Kia Owners Club Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Upgrade 110011 completed and all appears well. No EGR valve replacement. 240 mile caravan tow completed last week and an 80 mile journey yesterday without any surging. The dealer wanted our feedback after a month so i guess Kia think this has solved the problem. I will be interested to see if our mpg improves. Thanks Quiltman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer delivered car back, When driven with air con off still surges to the point i can get it to do under load going uphill .When dealer tackled they said there driver never said anything,air con was still on? Still waiting for responce from dealer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - ive got a 56 /carens CRDi - fuel consumption has always been disappointing - i've had to call the AA twice to the car as the engine just stopped responding . AA have twice got me going and given me the diagonistic code for the local kia dealer. Twice the dealer have rubished the AA report. had the vehicle for several days and not really been able to tell me what the problem is as they indicate they have been unable to replicate the problem even though the code hasnt been reset. interestingly this time no engine warning light.

Perhaps Kia arent serious about customer service - may be should just part chop espicially as there is such a long trail over a number of years for problems relating to EGR valves

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I to can confirm that the CAMPAIGN 11011 ECU upgrade clears the coughing issue. (like misfire)
Had mine done on Wednesday Morning, done about 200 miles nothing :). It seems to pull better and obviously is much smoother.

Thank you Supercabby!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought my 06 CDRI LX 5 weeks ago, noticed an occasional Bunny hopping when pottering round corners or rounderbouts, put it down to me not being used to the new car, also a delay in power when I hit the pedal on hills, but didn't think this was related, 1 week later got engine check light, diagnostic gismo said exhaust gases problem, had EGR removed ( fiddly job ), it was stuck in closed position & thick with soot, 1/2 hour soak in petrol then thorough clean up, 3 hours watching & £60 lighter, but no bunny hopping & immediate power when I hit the pedal on hills.
Regards
Graham.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fatboy3108.

Pleased to see that a clean up fixed your EGR.
It's a well known problem with certain Carens, not to mention Astras and Mondeos!

Small point, get your KIA dealer to check your VIN against the relevant upgrades to ensure its up to date.
The latest is CAMPAIGN 110011 but it does not apply to all Carens. Had mine done and its like a new vehicle!

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a point, if the ECU upgrade has not improved things the EGR has prob started to block up again. Its no use just having the ECU re-coded without the EGR cleaned, inlet mainifold checked / cleaned and the DPF front pressure pipe checked / cleaned. (even if all this has been done in the past)
If its all done at the same time as the upgrade you will then fully benifit from the upgrade i would have thought.

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good point Mrkia.

Thats what they did to my Carens when they did the upgrade - they also did a forced DPF regen.

So far over 7,000 miles and going like a dream.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have carens crdi 2008 auto with surging problems a blanking plate with a 3mm drilled hole was inserted where the egr valve bolts onto its seating .And over 10,000 miles its been okay I am not saying do it but its worked for me regards Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
hi may be worth a punt i had this trouble with my kia carens 2006 a while back took of the egr valve and body and cooler cleaned both and checked the inlet into the back of the engine were i found that there was a build up of carbon that had narrowed the inlet down to a small hole it was not visible from the top of the engine when i poked around i could feel a obstruction and with a jentle push the screw driver sudenly went in a lot deeper so i repeated this all around the area and the hole was a lot biger put everything back and car ran fine no problem with surge or missfire after that but i did do other work at time on the car........that i dont think was anything to do with it but never can be shure worth a look tho as the build up cant be good anyway..........

·
Registered
74 Posts
stevelaf50 said:
I have a 2008 carens CRDT
When accelerating gently the engine appears to misfire between 1400 adn 2100 Revs
Local garage seam unable to find the fault
It has been back to them 3 times so far and although they agree there is a problem they cannot offer a solution
Has anyone else had similar problems and found a cure
hi may be worth a punt i had this trouble with my kia carens 2006 a while back took of theegrvalveand body and cooler cleaned both and checked the inlet into the back of the engine were i found that there was a build up of carbon that had narrowed the inlet down to a small hole it was not visible from the top of the engine when i poked around i could feel a obstruction and with a jentle push the screw driver sudenly went in a lot deeper so i repeated this all around the area and the hole was a lot biger put everything back and car ran fine no problem with surge or missfire after that but i did do other work at time on the car........that i dont think was anything to do with it but never can be shure worth a look tho as the build up cant be good anyway..........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cheers Benyboy.I plan on doinga full service this weekend so I'll check that inlet port whilst I've got the EGR off. Due to the location of the inlet I'd not have looked so thanks for posting.
Over the next few days I need to morph into something with longs arms and a long neck because everything is at the back of the engine....time to find that mirror on a stick I put in a safe place..

·
Registered
74 Posts
its worth a look like i said i also cleaned the egr valve and cooler as on mine were the egr bolts to the cooler its a honey comb type of set up at the end egr didnt look bad...i only looked at the inlet as a m8 had a sim problem with his ford mondao and he found same thing hope you get it sorted.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update - looks like I've cleared it.. (I think)
Removed EGR valve and removed both ends. The long tube between the ends looks like a train boiler inside and my tubes were very clogged. I sprayed a good dose of Carb cleaner in each end and ran an old bent coat hanger up and down each of the tubes clearing them out. I then focused on the valve itself. I removed the solenoid and then with a large socket in the 'dirty end' managed to carefully knock the internal mechanism back out through the Aluminium body. Sorry chaps I didn't take any photos everything I touched turned into a Black snotty mess, so did not risk touching the camera.. with a tooth brush, a small brass spark plug brush and lashings of Carb cleaner I cleaned the inside of the body and the guts of the mechanism. I then put the whole lot back together with Copper slip so that the strip down will be easier next time. Whilst the EGR was off I sprayed and poked the part that connects the EGR to the engine with Carb cleaner and a tooth brush. It was like driving a different car on the test drive so hopefully I've cleared it. I'll keep you posted if it has not..

·
Registered
74 Posts
glad you got it sorted m8 the boiler thing on mine is cooler nasty stuff that carbon chokes things up mine was ok after i cleared mine but mine was blocked on the inlet into engine as i said in my post it was reduced to a small hole with the carbon the egr was not to bad i cleaned it and the egr cooler was ok worth doing the lot as i did ..........

Edited by: benyboy

101 - 117 of 117 Posts