Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I am about to change the cambelt on my 04 Sedona auto2.9 diesel.
What i would like to know is, do i have to drain the engine oil out priorto performing
this operation. Also what is the best method of unlocking the crankshaft pully bolt ?
I know the right size socket and a tommy bar will help,but how can i lock the engine
to stop it turning.
Thanks Bubbles

·
Registered
141 Posts
there is no need to drain the oil to do the job.
there is some holes in the flex plate that you can fit a socket into will help to lock it to remove the bottom pulley bolt.

people do say its hard to remove the covers and water pump pulley.

when you remove the front engine mount and have the front of the engine supported remove the air filter box and remove the bolt that goes through the top gearbox mount this allows the engine to move a bit more and the pulley and lower cover comes of very easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The crankshaft pulley can be difficult to free off, mine was a pig tried impact hammer and all that good stuff, but to no avail. In the end I did a search on U tube through shear desperation, theres ideas on there, I wouldnt recomend it but it worked for me. First I would say read all the posts from the past on here as theres quite a few tips on the job from people who have done one. Then when your ready go through the job methodically and dont attempt to cut any corners.Thats what I did, I took my time and thought about everything I did and the job was a success.....also saved me in the region of £400 to £500 so its well worth doing it yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thanks to both DMC andD971for their input on this blog.
I did read on a previos thread of a method of fitting the socket on the crankshaft bolt then locking the tommy bar against the chassiand using the starter motor on the key to unlock it.
Has anyone tried this, and were they successful, and more important just how save is it if tried.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
bubbles said:
My thanks to both DMC andD971for their input on this blog.
I did read on a previos thread of a method of fitting the socket on the crankshaft bolt then locking the tommy bar against the chassiand using the starter motor on the key to unlock it.
Has anyone tried this, and were they successful, and more important just how save is it if tried.

Thanks Again.

I always do it this way but it can be a real bugger to get off if its the first time. As long as you lock/wedge the bar securely then its quite safe to do it this way. The only other way is to drop the local tyre place a few bob to loosen it with their air gun, you may have to supply the socket

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bruno for your input. Could well be coming back for more info when i eventually start the job.

·
Registered
702 Posts
bubbles said:
Thanks Bruno for your input. Could well be coming back for more info when i eventually start the job.
It'salways a good idea to change the water pump as well as the cam belt whilst you are doing the cam belt extra expense but worth doing saves a problem later on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes thats how I did it in the end locked the tommy bar of the socket onto the chassis and used the starter motor to undo it, its a bit nervy but worked a treat for me, p.s. it only needed a quick turn on the starter and hey presto it was freed off. All I can say is just take your time and work methodically when you do it and you,ll be ok, plus a big saving for your pocket too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts