Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been driving the same Kia Mentor for the last decade and, sadly, it's about to breathe it's last (abfab car that don't owe me a bean).

Now tempted by Carens and off to look at CRDi SE 2002 diesel this weekend. Getting slightly scared off by various web postings about poormpg, potential clutch & gearbox problems, difficulty in finding parts.

So, in an effort to silence the alarm in the back of my mind, i'd be really grateful to hear of folks' experiences' with this model...

Main questions are: what mpg can i expect urban and m'way? I'm currently doing a fair old bit of mixed mileage so need decent mpg and reliability. Including cold mornings.

Is it, like the Mentor,a Mazda engine? What's availability of parts like at regular high street outlets? Should I expect enginesurge? gearbox pack up? clutch death? Is this model a MkII?

All gruesome details (and hopefully some good news), gratefully receive.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
At 9 years old you need to take the vehicle on its own merits. If it has come from a good home you could be OK but lots of Carens have been used for taxis so beware. At that age it could easily become a money pit and that applies to any 9 year old car not just a Kia.
Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a crdi 2005 it has 76000mls to its credit and i have owned it for nearly 2yrs it has not let me down [yet] i bought it as a stopgap for a new dog as i had a volvo s40 before and prior to that a rover45 with the l series diesel engine both better to own than the carens ,but,if you want to have a mpv style estate car that is cheep to buy, and the mk2 is cheeper than most on the market,then it will fit the bill you should expect to see returns of 40mpg depending on your area and style of driving on a recent holiday [1 week] trip from torquay to the lake district ,just under 1000mls i averaged 45 mpg the best was 51 mpg done on A roads between lake district and skipton and back i covered 154mls for 3gals There have been reports of gearbox problems on this model, but what the % is i dont know ,mines ok so far but i treat the box with care. I think the engine is hiyundi ? the car is well made considering where it comes from, just buy on individual merit of the vehicle and good luck to you,and remember someone will help if you get stuck ,charlie

·
Registered
476 Posts
what mpg can i expect urban and m'way? 40mpg average.

Is it, like the Mentor, a Mazda engine?
No, it's a Hyundai engine with 112bhp as standard. They "chip" up nicely to 135bhp if you need the extra torque for towing or carrying regular heavy loads, otherwise they are very nice to drive in standard form.

What's availability of parts like at regular high street outlets?
Never had a problem obtaining any parts from the local factors.

Should I expect engine surge?
No, that's the Mk3, 2006 onwards.

gearbox pack up?
Yes, they have a weak point & this is it. Gearbox failures are common, normally 3rd/4th synchro. This can be a simple enough repair once the boix is out but normally a complete rebuild with seals is recommended, appx cost of£500.

clutch death?
No more than any other vehicle.

Is this model a MkII?
Yes.

I have owned 3 of these, 1 of which was an SE. With this spec you get leather trim, other than that not much more than an lx. I would advise not to purchase one with over 80,000 miles unless it has full history & the gearbox has been rebuilt, however if you get it as cheap as my last one (53 plate lxwith 60,000 miles at £1250!) then you can allow for a box within your budget, just in case it's needed.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to fire away, there are quite a few owners on this forum & lots of very good knowledge of all Kia brands from a few Kia mechanics which is always handy.

Mark.

Edited by: Supacabby

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

My 53 plate CRDI SE has now got 112k on the clock.

I've not experienced any major problems - gearbox is fine.
My reversing lights and sensors have recently packed in. I suspect the gearbox switch.

Fuel economy for me (mostly up and down the A180 and decent country roads) averages 45pmg.

I've never had any problem with parts, although I've not needed many.
May need a recharge on the aircon at that age (climate control on the SE)

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.