Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,my carens is coming upto 95,000 miles and i thought i had read the cambelt is changed at 96k
i just checked with the local kia dealer and he said every 60k at the same time as the sixth sevice
60k/6years which will take 8 hours and come in at £942, i have checked the service history which does not show a cambelt change, any thoughts let me know,
griff.

·
Registered
536 Posts
8hrs if all there fingers are broken. 6 at most but i guess at the time frame there booking the whole day just incase

·
Registered
207 Posts
Griff,

Don't know about the MK2 ,but cambelt change on my MK3 is at 100k miles.I'm sure Supacabby or Murphwiz will pop on soon to advise!
I called in my dealer yesterday to book it for its 60K service and asked was it cambelt change time - they checked on system and its 100k.

Anyway, asked for quote to change it and it came out at just under £400 if included in 100k service.
Incidentally the 60k service will be £110 - not worth going anywhere else at that price!

I see you're location is Fenland. Have you asked the Kia dealer at Swineshead for a quote?

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
476 Posts
Griff: For a MK2 that's out of warranty I certainly wouldn't use a main dealer, just my choice. The complete kits are appx £150 from the factors & it's about a 5 or 6 hour job at the max, no way is that £942 worth of anyones money!

Good local garage you trust? If not speak to Ivan Street @ Chatteris Garage:
(27 High Street, Chatteris, PE16 6BQ,<nobr>01354 695080<obr>)</obr><obr>
<nobr>even if you're not that local in Fenland he may be worth the trip. Feel free to mention me,<obr>
<nobr>the stock car racing Brighton taxi driver!<obr>
<nobr>
<obr>Edited by: Supacabby

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks folks,my local garage quoted £300 10,000 mile service and cambelt at the same time and half a day,
i just wondered what kia in peterborough would charge, if the cambelt is changed at the sixth service
then i will be ok as the service has a peterborough kia stamp in the service book,
my service book says 95k but i have heard others say 60k could this be for the mk3,
thanks supacabby the service book has stamps from chatteris garage 20 miles from me
and some recipts.
thanks again
griff.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you fancy having a go yourself it's not a particularly difficult job, I did it and did a how-to write up which is on the forum, should be here

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/carens-ii-diesel-cambelt-change-how-to_topic616.html

If the link doesn't work it was 13th june 2009. The book states two mileages if you read it closely- 60000 for hard used cars, 80000 for normal use, but the 60000 figure is what catches your eye and in retrospect I changed it early, better than late however! Unless you know for definate that it's been done then I'd get it changed sooner rather than later. A cambelt change is not part of a normal service and if it had been done then I'd expect to see a seperate receipt for the job. £300 is pretty reasonable, but ask if they've done one before, as I say, it's not a hard job but it is a lengthy one and they might have underestimated the time involved.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Griff: What model/colour is yours? I am just wondering if it's my old one? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to stick it out here for all to see, I will probably recognise the reg number.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi supacabby,
i have most of the service history, the colour is blue crdi 2.o dark blue

i have a name for the last two owners it,s spent most of it's life around st ives

and chatteris, it ended up just west of march when i found it,

griff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi folks,
just got through to kia peterborough boongate, and it did have the cambelt changed

at 60,000 they checked with the reg number,

griff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers quiltman,now i can pay for the insurance, next month,
griff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts