Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a Carens 56 plate and the dashboard light showing the engine with

check highlited is showing ?

What can this mean ? I have looked in the owners' handbook but it just said

to go to a Kia garage .....

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be and is it expensive!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You wont know whats up with it or repair costs until it has been plugged into a code reader or a kia diagnostics unit.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm presuming this is a Mk3 Carens? (56 was the changeover plate). If so it will be under warranty as long as you have kept up the proper service schedule. The warning light you mention is to do with the emissions, if it's a diesel I'd 99.9% say it needs a new EGR valve, this is a common fault & is covered foc by Kia as they have an issue with the egr's on all these Carens Mk3's. Only a Kia dealer can cover the warranty work so get it booked with your nearest asap. If it's not been serviced correctly & therefore not covered by warranty once the diagnostics have been done any decent garage can fit an EGR valve, if that's the problem.

The other fault which will show up that warning light is the partial blockage of the DPF, again a relatively simple fix which requires no parts, just an hour or so of labour & is done as follows: Ensure the exhaust is cold, remove the pipes from either end of the dpf, using a sharp "prodding" tool (old wiper arm sharpeded to a point works perfectly) poke the dpf to release the sooty carbon build up that will be present, reconnect the pipes & give it a blast of throttle to cough the crap out the exhaust, just don't let anyone stand behind or they will be rather dusty! This is a well known dealer fix but is no longer covered by Kia warranty as they don't deem it to be a "fault" just a way of life with a Carens!

HTH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts