Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i posted this question the other day but cant find it now its more than likely my fault any way .
What are you thoughts on fitting a oil catch tank on a 2004 sorento 2.5 but i mean crank case breather to catch tank then to atmosphere or back to the intake pipe any ideas cheers

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depends on your reasons for considering one, I have fitted quite a few to mainly older tweaked non Kia vehicles, usually I route a drain back to the sump as the engines I fitted them to were breathing considerable amounts of oil/oil vapour, they were all turbo Diesel and I didn't want a "runaway" especially when the power/boost was increased, nor did I want to either dump the oil onto the road surface or have to empty a catch can of oil. I always let them breath to atmosphere after separating the oil and returning it to the sump, if that's any help. Really successful at "breathing" (pun intended) life into a dying engine, lengthening their useful life for years/many thousands of miles. I bought the rather cheap alloy ones from fleabay and modified them and the engine to suit.

·
Registered
'05 Sorento xse auto
811 Posts
As above, why, I had an injector copper washer seal fail causing contaminatio of the oil...you will be able to identify this easily by removing the oil filler cap with the engine running, some blowby is inevitable but it should not be oily mist...it is very important to be sure about this because if the oil pickup screen gets blocked resulting in loss of oil pressure, it's game over!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As above, why, I had an injector copper washer seal fail causing contaminatio of the oil...you will be able to identify this easily by removing the oil filler cap with the engine running, some blowby is inevitable but it should not be oily mist...it is very important to be sure about this because if the oil pickup screen gets blocked resulting in loss of oil pressure, it's game over!

Thanks for replying to both of you i have no problem with blow by but as joey1 said i have fitted a couple of catch tanks to the likes of shoguns / disco's and the like but never to a sorento i just wondered if it was likely to create any problems '
Its just i have seen engines chocked with carbon and don't want this to happen so i think i will fit a catch tank and then divert to atmosphere and moniter it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.