Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2011 Picanto petrol cut out while driving and wouldn't start. It cranks over fine. Cheap code reader says P1690 . Google search shows P1690 to be immobiliser or crank sensor. Immobiliser light does not light when ignition turned on- can't remember if it used to light up before the problem. Checked fuses all ok. I've tried cleaning connections to immobiliser aerial receiver ring around ignition barrel but still won't start. I'd just replace the aerial receiver ring if I was sure it would work but have read posts here that that sometimes doesn't work.
Is there anyway to check the aerial ring?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks do you know what the resistance should be?
Does anybody know if the immobiliser stops the spark to the plugs or does it stop fuel or does it stop both?
Also, can anyone tell me where the main ECU is located?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. It's fixed! It was a 10A fuse in the middle of the top row of fuses in the fuse box below the steering wheel. The fuse was marked SNSR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the update - always good to have a resolution to a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fuse blew again and again and some times days in between blowing.
Thought I'd just update this and let you know I think I’ve found the fault which had been causing the fuse to blow. I traced a wire that had rubbed through on the harness coming from the right hand side of the engine. The harness comes from the downstream 02/lambda sensor/camshaft sensor/coils and goes under the air filter box. The harness had rubbed through on the bracket supporting the air filter box. I soldered up the wire, insulated it and put some protective spiral cut garden hose to stop it rubbing through again. It’s been 2 weeks/200 miles/10 journeys and no issues so I’m confident this was the problem.
I found the fault by my son measuring the resistance at the fuse while I wiggled the harness. To repeat the fault I think the engine and engine bay had to be really hot so the harness was soft and flexible and could bend and short against the bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts