Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I just posted this question on the Introduce yourself forum. I'm considering buying a 58 reg Carens Automatic, I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of these Auto gearboxs and if there were any issues? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi fofeg101.

I have a 09 LS Auto, done over 60,000 miles and never a hint of problems with the auto box! Can't say the same for the manual ones!
Do be aware that as with most autos, when parking, apply the handbrake FIRST then pop the selector into Park. Otherwise the brake bands on the box tighten and its quite a pull to get it out of Park. Just saves you posting again to say it "clunks" when moving from Park to Drive.

For your info I average 42/45mpg in the summer and 41/43 in the winter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply Quiltman. I test drove the Carens and I was very impressed, the steering wasn't as precise as on my VW Sharan, it was a little spongy, but there's a big difference in the new prices anyway. I'll go back and haggle with the dealer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You're welcome.

At first I found the steering a little vague compared to my previous Honda, but now I just drive it!Did rent a Toyota Innova when in the Philipines recently and it's steering was too precise! Sneeze and you changed course! When I got back my Carens seemed great!

I looked at the VW touran before buying the Carens. The price difference was something like £7K! Glad I didn't go for the VW as they seem to have lots of probs with the Teves ABS modules - plus it had a shorter warranty!

Go see what you can get by haggling!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Quiltman, Your right, that VW badge doesn't guarantee trouble free motoring, like a lot of manufacturers there are too many gadgets and electronic "innovations" to go wrong. I was always happy winding my own windows up and down....good exercise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts