Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im looking to replace the glow plugs in my 53 carens (wont start without easy start) but i cant seem to locate them. Is this job a DIY project and if so can anyone help me locate them and advise me on replacing them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The easy start route to starting normally indicates a fuel problem.
Proably the primer pump in the tank seeing as it's a carens.

Edited by: murphwiz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks for the help should have said its only when the engine is cold as all is fine even after only a couple of mins running and all ways started fine when temp is not to cold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no warning lights on although is due for a service, glow plug light lights up and does switch off after some 20 seconds, last couple of days its started fine as weather hasnt been to cold.

·
Registered
120 Posts
20 seconds is a long time, it should be out long before that- this would indicate that the fault does lie in the glow plugs or their circuit. The plugs are tucked well down under the manifolds- I've not needed to change ours so don't konw how difficult it would be, but I suspectit'd be a real hand-gashing job

If you get the intercooler and the plastic engine cover out of the way you canstart by using a test bulb or multimeter to confirm that electricity is at least getting to them beforechanging them....it's unlikely they've all failed, so once you've confirmed that they are actually getting poweryou can check the resistance with a multimeter: I don't know what the figure should be but you need to disconnect them from the supply and measure the resistance between the terminal and earth- you're looking for one or two whichdiffer signifigantly from the others. I'm suspecting you're going to find eithervery high or no resistance at allon at least one or two.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've checked the workshopmanual: resistance should be 0.25 ohms- this is low so they recommend you wipe any oily messoff them before checking.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Having had a few diesels units over the years, not just Kia's I would recommend after 2 or 3 years change all of the glow plug's.
Most are a pain to do, but might as well do them all at the same time for what they cost.

When you take the old ones out put each one of them across a good battery, they should glow the full length?

You will be suprised!

·
Registered
111 Posts
we used to split em up so the joining strap between the glow plugs was disconnected and just leave one glow plug connected at a time and go through the starting sequence but dont bother to crank the engine ,just switch on the interior light on go through the pre heat cycle and when you get to the duff one ( or two or all of em ) the interior light wont dim when it goes through the pre heat cycle as there will be no load on a shot glow plug, bit of a dodge i know but a lot quicker than ripping em all out if its a high miler you may ant to throw a full set at it any way

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Glowplugs are along the head at the back of the engine as you look from the front of the car- if you take the intercooler off and remove the big plastic engine cover you can see them, in a line connected by a metal strip rather than the more usual heavy cable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts