Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm considering buying a Carplay2Air wireless dongle that converts stock headunits with Carplay into wireless Carplay. Just wondering if anybody on here has got it and using it in a Sportage as comments around forums seem to suggest it can be a bit hit and miss with different car makes.

Thanks

Stuart

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm considering buying a Carplay2Air wireless dongle that converts stock headunits with Carplay into wireless Carplay.
As I hadn't heard of this new? gadget, I checked it out. It seems to be the answer to a problem I don't have so at £123.95, I think I can live without it.

For dedicated gadget fans, there is also a 'dongle' compatible with Android Auto and much cheaper too! Only £84.95!

Thanks for drawing attention to the item, 'StuBFrost'

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
For dedicated gadget fans, there is also a 'dongle' compatible with Android Auto and much cheaper too! Only £84.95!

Thanks for drawing attention to the item, 'StuBFrost'
CARPLAY2air wireless adapter for Android Head Units features:
  • Wireless CarPlay for iPhone devices
  • Auto-connects when the vehicle is started
  • Android Auto via cable
  • Mirror-link via cable
So to use Android Auto you are paying £84.95 for something that you do not need, as you still need to use a cable.
It only adds WiFi for Apple products....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The device has nothing to do with Android Auto. The cheaper device is for Android head units without any Carplay to have wireless Carplay. The more expensive unit is for factory installed headunits that already have Carplay to have wireless Carplay.

For me I think it could be quite handy as I do frequent short journeys so I will be able to either keep my phone in my pocket or pop it on the wireless charger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The device has nothing to do with Android Auto. The cheaper device is for Android head units without any Carplay to have wireless Carplay. The more expensive unit is for factory installed headunits that already have Carplay to have wireless Carplay.

For me I think it could be quite handy as I do frequent short journeys so I will be able to either keep my phone in my pocket or pop it on the wireless charger.
Bit of a long shot but did you buy one of these?

looking at them but found many negative reviews plus it seems they are based in the USA and ship probably Hong Kong so thinking import taxes duties

would enjoy hearing your experience 👍

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just so you are aware (looking at the YouTube videos) You can't use the steering wheel mounted controls with this device. There may have been an update but the 2 I watched yesterday both stated that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just so you are aware (looking at the YouTube videos) You can't use the steering wheel mounted controls with this device. There may have been an update but the 2 I watched yesterday both stated that.
Thank you I understood this may be the case the item itself has very mixed reviews Prior too my Stonic i had a Kenwood wifi enabled Apple CarPlay unit loved it so hence my temptation. I will probably skip it mainly due to concerns about shipping and tax the U.K. and China are not getting along so well now and loss is more likely. If available shipped from the U.K. i might have tried one 👍

Thank you for your reply

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
The device still needs to be plugged in. So you need a alternative means of charging your phone. So either a usb cable from the 12V socket or one of the charge mats if your phone supports wireless charging.

In reality how hard is it to plug your phone in to a usb cable.
Certainly not worth spending over £100 on.

Well thats my take & I love new tech.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you do short journeys how much does your device need a charge my Kenwood iPhone combo worked for hours can’t speak for this device of course. Again a charging matt can often charge more quickly. Guess it’s horses for course the main thing i loved was not forgetting my phone at journeys end 👍

·
Registered
129 Posts
The device still needs to be plugged in. So you need a alternative means of charging your phone. So either a usb cable from the 12V socket or one of the charge mats if your phone supports wireless charging.

In reality how hard is it to plug your phone in to a usb cable.
Certainly not worth spending over £100 on.

Well thats my take & I love new tech.
Spot on - really this device is totally pointless in a car where the USB port is so easily accessible.
In cars where the USB is buried in a glovebox or hidden away in the armrest then I could understand it, but the 2016+ Sportage is right there on the dash.... seems tech for tech's sake to make it wireless?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spot on - really this device is totally pointless in a car where the USB port is so easily accessible.
In cars where the USB is buried in a glovebox or hidden away in the armrest then I could understand it, but the 2016+ Sportage is right there on the dash.... seems tech for tech's sake to make it wireless?
Hope you don’t mind a curiosity question. are you a regular iPhone updater asking as Apple seem likely in the near future to remove all the ports leaving only wireless charging. My thought was be ahead of the game though we could all just use Bluetooth in that event

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Hope you don’t mind a curiosity question. are you a regular iPhone updater asking as Apple seem likely in the near future to remove all the ports leaving only wireless charging. My thought was be ahead of the game though we could all just use Bluetooth in that event
They have suggested this as a way to avoid having to swap to USB"C" as the EU has told them to do.
I think Apple could be on a loser if they do as many people will not have the facility to either charge phone (bet apple will not supply a charging mat, only sell you one at a massive price) Or any of the other uses that require the port.
Daughter is a Apple lover, but is horrified at this possible thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My ipad is usb c and i find it a nuisance for changing type of cables and chargers.

I thought that Apple was saying removing all the ports would make waterproofing much better I have the iPhone 11 rumours were that the 12 would not have a port then it was no charging block certainly many Apple CarPlay units will be in trouble if they did go this route.

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Yea, the waterproofing is a smokescreen to avoid massive EU fine for non compliance with their ruling on the apple plug.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well we are not in the EU now so see what happens though i think the Apple hq in Ireland will probably need obey EU law perhaps the U.K. will be supplied by the USA in the future. Guess I’ll worry when the time comes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bit of a long shot but did you buy one of these?

looking at them but found many negative reviews plus it seems they are based in the USA and ship probably Hong Kong so thinking import taxes duties

would enjoy hearing your experience 👍
Sorry, only just seen this. I have a 2018 GT Line S and I did buy the unit and found it worked quite well with the Sportage (although I have subsequently sold it) . The only thing I found annoying was that when I clicked on up or down to change tracks there was a slight delay but once I got used to that it was fine. All steering contols worked fine.

I found it useful when jumping in and out of the car when doing short journeys as I could just leave my phone in my pocket and it would auto connect every time. On longer journeys I either used the built in charging mat or I reverted to wired carplay.

I got rid of it probably a bit prematurely as one of the biggest things I hated was that it used the phones GPS rather than the cars. This meant when I was trying to follow a route through a very busy city centre, the position kept jumping around and was very frustrating. I believe that that has now been fixed so I have been comtemplating re-buying the newer USB-C version.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry, only just seen this. I have a 2018 GT Line S and I did buy the unit and found it worked quite well with the Sportage (although I have subsequently sold it) . The only thing I found annoying was that when I clicked on up or down to change tracks there was a slight delay but once I got used to that it was fine. All steering contols worked fine.

I found it useful when jumping in and out of the car when doing short journeys as I could just leave my phone in my pocket and it would auto connect every time. On longer journeys I either used the built in charging mat or I reverted to wired carplay.

I got rid of it probably a bit prematurely as one of the biggest things I hated was that it used the phones GPS rather than the cars. This meant when I was trying to follow a route through a very busy city centre, the position kept jumping around and was very frustrating. I believe that that has now been fixed so I have been comtemplating re-buying the newer USB-C version.
That is incredibly useful thank you. My Kenwood unit that was wifi enabled had it’s own gps sensor that was under the dash near the windscreen and route tracking was excellent. I also would find using the phones GPS while the phone was on a charging matt not a great solution

Think on this occasion I will give it a miss love the convenience though i use maps a fair bit as i like the odd routes they take me on

Thank you again 👍

1 - 17 of 17 Posts