls the accelerator response and I prefer it the way I have it set up.

The suspension is quite firm on the GT-Line S but rewards the driver with good handling through bends with little body roll, even with the top-heavy body, due to the panoramic sunroof.

Those are just some of my thoughts and having owned quite a few estate cars over the years, all things considered, I put KIA right up there with the best of them. It isn't the quickest by any means; it isn't the most comfortable but it has proved extremely reliable with decent fuel economy, allied to a relaxing drive. I hope you are not disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
. When I say average, I mean exactly that as it is pointless to claim 50, 60, 70 or whatever mpg the instruments display on a steady speed A-road or motorway trip in light traffic in midsummer.
Agree.
As it has now got a bit warmer some of the groups are now full of posts on how MPG has increased. Lowest mileage seen was under 6 miles (pick below).... Within 6 miles of my house I have 2 steep down hills... Easy to fudge a MPG.
Average MPG to me is over the ownership of the car. Anything trip related is pretty meaningless.

Reactions: Indalo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good Lord! I must have missed that post but had I read that, like you, I would have had grave concerns.

There is a handful of 1.6 litre owners in the forum and 'Tommo21' springs to mind as an occasional contributor. If he reads your post, he may well be able to confirm that you will probably average in excess of 40mpg unless you are particularly heavy-footed. When I say average, I mean exactly that as it is pointless to claim 50, 60, 70 or whatever mpg the instruments display on a steady speed A-road or motorway trip in light traffic in midsummer.

Although the 1.6 engine is slightly 'greener' than the older 1.7, I understand that the performance and economy are broadly similar in practice. In my hands, since new, mine has returned 43mpg in round numbers over the piece and that includes quite a bit of heavy load-carrying on a fairly regular basis - that's what estate cars are for!

You may wish to play around with the drive settings but I was happy to settle for the regular, normal setting after some experimentation with mine. Any advantage of the Sport setting is spoiled by the increased engine noise in the cabin due to the DCT frequently being in a lower gear than necessary with higher engine RPM. ECO in mine may save a pint of fuel every 1,000 miles 🙄 but it dulls the accelerator response and I prefer it the way I have it set up.

The suspension is quite firm on the GT-Line S but rewards the driver with good handling through bends with little body roll, even with the top-heavy body, due to the panoramic sunroof.

Those are just some of my thoughts and having owned quite a few estate cars over the years, all things considered, I put KIA right up there with the best of them. It isn't the quickest by any means; it isn't the most comfortable but it has proved extremely reliable with decent fuel economy, allied to a relaxing drive. I hope you are not disappointed.
I have a 2017 GT Line S and when I was checking the fuel economy brim to brim I was getting about 43-45. My main driving was/is to our caravan, a round trip of 110 miles and to football matches, we don't do much town driving we use the wife's picanto for that. I use the optima in eco mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts