Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car Battery Change KIA SORENTO DIESEL 2.2 CRDi KX-3 5dr Auto 2011

I'm still on the original car battery and the car will be nearly 9 years old and to be honest the battery works ok if used 2 or 3 times a week, but if not can fail to start, a quick charge and we are all good.

I have had the car since new and don't recall seeing any anti theft codes for the standard radio / sat nav system. If I change the battery will there be any issues? I have looked in the manual and I cannot see any reference to codes, but if there is any where do I find them, I would rather not loose the sat nav locations, bluetooth and quick dial settings. I was trying to avoid purchasing a car battery memory saver.

Also I see the battery spec MF72-30 gl 12v rc: 160min CCA:720A Is there any good places to buy a compatable replacement?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Kia2011
Your parents must have been from Scotland or Yorkshire if your are still on the original battery ??.

My 2010 KX3 is just on its 3rd battery I have always thought 5 years is long enough if you want to ensure total dependability :geek::geek:.

I would recommend Tayna Batteries who are still supplying as normal, I have used them several time over the years.
Their service and prices have always been excellent.
You need a "249 or 335" battery just confirm that your + & - terminals are as shown on the data sheets.
My personal choice as recently fitted to my KX3 is the Yuasa YBX5335 £96.61 which has a 5 year Guarantee

Personally I don't have a "battery memory saver" If you don't use one of these you will need to reset the front power widows and sunroof safety settings (details in your handbook) the time and any radio station, trip mileage and mpg info will be lost. It is said that you also will lose some engine and auto gearbox setting until they are remembered once again after some of your normal driving. Personally I have never found this a problem.

Don't leave your keys in the KX3 just in case it relocks when you connect the battery.

Regarding the SatNav/Bluetooth/Phone Contacts I don't know as my KX3 is one of the very early 2010 models that did not have these features in the head unit.
Can I suggest that you look in the head unit handbook to see if you can save any of these to a USB thumb drive. I think I can save some of these settings this way on our 2017 Venga 4 Auto.

Don't forget to give the site some feed back.

Keep calm and safe from a very sunny East Lancashire ???.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big John,

Yes I'm from Scotland must have just been lucky, with the battery, it was fine as long as you drove the car twice a week, but with the lock down doing no mileage so had to get sorted. Kwik Fit popped 1 in better spec than the original fitted for £108, so was not that bad. No loss of code the guy left the car running as he changed the battery, probably not the safest thing to do, but worked...

My citrion picaso I had from new sold at 10 year had the original battery and my mercedes 190E battery lasted form new for about 12 years also. All my cars are low millage the Kia only 38K so not sure if that has anything to do with it...

So you have had 3 batteries, probably not included in the Kia warranty...

I can top that, I have fleeced Kia out of 2 additional new sets of alloy wheels due to the paint peeling off, so for a nearly 9 year old car the wheels look great, not even one kerb mark... I also managed to get replacement set of wheel locks as they were starting have problems unlocking due to over tightening at garage. They claimed a set of wheels costs about £1000. That said they fleeced me out of 7 years of servicing. But all in all the Sorento K3 is a great car for the long drives, just need to fix the A/c compressor that failed just out the 7 year warranty, you cannot win them all, but with Scottish weather can live without the A/c for now.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Kia2011 says "My citrion picaso I had from new sold at 10 year had the original battery"

My Citroen Picasso battery lasted 10 years and we went to West Australia from the first week in January 'till the end of March each year. The car stood in the drive covered in snow much of the time but always started the first time on return.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lancelot1937,

I was a bit apprehensive about buying that Citroen Picasso, it was one of the last of the old design. But they had some good deals compared to the new model and seemed a good bit of car for the money. My wife is French and twisted my arm and we got it and was very reliable and cheap to run. I recall the battery was under the passengers front seat so may be was protected from the outside elements and helped. It was also pretty good to drive in the snow and we had a fair bit of the white stuff over the year up here.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I'm still on the original car battery and the car will be nearly 9 years old and to be honest the battery works ok if used 2 or 3 times a week, but if not can fail to start, a quick charge and we are all good.

I have had the car since new and don't recall seeing any anti theft codes for the standard radio / sat nav system. If I change the battery will there be any issues? I have looked in the manual and I cannot see any reference to codes, but if there is any where do I find them, I would rather not loose the sat nav locations, bluetooth and quick dial settings. I was trying to avoid purchasing a car battery memory saver.

Also I see the battery spec MF72-30 gl 12v rc: 160min CCA:720A Is there any good places to buy a compatable replacement?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi
Probably you would have sorted your car battery by now but I thought I’d share my experience as well for others. My Kia Sorento is a 2.2crdi kx-3 manual late 2011 on a 61 plate.
Original battery from up to last week. Same thing as yours, if driven regularly no issues, left for few days it would struggle to start. Replaced it with a Lion 335 bought online from eurocarparts. No codes or other settings have been erased. Although the battery arrived well packaged, I noticed a leak. Gave it a wipe then fitted it. Soon after I’ve noticed a bad smell coming into the car. I thought is the battery which leaked. Took the car to an Eurocarparts branch and replaced it with an Exide 95Ah code 3350. Both batteries are exactly the same size as the factory fitted battery. Car starts fine however, still didn’t get rid of the bad smell, kind of rotten egg/sulphur like smell. Put the multimeter on the battery to check if the alternator is overcharging it, 12.5 V whiteout the engine running, up to 14.5 when rev-ing the engine.
It could be a coincidence as it happened right when I replaced the battery but it could be a clogged dpf/catalytic convector as well as few months ago I had the engine management light come on. Anyone else experienced bad smell rotten egg like in the car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts