Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,ive just brought a kia sedona 2.9 diesel 2003 .but i can not open the tailgate ,the central locking is work ,ive used the key on the tailgate but the lever still wont open ,can you help .ive check all the fuses,i have looked for a manual release inside, no luck , thanks ray.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the same problem a couple of years ago on my 2002 Sedona, itwould take ages to get the tailgate to unlock on central locking or using the key on the tailgate. Sometimes pushing the tailgate handle towards the door before pulling it up to undo the tailgate worked. It was infuriating.
In the end I stripped the tailgate inner panel and lubed all the locking mechanism joints with chain lube (aerosol can, sprays as an oil, dries to a grease). That seemed to cure it but of course you have to get the tailgate open in the first place. Just keep trying to blip the central locking and you may find it frees itself eventually.

Good luck.

·
Registered
702 Posts
LongColdWinter said:
I had the same problem a couple of years ago on my 2002 Sedona, itwould take ages to get the tailgate to unlock on central locking or using the key on the tailgate. Sometimes pushing the tailgate handle towards the door before pulling it up to undo the tailgate worked. It was infuriating.
In the end I stripped the tailgate inner panel and lubed all the locking mechanism joints with chain lube (aerosol can, sprays as an oil, dries to a grease). That seemed to cure it but of course you have to get the tailgate open in the first place. Just keep trying to blip the central locking and you may find it frees itself eventually.

Good luck.
This problem with the sticky hatch handle seems to be a fault in the mechanism and even after oiling and greasing after a while it goes back to sticking again .I've learnt just to live with it now

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2000 Sedona baffled me until I discovered Kia's secret anti-theft device (not).
You pushed the catch/handle as far as you can towards the front. Then turn the key to lock, then unlock. It should now open. You have to do that almost every time! Mind it might have been an ingenious device just developed for my car. It worked for the 7 years I had it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
702 Posts
mancvenga said:
My 2000 Sedona baffled me until I discovered Kia's secret anti-theft device (not).
You pushed the catch/handle as far as you can towards the front. Then turn the key to lock, then unlock. It should now open. You have to do that almost every time! Mind it might have been an ingenious device just developed for my car. It worked for the 7 years I had it. Hope that helps.
Thats what Longcoldwinter said , it is a problem on a lot of Sedonas and taking it apart and lubing the works only works short term

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi ,thanks for the help ,i can now open the tailgate ,the lever was seized in the open position ,after reading your replies i managed to release it back and put plenty of wd40 and its working fine ,thanks again ,ray

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good luck with that Ray.

Bruno, you're right, I lubed mine a couple of years ago and it's starting to get sticky again.Looks like I'll have to get busy again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
LongColdWinter said:
Good luck with that Ray.

Bruno, you're right, I lubed mine a couple of years ago and it's starting to get sticky again.Looks like I'll have to get busy again.
I just lernt to live with it as it is after stripping it down twice. It's not a problem if you have remote central locking just 1 press to relock push forward and 1 press to unlock and open

1 - 9 of 9 Posts