Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine sent me this picture from the web as it showed something I had been looking for. Its a storage unit that fits in the rear of the new sportage in the spare wheel area. I cant understand if this fits just above the spare wheel or (surely not) the spare wheel has to come out. Has anyone seen where these are available from. Help greatly appreciated (friend didnt have details).THANKYOU

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Spartan for interesting post. I have been thinking lately about the sheer weight of carrying around the spare wheel. I cannot remember when I last had a puncture and, as several manufacturers are now fitting self sealing and inflating 'gunk' as a spare I wonder how practical this might be. I know if you use the self sealing & inflating 'gunk' you have to buy a new tyre, the best deal I can find on my 18" tyres is about £120. Not sure if the vehicle's weight precludes such action ....anyone any ideas/information.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My car has a space saver but I know other owners of the same car have a couple of tins of gunk and a 12v air compressor instead. Having had a couple of blow outs in other cars where the sidewall of the tyre was trashed I'm glad I have the spacesaver. At least I can't get home... slowly.

One of the attractions of the Sportage to me is the full size spare. Having said that, my wife's current car has a spare and it has sat in the boot, unused, for twelve years.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys,

Have seen that storage tray on the american forums, seems to come as standard on some of their models.

Im tempted to take the spare out also, i carry with me a 12v pump and tyre weld.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My local dealer told me that KIA provide a full size spare as many Sportage owners also tow caravans. Like I said, its one of the things that attracted me to the car and I suspect removing it will make nonoticeabledifference to the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Techno said:
My local dealer told me that KIA provide a full size spare as many Sportage owners also tow caravans. Like I said, its one of the things that attracted me to the car and I suspect removing it will make no noticeable difference to the fuel consumption.
Did you're dealer honestly say Kia provide a full size spare because many Sportage owners tow caravans? Funniest reason I've ever heard for supplying a full size spare!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
He did. I must admit that as someone who regularly tows (not caravans) it made sense to me.

Having a flat or a shredded tyre is bad enough when it happens. I wouldn't like to rely on a gunked tyre while towing a heavy load and IIRC towing while running a space saver is not permitted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts